Race for The Premier League - 2024/25

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

When you have a squad of 30+ players that costed billions to assemble, injuries have less of an impact. What improved Chelsea was that they found a style of play that fitted the players they had in the second half of the season.

Most teams have a limited quality in their squad, meaning that performance drop when fatigue/ burnout/ injuries impact key players. Teams that have more quantity of quality in their squad can do more player rotation, providing them with rested players in the second half of the season. This is one of the reasons ManC is performing better in the second half compared to first half. The team they play is weaker second half of the season, while they themself is equally strong in both half’s.

Next season we could get a boost in the second half of the season if Kamara comes back fully fit.

Spot on. It’s why the so called big 6 more often than not finish strong. They can afford to have large squads full of quality. What Villa achieved this season is amazing. Fans can enjoy next season but I hope they don’t start to get too entitled with the expectations. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

Champions league qualification and a trophy next year has to be the aim. If we get champions league two years running it would give us an extremely strong base to build a team that could challenge for the next 5 to 10 years under Emery. 

No, our only aim the next few years should be Champions League qualification. I know it’s not very glamorous with 3rd or 4th place finishes in the premier league, but football is now all about money. To improve our squad and keep Emery, we need the prize money and sponsorship that comes with being a top 4 premier league side and playing in CL each year.

Sadly winning either the FA cup or the league cup generates next to nothing when it comes to income. Yes, I would absolutely love it, if we won something, but if it comes at the expense of failing to qualify for CL, it would be costly for the club.

• Like 4

The head says you are right but the heart disagrees completely. I think the fan base will be very split on this as a very large percentage will just want a trophy regardless of league placing. 

CL finishes and winning trophies are correlated. Most of the teams that have won the league cup or FA cup have been established sides in Europe in recent years. 

Sure there have been exceptions (Leicester, Wigan) but those exceptions show the dangers of prioritising cups- where are those clubs now? 

• Like 1

You don’t have to be brilliant to win a cup. Man Utd had their worst season yet won a cup. 
Without two leg semi final, and with a hood squad, we shall be able to win 1/2 games with squad players, then if we’re in the ladt 8 we can go for it. 

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

You don’t have to be brilliant to win a cup. Man Utd had their worst season yet won a cup. 
Without two leg semi final, and with a hood squad, we shall be able to win 1/2 games with squad players, then if we’re in the ladt 8 we can go for it. 

Its not the same as a normal cup though. 8 group games followed by maybe 2 playoff games and that's just to get to the last 16. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

The Media, Bookies, The Big 6 cartel fans, They're all underestimating us again. 
We''re the underdogs. 

Good. Let them.

• Like 2

Howe going to England and Newcastle getting someone like Tuchel in would be a real gamechanger so let's hope that doesn't happen for a few years.

Spurs are the interesting one so far, I expected them to make more signings than just Archie Gray. Not even sure who they're being linked with?

They need far more upfront and likes of Son and Maddison weren't doing too much in the run in. Bit optimistic if they think they'll get less injuries than last year playing Thurs-Sun so there squad will be at breaking point mid season.

Was worried about Chelsea and the way they finished last season but Maresca was an odd appointment.

Same as last season for me, let's get to 60 points with still 4-5 games left and see where we are in the European shake up as that should mean top 6 at least.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

The Media, Bookies, The Big 6 cartel fans, They're all underestimating us again. 
We''re the underdogs. 

I saw some odds for us to be first excluding… “the big 7”… I don’t even know what that is, it’s always been the top 6. 

4 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Why are they doubting us and Emery?

Bookies set the odds based on what people put their money on. The top 7 have fans that are willing to bet their money on their team, more than there are Villa fans that are willing to do the same.

If every Villa fan go out and put their house/life savings on Villa ending up in top 4 this season, the odds for Villa being top 4 will drop.

In other words it’s Villa fans that are doubting Emery. (Or maybe Villa fans are more sensible and don’t gamble.)

• Like 1

Just woke up from a dream where we won the league fwiw 

I'll save my predictions until next month, but I see no reason why we can't build on our 4th place finish last season.

• Like 1

From what I can gather the general media Reception others is that we will do a Newcastle I heard yesterday that we have been significantly weakened  due to PSR etc  that Onana is a direct replacement for Luiz and nowhere near as good and also to expect one of Watkins or Martin has to be sold this window

I think  I’m usually level headed when it comes to Villa. I honestly think though that over the next 2/3 years we are seriously going to be challenging for the title. Not saying we are going to win it, but our name will be in the hat. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â