Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

I feel more apprehensive for this season than excited, not sure where my optimism has gone. I agree with some of the other posters, 8th feels like the most likely finish for us.

• Like 2

I don't really mean this, but It doesn't matter what would have happened, it was always going to be hard to repeat last season, that's why I said to enjoy it whilst it was happening, it might be a long time before we're this good again, Champions League qualification doesn't mean we're suddely going to buy a load of great players and starting wining trophies, which is why Conference League was so important to try and win, whilst we had a genuine chance to win something .We've lost one of our best and most important players in Luiz, our best academy player in Kellyman, and a lost one of our most important attackers, Diaby played more PL minutes than Bailey, history keeps repeating itself, we've brought in unproven rookies Philogene, Iling-Junior, and Barrenechea, old timer Barkley, Barkley? Onana who most Everton fans don't rate, Maatsen who has had one good season at decent level, when we got top four I bet no one was dreamng of this transfer activity. Pre-season we have been poor, it's only pre-season you roar, but the conceding of goals goes back into the season proper, five against Palace, three against Liverpool, and Brentford, four against Manchester City, another four against Olympiacos, 6-2 on aggregate, all this within the last ten games of the season

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, useless said:

Pre-season we have been poor, it's only pre-season you roar, but the conceding of goals goes back into the season proper, five against Palace, three against Liverpool, and Brentford, four against Manchester City, another four against Olympiacos, 6-2 on aggregate, all this within the last ten games of the season

Palace was a dead rubber and we had Olsen in goal and no Pau. Man City away, well it's Man City away. We also had Olsen in goal and was the joint most changes to the starting XI we'd made from the previous game, no Pau, Iroegbunam's first league start. The game it was joint with was the Brentford game that followed and we were right in the middle of our most turbulent period in terms of team selection. Those last 8 games of the season we averaged 3.3 starting line up changes game-to-game, alongside probably our most limited squad availability. Prior to that the season average number of changes was 1.3. Inconsistent selections from an ever decreasing pool of burnt-out players is hardly a recipe for a solid defense.

I've put up stats before which show our excellent record with Pau in the side. He's still there, with a back line that has at very least stayed the same, with some expectation that it could be improved even further. Add to this, we've added at least two players in Onana and Enzo who look more capable of replicating the defensive impact of Kamara than what we had available as cover last season.

Speaking of cover, the rest of the additions thus far look like improvements in terms of both quality and numbers on what we had last season. Which should go some way to dealing with the selection issues and burn out towards the end of last season.

40 minutes ago, useless said:

our best academy player in Kellyman

Not sure this has any impact on us this season except a positive one by giving us more room to maneuver in the market 

45 minutes ago, useless said:

Maatsen who has had one good season at decent level

“Decent level”? He played in the Champions League final!

I’m usually a big fan of your posts @useless but come on.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I don't really mean this, but It doesn't matter what would have happened, it was always going to be hard to repeat last season, that's why I said to enjoy it whilst it was happening, it might be a long time before we're this good again, Champions League qualification doesn't mean we're suddely going to buy a load of great players and starting wining trophies, which is why Conference League was so important to try and win, whilst we had a genuine chance to win something .We've lost one of our best and most important players in Luiz, our best academy player in Kellyman, and a lost one of our most important attackers, Diaby played more PL minutes than Bailey, history keeps repeating itself, we've brought in unproven rookies Philogene, Iling-Junior, and Barrenechea, old timer Barkley, Barkley? Onana who most Everton fans don't rate, Maatsen who has had one good season at decent level, when we got top four I bet no one was dreamng of this transfer activity. Pre-season we have been poor, it's only pre-season you roar, but the conceding of goals goes back into the season proper, five against Palace, three against Liverpool, and Brentford, four against Manchester City, another four against Olympiacos, 6-2 on aggregate, all this within the last ten games of the season

I usually agree with your many of your posts, but this one especially I really don’t. The rookies you mentioned were clearly for the squad. Regarding Diaby, if he was really one of our best attackers I’d ask you and everyone here: who would you sell out of (Watkins, Bailey, Diaby, Ramsey, Rogers), by answering that you’ll know he’s less important than them (particularly it’s about our tactics rather than him being bad). 

We’re better than how we’ve ended the season, but we’re worse than when we began the season (mainly because Kamara isn’t available and that’s something no one can fix). Luiz going that way was clearly a loss, and not the best deal, but we were forced to. Again if we had Kamara I think a lot of the Luiz effect will be eliminated wether playing both him and Onana, or whatever. 
Basically we’re much better now than if we kept Luiz and Diaby while not getting anyone. 

Useless has his creative ways of posting but I think he's touching on a nerve a few are in denial about.

Luiz-Kamara was simply a great midfield combination for us and the stats pretty much back it up. When they both started we rarely lost and really didn't concede more than a goal a game bar that freak Newcastle 5-1 12 months ago.

We all know how important central midfield is in the modern game when you see Man. City losing games whenever Rodri is suspended.

