Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

Annoying lost points, would have been outright 2nd with a win, only behind 1st on goal difference.

I know we were a long way from our best against Ipswich but we just need to get back on the horse and spank Man U.

We have no problem scoring but defence continues to be an issue. 9 goals conceded in 6 games, mostly against bottom half teams, and no clean sheet since April. When he was at Arsenal and Villarreal I thought Unai was quite pragmatic and he usually had a good defence, so I’m a bit surprised why we’re so easy to score against. Can we keep a long awaited clean sheet against Man Yoo? Doubtful. 

Spurs seem to have improved defensively, only conceded 5 and had harder games than us so far. Same defence as last season too and with a dodgy keeper in Vicario.

i certainly think Martinez doesn’t look as sharp as previous seasons (at least 3 goals we’ve conceded you could put on him) and we are still playing Diego Carlos despite his deficiencies. Konsa and Pau are delightful footballers but struggle in duels and against physical strikers.

It’s the main reason we won’t be title contenders. You don’t win league titles conceding 60+ goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Mings and kamara are back very soon, this will be pivotal for us I think. Tighten up just a little bit and we are looking very good. 

They are back soon, but how long is it going to take for them to get up to standard? Them coming back isn't going to be a magic wand. 

12 minutes ago, RichW said:

They are back soon, but how long is it going to take for them to get up to standard? Them coming back isn't going to be a magic wand. 

I don't agree (but each to their own) these are two of our most important players returning. Granted it'll take a few games to get up to speed, but realistically we've got them back for the majority of this season bar any further injuries. Will make a big difference.

15 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

We are 2 points off of first. How are we not in it. 

Because we're only 6 games in.

We were level with 1st after one game.

Everyone is "in the race" by this logic at the start of the season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Mings and kamara are back very soon, this will be pivotal for us I think. Tighten up just a little bit and we are looking very good. 

It's a big ask to just throw Mings in after his lay off. I think he'll adopt the Lenglet role more, come on for last 5-10 minutes just to build his fitness and maybe see him start games in league cup if we progress.

Kamara will be straight back in after a sub cameo or too, he's that integral and we will start keeping some clean sheets again at least when he does return.

This time last year we had four CBs available and now we're just down to three and Carlos is in terrible form but he has to play every time we move Konsa to RB so straight away we're weaker in that position than 12 months ago and it cost us two points yesterday.

16 minutes ago, RichW said:

Im' also very very cautious with my expectations around Mings.

A 31 year old coming back from a second catastrophic knee injury.

I truly truly hope he's the Mings we know and love when he returns. but I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost a yard of pace and a lot of confidence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Because we're only 6 games in.

We were level with 1st after one game.

Everyone is "in the race" by this logic at the start of the season

Unai uses that same logic. You enter a competition to win it. He has been quoted saying that countless times. So by that standard a club managed by Unai Emrey off first by 2 points is definitely still in the race. Are we going to win it, who knows?  Crazier things have happened. 

8 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Unai uses that same logic. You enter a competition to win it. He has been quoted saying that countless times. So by that standard a club managed by Unai Emrey off first by 2 points is definitely still in the race. Are we going to win it, who knows?  Crazier things have happened. 

We have more points at this stage than Leicester did in 2015.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

I don't agree (but each to their own) these are two of our most important players returning. Granted it'll take a few games to get up to speed, but realistically we've got them back for the majority of this season bar any further injuries. Will make a big difference.

Hope I'm wrong but it's going to take more than a few games for them to get up to speed, especially Mings. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â