Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Ouchmefoot said:

On Oddschecker, we were 66/1 to win the league before the first game

We are now 80/1. Bit odd I thought.

That is weird, I still wouldn’t put a bet on it at those odds 

It's a strange year. The traditional or at least recent Big Six are finished. It's more accurate to say Big Seven now or Big Eight. But, weirdly, the London football media haven't cottoned on to this changing of the usual suspects, so we have a media trying to play its old game with the same old cards on the table all the time. Seeing them trying to make Man United seem relevant or interesting is so ridiculous.

But I can't see Newcastle or Villa going away from CL spot contention in the foreseeable future. Can you? Saudi stuff aside, I think Toon have a taste now and they're not going to be able to forget it. Same with us.

So we'll be pushing forever for the title, and Toon will be, and it's simply going to take a few years before either of us get fully treated with the respect we deserve. I don't know if we want that anyway. Do we really need to be respected by the Independent?

I also wonder if at least one of the old Big Six and maybe two could be in trouble this year. Chelsea and Citeh both potentially could get points deductions at the worst possible times. Would be a thing of beauty. I think there are enough morons on the planet to keep Man United's revenue pouring in for ages based on legacy, but Chelsea? I don't feel their support is as deeply rooted. And Citeh, well, it all depends on what happens with the independent commission and the 115 charges, which is supposed to be decided in the spring.

People say Citeh is too big too fail, but I don't agree with that. The league wants to make money. I don't think they care which club makes it as long as the income increases. There's no reason on earth why a Villa or Newcastle can't revolutionise their revenue profiles if they keep winning. I'd go as far to say it's inevitable were that to happen.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They actually beat us a few days later in the cup after Unai's first game, think we were leading twice in the second half but typically gifted them a goal or two with dodgy passes. Not the sort of game where we want Diego Carlos starting so hopefully Pau and Konsa stay fit as don't think we had either for the VP game and that cost us.

I think you’ve forgotten that Olsen was in goal for that game so United got a 4 goal head start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's a strange year. The traditional or at least recent Big Six are finished. It's more accurate to say Big Seven now or Big Eight. But, weirdly, the London football media haven't cottoned on to this changing of the usual suspects, so we have a media trying to play its old game with the same old cards on the table all the time. Seeing them trying to make Man United seem relevant or interesting is so ridiculous.

They are the Big 6 because they have substantially more revenues than other clubs in the Premier League and also larger fan bases.  When you talk about those 6 clubs you get better ratings and engagement on your media channels.

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

They are the Big 6 because they have substantially more revenues than other clubs in the Premier League and also larger fan bases.  When you talk about those 6 clubs you get better ratings and engagement on your media channels.

Yeah, I get that. But Big Six is more plastic as a concept than it sounds over time. In fact, it used to be the Big Five, for years, and then Big Six always included Everton, too, which seems laughable now that Everton's revenue is half of Villa's. The revenues can shift wildly, too (see below), and change does come generationally. I know you understand that. Villa were very definitely regularly near the top of the table and still are the sixth most title-winning club in football history (Everton are fifth). There's a lot of revenue-related inertia keeping the current Big Six in place, as you rightly point out, but there's no law that says that won''t change, of course, and my point is simply that I think it's beginning, perhaps?

Screenshot 2024-09-23 at 12.26.59 AM.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, Pinebro said:

We beat them once, woah

I will never go into a game against that lot feeling confident.

I'm confident against any other team 

This is where I sit with Manure. They can be on the absolute worse run of results and they play us and win. 

Like you say we beat them once, they have beaten us a few times since that result. 

I hope we smash them, but this is Manure, we could play them off the park and they would spawn 2 goals on the 91 and 94 min! 

11 hours ago, Pinebro said:

They will do the double over us again.

Emery has broken many things at this club but the voodoo they have on us is too strong even for Emery to change.

Is being negative frequently like some kind of security blanket for you?

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Did you start following Villa from Emery’s second game in charge?

He's never 'followed' Villa but seems to be fond of Man Utd, maybe he's contemplating a switch after they've been so bad recently

7 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

On Oddschecker, we were 66/1 to win the league before the first game

We are now 80/1. Bit odd I thought.

It’s just because people are betting on others to win it so our odds lengthen, nothing really to do with the likelihood getting more or less likely :) 

Our defence really does worry me, so far we’ve been able to fight back when we have gone down, but I’d prefer if we didn’t go a goal (or two!) down in the first place… 

I can’t really put my finger on exactly what’s wrong, but I think RB is obviously a huge issue and being short there means we have to move (imo) our best CB over to RB. Pau is really good, and I like his style, but I think he needs Konsa next to him to do the dirtier work and be more physical, something that Diego should be able to do but can’t really. 

Hmmm… I think our title charge would depend on us strengthening in January with an RB and probably another CB 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Or defence really does worry me, so far we’ve been able to fight back when we have gone down, but I’d prefer if we didn’t go a goal (or two!) down in the first place… 

I can’t really put my finger on exactly what’s wrong, but I think RB is obviously a huge issue and being short there means we have to move (imo) our best CB over to RB. Pau is really good, and I like his style, but I think he needs Konsa next to him to do the dirtier work and be more physical, something that Diego should be able to do but can’t really. 

Hmmm… I think our title charge would depend on us strengthening in January with an RB and probably another CB 

Yep, weak at RB and, dare I say it, Torres is not a particularly good defender. He has other, outstanding, abilities but I don't think we will ever be that strong with him at CD.

I don't think we'll be winning anything until we've solved some of our defensive issues

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â