Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They've hardly had a tough match yet and haven't looked flash. I think we'll finish above so that's 1st-3rd for us

You can only beat what's in front of you 

Both had very good starts but no Europe gives them a massive advantage.

Just now, Pinebro said:

You can only beat what's in front of you 

Both had very good starts but no Europe gives them a massive advantage.

We had Europe last season. Lost to them twice and still finished well ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We had Europe last season. Lost to them twice and still finished well ahead. 

UCL will be more both physical and mentally draining 

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

For reasons already stated I really disagree with this 

There will be nonsense in the pre match and match thread like "if we want to get out of the group we have to win this game" and "our defence isn't good enough for the quality of the CL" as we line up to play young boys but thats VT 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It is often argued championship is more physical than PL. By that standard, the Conference where you meet "brutes" should be more physical than free flowing football of elite teams in CL.

I don't know if it's mentally more draining. How can you even quantify that?

Either way, both points are are neither here or there. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

This may be true but we need to finish in the top 24 of 36 teams.  I think we can manage that without it derailing the Premier League season.

Emery will have plans to manage both and his selections won't go down well with a lot of fans at times. But I reckon we'll be alright.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

Positive we'll rotate tomorrow night. That's the entire point of finally having a squad with some depth.

We'll need to go strong against Bayern, Juve etc, so these games are the ones we'll see changes.

We've got no chance of maintaining league form if we don't. If we want to maintain a good league season it's a necessity

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This may be true but we need to finish in the top 24 of 36 teams.  I think we can manage that without it derailing the Premier League season.

Obviously there's no benchmark for it so it's hard to tell but conceivbly we could lose the 4 games and still go through 

By round 5 or 6 teams are going to start qualifying too so there could be heavy rotation and unpredictable results in the last couple of games

The pressure will come from fans, nowhere else, agree it shouldn't derail the PL - again, Newcastle playing those 3 teams I can see why it would but this new format isn't that anymore 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

It is often argued championship is more physical than PL. By that standard, the Conference where you meet "brutes" should be more physical than free flowing football of elite teams in CL.

I don't know if it's mentally more draining. How can you even quantify that?

Either way, both points are are neither here or there. 

I think one of the things Newcastle struggled with last year was balancing the euphoria of the CL. I remember seeing a Dan Burn interview after he'd scored against PSG and its like he had won the world cup (not a criticism) and then a few days later they had to play Fulham or someone. 

I remember thinking how tough it must be to deal with the emotion of that and just get ready for the next match day, im sure some of our younger players may struggle with this.

I do hope though that this is where Unai and his experience really counts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

more so the ECL last year?

I'm not saying we will breeze through the group stage without a care but I am saying that with this new group format we can rotate, we can play at less than 110% and it shouldn't be as mentally draining as the CL was in previous years 

Bayern and Juve is a major step up from Alkmaar and Mostar. We got through those games with mix and match 11s.

This is also our schedule from late November onwards:

Wed 27th Nov: Home to Juventus

Sun 1st Dec: away to Chelsea

Wed 4th Dec: Home to Brentford

Sat 7th Dec: Home to Southampton

Tues 10th Dec: Away to Leipzig

Sat 14th Dec: Away to Forest

Then have possibly a free week before playing Man. City at home and then it's the xmas/new year schedule.

Newcastle really started to drop off in that period last year so we need to hope we don't have too many injuries in that period. Mings and Kamara available to play would be a great boost at that point.

25 minutes ago, jigen said:

Manchester Utd play bad but they have too good players to not finish in CL. 

I see Man City, Arsenal and Man Utd in CL. Then, the race is open. For me: Liverpool and Chelsea. 

United haven't got a single player that starts for Villa except maybe whoever their RB is

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They've hardly had a tough match yet and haven't looked flash. I think we'll finish above so that's 1st-3rd for us

Spurs at home isn't a tough match? Bournemouth and Wolves also are tricky aways. Didn't play well and were losing both so four points is a very good return, I'd take that when we play both (we got two draws from those venues last year of course).

I think Newcastle are a real threat as they're a well drilled and hard to beat team with real quality in Guimaraes and Isak.

Last season they had a really good winter and still got to 60 points so playing mostly once a week they could be in 65-70 point range.

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bayern and Juve is a major step up from Alkmaar and Mostar. We got through those games with mix and match 11s.

This is also our schedule from late November onwards:

Wed 27th Nov: Home to Juventus

Sun 1st Dec: away to Chelsea

Wed 4th Dec: Home to Brentford

Sat 7th Dec: Home to Southampton

Tues 10th Dec: Away to Leipzig

Sat 14th Dec: Away to Forest

Then have possibly a free week before playing Man. City at home and then it's the xmas/new year schedule.

Newcastle really started to drop off in that period last year so we need to hope we don't have too many injuries in that period. Mings and Kamara available to play would be a great boost at that point.

but that's what I said earlier, at that stage last year Newcastle were in CL must win territory due to the Dortmund results, that swing game in the middle of the old group format killed them

we don't have that, if we're on 6 or 7 points by the time we reach Juve we can rotate more or even play a weakened team in the expectation that we might only need 3 or 4 more points from Monaco and Celtic, you can kick your "must win" games further down the road 

the whole dynamic of the group stage has changed meaning IMO the PL form shouldn't suffer as much as it did for Newcastle 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but that's what I said earlier, at that stage last year Newcastle were in CL must win territory due to the Dortmund results, that swing game in the middle of the old group format killed them

we don't have that, if we're on 6 or 7 points by the time we reach Juve we can rotate more or even play a weakened team in the expectation that we might only need 3 or 4 more points from Monaco and Celtic, you can kick your "must win" games further down the road 

the whole dynamic of the group stage has changed meaning IMO the PL form shouldn't suffer as much as it did for Newcastle 

We'll have to see. Last December we'd already qualified so that final game in Bosnia we just sent a scratch 11 and rested our big players for Brentford away three days later.

I'm not sure Emery is of the mentality to just leave everything until the final matchdays, he'll want significant points on the board by matchday six so that might have a knock on impact for the following prem game 3-4 days later.

I think this week will be interesting for team selection. Do we make the changes for Young Boys or Wolves as given the impact Maatsen and Duran made off the bench they need to be starting sooner or later, Barkley aswell will probably get a start soon.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â