We currently have a collection of decent to good CMs but I think it's going to be a really big ask to find a cental midfield as effective as what we had for 3/4s of last season. SJM-Tielemans can do a decent job with their experience but spending that amount on Onana means he has to start and he wasn't really the major CM signing I was expecting.

Hard to see us replicating last season when we're weaker in the central area but if any manager can prove me wrong it's the Don.

• Like 1

Basically need Onana to step up from the get go and be worth his price tag.

Main thing is can he replicate Kamara's ability to drop in and collect the ball from the defence under pressure. Not something he'd have had to do much at Everton. I didn't see much of pre season, but the bits i saw he seemed pretty good on the ball? Playing alongside his countryman should hopefully help.

We at least have some depth in CM this time - back ups are Barkley and Enzo rather than Chambers and Iroegbunam, and now we have a proper 2nd RB as well, who has really impressed pre-season.

Also added some height generally as well; even winger wise Philogene is listed at 5ft11 so more physical than Diaby - key is can he provide similar attacking output.

Buendia back, full season of Rogers etc so there are positives.

Weakness is CB - we dont know how Mings will come back so will definitely need cover at LCB, plus Carlos seems to be off.

Also Duran as 2nd striker option is ok ability/potential wise, but all the other stuff in the background make that risky.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Useless has his creative ways of posting but I think he's touching on a nerve a few are in denial about.

Luiz-Kamara was simply a great midfield combination for us and the stats pretty much back it up. When they both started we rarely lost and really didn't concede more than a goal a game bar that freak Newcastle 5-1 12 months ago.

We all know how important central midfield is in the modern game when you see Man. City losing games whenever Rodri is suspended.

We currently have a collection of decent to good CMs but I think it's going to be a really big ask to find a cental midfield as effective as what we had for 3/4s of last season. SJM-Tielemans can do a decent job with their experience but spending that amount on Onana means he has to start and he wasn't really the major CM signing I was expecting.

Hard to see us replicating last season when we're weaker in the central area but if any manager can prove me wrong it's the Don.

They did more than a decent job against Arsenal away when Kamara was out and Luiz was suspended, was one of our best performances of the whole season.

The starting midfield might appear weaker on paper, but we have greater depth now. Not having to bring Chambers on is a plus IMO.

8 hours ago, useless said:

We ought to get you in the dressing room before the first match to deliver this inspiring talk to the players. Just what is needed!

• Haha 2

I do think people are forgetting that so much of last seasons limping at the business end was due to sheer levels of fatigue because of injuries and the need to play guys whose legs were dead and in desperate need for rotation because the 2nd options were gash and Emery clearly didn't rate them. Think about the Olympiacos 2nd leg. The players were running on absolute fumes. I do think 4th will be very tough but to suggest anything higher than 8th is unlikely is just daft, we are now equipped with a full 2nd 11 of Emery signings that should enable us to minimize the impact of injuries and navigate deep cup runs.

Edited by Caddy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like to think we're building a squad with the next 5-10 years in mind. Not just for this season. I have a lot of faith in or trajectory, albeit we'll probably see a drop off in our second season(challenging for the top four). 

I expect a rather poor start to the season while our team settles. From there on, it's only upwards. Any setbacks now, I rather see as growing pains.

• Like 1

Optimism is relative to expectations....

Do I think we will the league... No

Do I think we'll piss in top 4.... No

Do I think we will challenge for top 4, and be highly likely to finish top 6.... Yes

I am optimistic about the coming season 🙂

• Like 3

On 14/08/2024 at 19:46, VillaChris said:

When they both started we rarely lost and really didn't concede more than a goal a game bar that freak Newcastle 5-1 12 months ago.

Liverpool 3 - 0 Villa

Forest 2 - 0 Villa

Villa 1 - 3 Chelsea

Villa 1 - United 2

They were a good partnership, but they can be improved upon.

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

👀

Wouldn’t that be great to see Man City and Chelsea banished, 2 clubs who have hugely prospered from years of cheating the competition. They were nothing clubs who cheated their way to global acclaim. 

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Wouldn’t that be great to see Man City and Chelsea banished, 2 clubs who have hugely prospered from years of cheating the competition. They were nothing clubs who cheated their way to global acclaim. 

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Optimism is relative to expectations....

Do I think we will the league... No

Do I think we'll piss in top 4.... No

Do I think we will challenge for top 4, and be highly likely to finish top 6.... Yes

I am optimistic about the coming season 🙂

Means **** all mate. The most important thing is to win the transfer window and sign as many players as possible. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Liverpool 3 - 0 Villa

Forest 2 - 0 Villa

Villa 1 - 3 Chelsea

Villa 1 - United 2

They were a good partnership, but they can be improved upon.

Chelsea was cup, we kept a clean sheet down in the league with those two. Man. United game was 1-1 when Kamara went off injured.

I make it we conceded more than one goal in only three games last season out of around 22 that Kamara-Luiz started together so that is an incredible record and hard to see us replicating those stats again.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â