Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

13 hours ago, Jas10 said:

👀

Rule should state only income from commerical sponsorships, TV revenue, matchday and player sales can count towards PSR/SCR calculations. Chelsea selling things to themselves is such a cheating loophole, we need to copy it if they're simply allowed do it

Honestly think we are in for this this season, we now have a bench that rivals City, not dollar for dollar but for extra talent when we need to change things. It's the first time I can remember as a Villa fan where I don't know who should start, we have so many options and if we stay relatively injury free then it's game on. And we are fooking pacey.  

• Like 3

The negative media narrative is so funny. The.experts/pundits are almost unanimous that:

- Onana is a downgrade on Luiz 

- We’ve changed too many players in the squad

- The UCL will mean it’s impossible to sustain our level from last season

38 out of 40 BBC pundits are backing us to regress and miss out on top four. Warnock the only one backing us two years in a row.

Let’s wait and see. Some of the neurosis from preseason means some on here will not be able to say I told you so if we actually progress and kick on from last year. For what it’s worth im predicting 3rd 

Edited by rodders129
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

The negative media narrative is so funny. The.experts/pundits are almost unanimous that:

38 out of 40 BBC pundits are backing us to regress and miss out on top four. Warnock the only one backing us two years in a row.

Let’s wait and see. Some of the neurosis from preseason means some on here will not be able to say I told you so if we actually progress and kick on from last year. For what it’s worth im predicting 3rd 

If we’ve changed too many players then what do they make of West Hams transactions?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rodders129 said:

There isn't a negative media narrative at all :D  This stance is so weird; but it's oft repeated.

On our own predictions thread, I think Villa averaged a predicted finish of 6th.  For most people, they are tipping Villa to finish in the top 6.  There are the occasional ones tipping top 4, but it's not the majority anywhere - and that's probably about right?  We're a side that could finish there and equally could finish outside.  If you look at title-winning odds, we're 8th (though I'm pretty shocked Man Utd are above us - historical betting, I guess).

Largely, a lot of upheaval is not a good thing (see: Chelsea) and playing in high-level European games means you can't rotate as often early on and suffer (see: Newcastle).  Of those sides who qualified for Europe in 2022/23, only Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool (the clear "big 3" in the league) were the only teams outside of Aston Villa(!) to retain European football the following season due to a league position.  Newcastle, Brighton and West Ham all missed out and Man Utd qualified via the FA Cup - so there's a clear link between not being a fully established "top" side and struggling after a strong season.

Just listening to the Football Weekly preview podcast as an example; four pundits (if including Max Rushden as presenter) - recapping is:
Jonathan Wilson - A bit too much change, European football will have a big impact and the battle outside of the top 3 (Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool) will make it difficult.  Douglas Luiz leaving is a big blow. - 8th (equally could be 4th)
Barry Glendenning - European football coping not as big an issue as Emery a master at juggling European football.  Transfer business largely done early (sign of a well run club).  Bangs on about how much he likes Watkins.  Thinks we'll have a good league season and do well in the CL.  Mentioned later a possible problem with expectations being too high in the fanbase. - 4th
Jordan Jarrett-Bryan (trolled Villa last season) - Emery the best thing about the club; saying something as there's so much good at the club.  No noise or negativity around the club.  Going to have a really good season and, as Barry, we'll embrace the CL.  One of the most rounded squads in the league, top keeper, top goalscorer and rounded midfield with a strong defence particularly at home.  Having a really, really good season and will surprise people who think we might tail off from "second season" syndrome.  Luiz a big loss, Diaby not so much. - 2nd
Max Rushden - 4th to 8th a bit of a cointoss. 5th.

NEGATIVE?  Not at all.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There isn't a negative media narrative at all :D  This stance is so weird; but it's oft repeated.

On our own predictions thread, I think Villa averaged a predicted finish of 6th.  For most people, they are tipping Villa to finish in the top 6.  There are the occasional ones tipping top 4, but it's not the majority anywhere - and that's probably about right?  We're a side that could finish there and equally could finish outside.  If you look at title-winning odds, we're 8th (though I'm pretty shocked Man Utd are above us - historical betting, I guess).

Largely, a lot of upheaval is not a good thing (see: Chelsea) and playing in high-level European games means you can't rotate as often early on and suffer (see: Newcastle).  Of those sides who qualified for Europe in 2022/23, only Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool (the clear "big 3" in the league) were the only teams outside of Aston Villa(!) to retain European football the following season due to a league position.  Newcastle, Brighton and West Ham all missed out and Man Utd qualified via the FA Cup - so there's a clear link between not being a fully established "top" side and struggling after a strong season.

Just listening to the Football Weekly preview podcast as an example; four pundits (if including Max Rushden as presenter) - recapping is:
Jonathan Wilson - A bit too much change, European football will have a big impact and the battle outside of the top 3 (Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool) will make it difficult.  Douglas Luiz leaving is a big blow. - 8th (equally could be 4th)
Barry Glendenning - European football coping not as big an issue as Emery a master at juggling European football.  Transfer business largely done early (sign of a well run club).  Bangs on about how much he likes Watkins.  Thinks we'll have a good league season and do well in the CL.  Mentioned later a possible problem with expectations being too high in the fanbase. - 4th
Jordan Jarrett-Bryan (trolled Villa last season) - Emery the best thing about the club; saying something as there's so much good at the club.  No noise or negativity around the club.  Going to have a really good season and, as Barry, we'll embrace the CL.  One of the most rounded squads in the league, top keeper, top goalscorer and rounded midfield with a strong defence particularly at home.  Having a really, really good season and will surprise people who think we might tail off from "second season" syndrome.  Luiz a big loss, Diaby not so much. - 2nd

NEGATIVE?  Not at all.

Max Rushden always so bloody insightful

• Haha 1

Just now, MSvillain said:

Max Rushden always so bloody insightful

😂 In fairness, he’s presenting it - doesn’t give any analysis on any of the teams. 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

NEGATIVE?  Not at all.

Only two of 29 BBC TV and radio pundits are backing Aston Villa to stay in the top four this season

That’s quite a remarkable sample size of pundits predicting us to regress based on the sale of two players and another season of European football.

I don’t think it’s outlandish to highlight obvious bias from thr media. Eg: Liverpool beat Southampton away from home and all the headlines are ‘breathtaking Slot football’ etc, prioritised on MOtD

Villa are definitely the underdog and I love it btw

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â