Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

3 hours ago, rodders129 said:

Only two of 29 BBC TV and radio pundits are backing Aston Villa to stay in the top four this season

That’s quite a remarkable sample size of pundits predicting us to regress based on the sale of two players and another season of European football.

But as Bobzy pointed out above, apart from the real big 3, none of the other teams have recently qualified for Champions League two seasons in a row - that includes Man United, Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle.  

We would have to do something spectacular to get 4th twice in a row, better than those 4 teams could manage.

Edited by ender4

3 hours ago, rodders129 said:

Only two of 29 BBC TV and radio pundits are backing Aston Villa to stay in the top four this season

That’s quite a remarkable sample size of pundits predicting us to regress based on the sale of two players and another season of European football.

I don’t think it’s outlandish to highlight obvious bias from thr media. Eg: Liverpool beat Southampton away from home and all the headlines are ‘breathtaking Slot football’ etc, prioritised on MOtD

Villa are definitely the underdog and I love it btw

I think we'll regress in terms of league position!  I reckon the majority of fans do (as I said, on our predictions thread the average position is 6th).  That isn't being negative, it's just where we are as a club - getting 4th last season was an absolutely incredible achievement rather than "meh, Villa should be there".  I think maybe you're forgetting that?

I don't think there's obvious bias from the media either.  Following the Liverpool game, the majority of things I've read/listened to have been praising how well Ipswich played in the first half and then how good Liverpool were in the second.  For example:

"Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah scored the goals as Arne Slot's reign as Liverpool head coach began with a hard-fought victory over newly promoted Ipswich Town at a boisterous Portman Road."
(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cgq29y7wjq9t)

"There was to be no Suffolk sucker punch. Arne Slot’s Premier League bow was safely negotiated, avoiding the fate that befell Brendan Rodgers in 2012, a 3-0 defeat to West Brom. Jürgen Klopp’s October 2015 debut was a 0-0 draw with Tottenham remembered for the vigour of his players.
How will this be recalled? Probably with mixed memories. After a first half where a circumspect Liverpool were caught cold by Ipswich, something like normal service was resumed by a team playing a direct style rather like that under Klopp."
(Link:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/17/ipswich-liverpool-premier-league-match-report)

"It was a successful start to the Arne Slot era for Liverpool, as they got past Premier League new boys Ipswich Town at Portman Road. Ed Sheeran watched on as the Tractor Boys put in a resilient first-half showing, but the visitors turned on the style after the break to run in strikes from Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah, the latter celebrating with particular relish."
(Link:  https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/premier-league/2024-2025/ipswich-town-v-liverpool-premier-league-live_sto10302694/story.shtml)

It's hardly "OMG breathtaking Slot football" is it?

• Like 2

Chelsea and Spurs already dropping points is good. From bitter experience we know playing promoted teams on first weekend is not easy at all but Spurs were so comfortable in the first half it can only be two points dropped.

Only annoyance is Newcastle hanging on to win with 10 men, they'll be a danger this season playing once a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea and Spurs already dropping points is good. From bitter experience we know playing promoted teams on first weekend is not easy at all but Spurs were so comfortable in the first half it can only be two points dropped.

Only annoyance is Newcastle hanging on to win with 10 men, they'll be a danger this season playing once a week.

Its too early to be thinking about rivals dropping points🤣

• Like 1

One game in and 8 teams have the maximum 3 points. Strangely 6 of those 8 play each other in week 2, Only City & Newcastle that won game 1 are not playing another winning team and Newcastle are away at Bournemouth, a team they haven't beaten in the league since 2020. Not that it really means much at this stage but wouldn't be surprised if there are only 3 teams on max points by this time next week. Hopefully we will be one of those.

Edited by LakotaDakota

Got some of the best young talent, one of the best managers, strikers and goalkeepers in the league. And Neville thinks Europe is out the question. 

The talk from the media overall is pretty flattering in isolation, until someones asked to put a number on where we'll finish. I don't have a problem until people give reasons why we'll be worse than last time out. Got Europe to contend with (when we did last year) lost key players (Luiz aside I don't believe so, good argument for Diaby but he was mostly flat and frustrating, making a profit was a brilliant deal) 

I thought we'd drop because other teams have key players that missed out last season. We did too but overall I think only Ramsey and Kamara would have got in our best XI who were out extended periods of time. Now I've changed my mind. 

I think Liverpool will drop because I can't see them going far into the season without the players subconsciously thinking "I'm done here now", having to listen to a new guy and carry on with all the same faces again to fight for no trophies. 

Spurs have fixed almost nothing. They've got Solanke in who's an upgrade on Richarlison but they are still shite on set pieces and have tactics that are fun to watch but leave them vulnerable. 

Man Utd are terrible and I hate them and am blinded by that so no comment. 

Chelsea are a basket case, they might be very good second half of the season and that might be enough to kick on. But also I think there's every chance that it turns toxic towards the manager and his boring football. 

West Ham, I think the signings they've made are good but not great, if we'd signed Wan-Bissaka, Kilman and Todibo I'd only be happy with one of them and he's on loan. Still think the best players are the ones who were already there and they are frail, they have nouse up front with Antonio and Fullkrug but fitness will be a massive issue. 

Newcastle I'm worried about the most but Howe is quite rigid in his play style and I think there's enough clever managers about now that will be able to play against his tactics and get results, if that happens a few games in a row could damage confidence a lot. 

If we keep our squad fit, and I think we can with better rotation now (barring unfortunate injuries) there's no reason we can't get more than 60 points again, under 20 wins and a few draws. That gets you joint 7th last season. 

