Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

Bit concerned myself. Our first team has become weaker if anything, still time to change that but as of now that's not good. 

Biggest problem for me is we are still conceding goals for fun. This wasn't just an end of season blip, we done it all through last season and it doesn't look like changing anytime soon. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I was a bit surprised to see Four Four Two predict 8th for us, 7th for Chelsea, 6th for Newcastle, 5th for Spurs and 4th for Man Utd.

Are we forever doomed to be seen this way no matter what we achieve?

I think it's hard to predict where all of those sides + West Ham and possibly more finish. Loads of injuries scattered around last season, business being done since, number of games to be played etc. On paper it's hard to split a lot of these sides quality-wise as well as the quality of coaching. 

Villa could have a perfectly decent season points-wise and still finish about 8th depending on how other sides perform. I'm still just appreciating the position we're in rather than expecting it now, would personally be content with maintaining European football and establishing ourselves as regulars in that regard.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Bit concerned myself. Our first team has become weaker if anything, still time to change that but as of now that's not good. 

Biggest problem for me is we are still conceding goals for fun. This wasn't just an end of season blip, we done it all through last season and it doesn't look like changing anytime soon. 

It's Kamara. We've desperately missed him ever since he got injured.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's Kamara. We've desperately missed him ever since he got injured.

Wasn't Onana meant to plug that hole (KW.gif)? He seems to be neither doing that nor the Luiz role

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Wasn't Onana meant to plug that hole (KW.gif)? 

No. Onana, McGinn and Kamara will be our starting 3 in midfield once we have them all fit. 

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wasn't Onana meant to plug that hole (KW.gif)? He seems to be neither doing that nor the Luiz role

Not really. They're different sorts of players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I was a bit surprised to see Four Four Two predict 8th for us, 7th for Chelsea, 6th for Newcastle, 5th for Spurs and 4th for Man Utd.

Are we forever doomed to be seen this way no matter what we achieve?

We haven't really achieved anything yet 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'm concerned. I didn't think I would be but I'm worried about how we are going to start this season. 

We lost two of the first four games last year. I think we'll start slow but nothing to worry about if we beat likes of Ipswich, Leicester and Everton who are all in our first six games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

There's no doubt some/much of it has been forced on us and losing Dougie has been a massive blow to the heart, but there's only one word to describe this preseason and that is chaotic.

Of course, it could all be different next week and I end up eating my words, but I honestly don't think we can expect much as things stand. It's a bit of a dog's dinner right now.

It reminds me a bit of Dean Smith's last pre season.

We had the endless Grealish saga that went on for ages, we didn't really seem to be taking the prep seriously just chilling at that London spa hotel and we also had all of Ings, Bailey and Buendia suddenly to integrate into a settled 11.

After a terrible opening day at Watford our next 6 games weren't too bad but then it all fell apart in October and cost Dean his job.

I think this is where Emery's experience comes through. He's used to juggling CL and league with all the clubs he's managed.

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

Bar the odd game in first half of last season we were generally a goal a game with Kamara starting. Without him it went up to two goals conceded a game and you're not competitive at top end of league doing that all season.

Problem is Barrenechea not being ready to start at prem level yet and not sure Onana will be a natural fit at base of the midfield.

39 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He never played for Everton as a 6, that's always been Gana.

I still expect us to have a season more like Newcastle's last season than looking upwards to the top 3 or 4.  Not much has changed my view during pre-season.  It's still going to be a fun ride in the Champions League, I just hope people aren't getting their hopes up too much with the league.

• Like 2

Think we will be around mid-table come Christmas before we hopefully start to gel. Just hope people have faith in the process and don't start demanding we revert back to Steve Bruce sitting deep without the ball and battening down the hatches.

Once we gel I think we will start moving up the table. How far is anyone's guess but I doubt it will be top 4 this season. And that's OK because it's a marathon not a sprint and the players signed this summer (apart from maybe Ross) have the next few seasons in mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I'm still optimistic that we'll get a good mid-table finish this season.

I thought the aim was to get in the CL places and stay there though and grow our revenue streams.

I expect we'll start slow, but I also expect we'll be in the mix come the end of the season. Expecting top 4 again is unreasonable, though we should aim for it. Being competitive in the champions league and finishing 7th would still be a good season for me for example. We ain't Man City. There are a lot of solid teams, below City, Arsenal and Liverpool we're in that group hoping to establish ourselves, but all of those sides could finish 4th one year 7th the next. And frankly that'as healthy for the league

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The only conversation about Villa and the PL title is in this particularly thread. Let it go, it’ll feel better.

I'm fine. Top 4 will be hard enough.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â