Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, sne said:

Think we will be around mid-table come Christmas before we hopefully start to gel. Just hope people have faith in the process and don't start demanding we revert back to Steve Bruce sitting deep without the ball and battening down the hatches.

Once we gel I think we will start moving up the table. How far is anyone's guess but I doubt it will be top 4 this season. And that's OK because it's a marathon not a sprint and the players signed this summer (apart from maybe Ross) have the next few seasons in mind.

There isn’t a world in which we are mid table and the Villa fans don’t hound Emery out. 

• Sad 1

Judging by the general air of panic on the site tonight, I think the process of turning against Emery and all of the players who got us to CL football has already begun. Will be interested to see who the hanging mob choose as their new champion.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How do you think we'll do this year? 

How would you assess our recent performances in pre season? 

We will start slow and will probably lose the first two games. 

But we’ll assemble the squad that Emery wants (hopefully Felix) by the end of the window.

We’ll then hit our stride and be in the fight for Champions League until the end.

Pre season means nothing. Especially for a club like us when our three best players only came back less than a week ago. 

• Like 1

The thing is with man utd and Chelsea is that on paper they look good, they have good players but then in reality they're always in turmoil, always got a problem hanging over them, surrounded by negativity and as a result the players underperform or generally at times don't give a ****

Us on the other hand last season, and Newcastle the year before it, surrounded ourselves in positivity and got the opposite results, we played out of our skin

Football is a simple game sometimes, don't drag us down, enjoy it, personally I don't think we will be as good as last year, I think there's times where we'll struggle and we'll probably finish about 6th...the world is not going to end because of that 

We're also not going to win the CL, sorry, again just enjoy it

The only thing I'll be bitterly disappointed with is 2 shit cup exits (again) 

If we get 6th, win a cup, play some massive CL nights that go down in folklore then that'll be ok 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

Bit concerned myself. Our first team has become weaker if anything, still time to change that but as of now that's not good. 

Biggest problem for me is we are still conceding goals for fun. This wasn't just an end of season blip, we done it all through last season and it doesn't look like changing anytime soon. 

I know its pre season but i been saying this myself. I don't think we have made ourselves stronger at all. I think we look weaker from the games ive seen in pre season.

We look slower as a team, still making sloppy mistakes at the back and we dont ahve that same presence in midfield without luiz. We are also conceding far too many goals as well and not scoring enough.

Although these are my concerns it ia hard to judge as we havent had ollie konsa or  martinez.

But man we desperately need a replacement for luiz and someone who can challenge ollie up top

Edited by Demitri_C

I agree. Our starting 11 is weaker than our starting 11 last year. 

We finished 4th due to the wonderful start where we could’ve been 1st at Christmas. I just can’t see us hitting those heights. This maybe a transitional season. Think we’ll finish 6th. 

We’ve lost Dougie, Onana is a baller but not sure he brings the creativity Luiz had. 

We haven’t replace Diabys goals or assists. 

I don’t think we’ve replaced the assists or goals in the team yet. 

One or two on here get extremely wound up if you are in any way critical of the club. I have full faith in Monchi and Emery. 

Yet, at the same time,  it is shaping up as more of a transitional season than I'd have liked. The squad has more depth but we have lost 2 quality players from the team and we also have Kamara out injured. Onana can only replace one of Luiz and Kamara and Philogene has big boots to fill with Diaby's quality. Whatever way you look at it that is a big ask, to fill those three key positions from the team that soared last August-December.

I have said it 3 or 4 times and will repeat it. I would have taken the money for Duran and used it to bring in the no. 10 Emery wanted. Would have been nice for that player to be in the building, learning the system and playing a pre season game. 

We may still get the player in but the season will likely have already started and I think for the sake of a few million we could have had them in for the first game and settled 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I agree. Our starting 11 is weaker than our starting 11 last year. 

We finished 4th due to the wonderful start where we could’ve been 1st at Christmas. I just can’t see us hitting those heights. This maybe a transitional season. Think we’ll finish 6th. 

We’ve lost Dougie, Onana is a baller but not sure he brings the creativity Luiz had. 

We haven’t replace Diabys goals or assists. 

I don’t think we’ve replaced the assists or goals in the team yet. 

Thats where im at. We are not strong enough it appears for a top 4 fonisha again

I just hope next summer if we dont get CL all our better players dont want to move to CL clubs. Thats abit of a worry.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Oh boy are we gonna struggle without Dougie. 

I hope I’m wrong but I feel we should’ve sold Ramsey instead of Luiz. 

Not sure our window has been as good as good the teams chasing us. 

But Luiz wanted to go to Juve. There was no option but to sell him. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats where im at. We are not strong enough it appears for a top 4 fonisha again

I just hope next summer if we dont get CL all our better players dont want to move to CL clubs. Thats abit of a worry.

You would have thought with being able to offer champions league we would have our strongest squad for the longest time.

Seemingly not even that is enough anymore.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You would have thought with being able to offer champions league we would have our strongest squad for the longest time.

Seemingly not even that is enough anymore.

This team didnt finish 4th l ast year so ots too early to say "strongest squad for the longest time"

The team last season on paper seems stronger than this one in my opinion. Guess we will see soon once season starts who is right 

41 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

We’ve basically lost 3 starters and bought in one. 
Kamara won’t be ready till March time if we go on Buendia and Mings recovery time. 

Onana and Maatsen is 2 starters. Buendia back from injury another

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Judging by the general air of panic on the site tonight, I think the process of turning against Emery and all of the players who got us to CL football has already begun. Will be interested to see who the hanging mob choose as their new champion.

Pau Torres is my guess.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I would like to think that will not happen.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

There isn’t a world in which we are mid table and the Villa fans don’t hound Emery out. 

Depends what the definition of mid table is, 8th-9th can be that but we may only be 3-4 points off top 6 so still in contention for Europa League or even CL if it goes down to 5th.

Last season the points difference between 5th-8th was six points (66-60 points).

If we're 12/13th then something has gone seriously wrong considering we coped with half our regular team out injured for long spells last season and had a long Euro campaign.

I just don't believe that will happen under a manager of Emery's calibre.

I would say I think the loss of Dougie is overplayed. He was phenomenal first half of season. Second half he was at times a liability. Don’t get me wrong he’s a baller but in his time at Villa you can narrow down his good times to about 1 year of football. 

edit: one year of good football is hyperbole and the wrong thing to say, but I do think there’s some revisionism around his time at Villa. First couple of seasons we’d have been happy getting our money back and when he hit his stride he was hot and cold. He was a £60m footballer for about a year in total I’d say. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â