I think we can beat last year's points haul but it's whether that keeps us 4th. I think it could potentially even get us 3rd

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ender4 said:

But as Bobzy pointed out above, apart from the real big 3, none of the other teams have recently qualified for Champions League two seasons in a row - that includes Man United, Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle.  

We would have to do something spectacular to get 4th twice in a row, better than those 4 teams could manage.

This is a fair point but did any of them have an elite manager? Genuine question.

Not saying we'll be make top 4 but we've got a great manager and coaching team in charge so you never know. 

CL is going to be draining.

It's going to be a momentus occasion every game because we're not used to it.

It's not only going to be physcial draining but mentally draining.

12 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

CL is going to be draining.

It's going to be a momentus occasion every game because we're not used to it.

It's not only going to be physcial draining but mentally draining.

Yes it is but the same applies for all teams in European competition.

however I do believe our squad depth is stronger than last season and have various options available for both domestic and European challenges.

im not saying we’ve the depth of Man City but not too far off Arsenal or Liverpool (in our way)

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Yes it is but the same applies for all teams in European competition.

however I do believe our squad depth is stronger than last season and have various options available for both domestic and European challenges.

im not saying we’ve the depth of Man City but not too far off Arsenal or Liverpool (in our way)

I think the mental part is the biggest thing.

I can imagine us using all that mental energy against a PSG and excitement then to motivate yourself against a Crystal Palace on the weekend is going to  be difficult.

29 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I think the mental part is the biggest thing.

I can imagine us using all that mental energy against a PSG and excitement then to motivate yourself against a Crystal Palace on the weekend is going to  be difficult.

I get that too but we have a manager that  has instilled a belief and desire in the squad we haven’t seen the likes of for decades.

Going back to squad depth - Liverpool are still reliant on very young players to bolster their numbers? Aren’t the likes of Elliot, Jones, Quansah, Bradley et al also susceptible to being overawed by European nights? 

Whatever happens it’ll be a great season to sit and compete at the European top table. 

8 hours ago, birdman said:

Anyone watching MNF? Carragher and Neville doing their predictions 👀 

Screenshot_20240819_225518_Gallery.jpg

These presictions couldn't be more boring if they tried.

I could see us being top or not far off going into November given we have a kind set of fixtures until spurs away, then dropping off with tough fixtures and the CL to juggle.

Should be aiming for top 6 though, I already feel my prediction of 9th is way off having seen us on the opening day. Although we probably played West Ham at a good time. I do feel if we don’t sign any more quality in defence or attack that could cost us a top 4 place, but I get we have to work around restricted financial rules that only benefit Sky’s favourite teams.

Still very early days, let’s see where we are at Christmas. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think we'll regress in terms of league position!  I reckon the majority of fans do (as I said, on our predictions thread the average position is 6th).  That isn't being negative, it's just where we are as a club - getting 4th last season was an absolutely incredible achievement rather than "meh, Villa should be there".  I think maybe you're forgetting that?

I don't think there's obvious bias from the media either.  Following the Liverpool game, the majority of things I've read/listened to have been praising how well Ipswich played in the first half and then how good Liverpool were in the second.  For example:

"Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah scored the goals as Arne Slot's reign as Liverpool head coach began with a hard-fought victory over newly promoted Ipswich Town at a boisterous Portman Road."
(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cgq29y7wjq9t)

"There was to be no Suffolk sucker punch. Arne Slot’s Premier League bow was safely negotiated, avoiding the fate that befell Brendan Rodgers in 2012, a 3-0 defeat to West Brom. Jürgen Klopp’s October 2015 debut was a 0-0 draw with Tottenham remembered for the vigour of his players.
How will this be recalled? Probably with mixed memories. After a first half where a circumspect Liverpool were caught cold by Ipswich, something like normal service was resumed by a team playing a direct style rather like that under Klopp."
(Link:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/aug/17/ipswich-liverpool-premier-league-match-report)

"It was a successful start to the Arne Slot era for Liverpool, as they got past Premier League new boys Ipswich Town at Portman Road. Ed Sheeran watched on as the Tractor Boys put in a resilient first-half showing, but the visitors turned on the style after the break to run in strikes from Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah, the latter celebrating with particular relish."
(Link:  https://www.tntsports.co.uk/football/premier-league/2024-2025/ipswich-town-v-liverpool-premier-league-live_sto10302694/story.shtml)

It's hardly "OMG breathtaking Slot football" is it?

I’m not forgetting anything and I’m not forming my opinion passively or hopefully coming across as entitled. Make no mistake it’s an enormous achievement and frankly wherever we finish this season Unai has my full support.

Im just looking at a team who have amassed the 4th most premier league points since Emery took charge. I’m seeing a squad that’s been strengthened vs last year. I’m seeing the return of key players from injury as well as another year gone to bed in experience of the league, European football and Unai’s methods.

Given all this as well as the intensity and desire of the manager I just don’t see us going backwards in the league. That’s before you even look at the competition who I’m not so sure are getting stronger:

- Liverpool no signings and the loss of Klopp

- Spurs no tactical evolution and an intransigent manager refusing to train set pieces

- Man U more Ten Hag and dubious signings

- Chelsea bloated squad and unproven manager 

I personally think Newcastle will h come back strong this season and their style will benefit from no European football.

Please don’t take my confidence in Unai and the squad as entitlement. I just haven’t succumb to football fan fatalism. Just calling it as I see it

Re media bias, did you see MNF predictions? I agree Villa aren’t being slated but they are consistently being underestimated vs the ‘big six’

Edited by rodders129
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rodders129 said:

Given all this as well as the intensity and desire of the manager I just don’t see us going backwards in the league.

Me neither but I love we're being written off by neutrals. Watched some football predictor video with some Northern monkeys and they all had us between 7th-9th

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â