Pics from where you live

MikeMcKenna

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

Technically down the road a bit now, but the much heard of 'I used to run a pub' pub was in Rhayader. Fun times.

Which one? Given that there really aren’t many, it’s highly likely I’ve been in :D 

3 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

4bFHU91.jpeg

Fun fact!! That building on the left just after the steps was Bob Crachit’s house in A Christmas Carol (1984).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

Fun fact!! That building on the left just after the steps was Bob Crachit’s house in A Christmas Carol (1984).

Yup and a couple of minutes walk away you can still see the Ebenezer Scrooge gravestone at St Chad's.

utc2bw5.jpeg

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Any moment now, they'll drag a headless corpse from the water, and a dysfunctional male/female detective duo will arrive on the scene. 

One thing I have learned from watching so much British crime drama is that the headless corpse will be found by a dog that breaks away from its owner while on a walk 🤣

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

One thing I have learned from watching so much British crime drama is that the headless corpse will be found by a dog that breaks away from its owner while on a walk 🤣

I rarely watch the British ones, I'm addicted to Scandi-noir (although they do tend to become a bit formulaic - hence my comment). 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Which one? Given that there really aren’t many, it’s highly likely I’ve been in :D 

th?id=OIP.Lg1ovhPDGdi0pTGtb38B9AHaD3%26p

20+ years ago now, luckily before the age of onine feedback :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I rarely watch the British ones, I'm addicted to Scandi-noir (although they do tend to become a bit formulaic - hence my comment). 

Have only watched a few but we like them a lot as well 

25 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

th?id=OIP.Lg1ovhPDGdi0pTGtb38B9AHaD3%26p

20+ years ago now, luckily before the age of onine feedback :D

More than once, on the blind crossroads on the road to Llanidloes.

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

More than once, on the blind crossroads on the road to Llanidloes.

damn you, all these years of not doxxing myself (shakes fist) :D

but yeah, close enough to spend many an hour indulging in the local sport of watching the truck drivers beach their arctics on the clocktower, handily placed in the middle of said blind crossroads :D

1924072_7da77eec.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=87cc

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yup and a couple of minutes walk away you can still see the Ebenezer Scrooge gravestone at St Chad's.

utc2bw5.jpeg

Charles Dickens was a frequent visitor to Brum and was very fond of the city. I wonder if got the name for his character in The Christmas Carol from this gravestone. In 1869 Dickens supposedly said:

Well, ladies and gentlemen, my heart has all been in my subject, and I bear an old love towards Birmingham and Birmingham men. I have said that I bear an old love towards Birmingham and Birmingham men; let me amend a small omission, and add “and Birmingham women.” This ring I wear on my finger now is an old Birmingham gift, and if by rubbing it I could raise the spirit that was obedient to Aladdin’s ring, I heartily assure you that my first instruction to that genius on the spot should be to place himself at Birmingham’s disposal in the best of causes.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Charles Dickens was a frequent visitor to Brum and was very fond of the city. I wonder if got the name for his character in The Christmas Carol from this gravestone. In 1869 Dickens supposedly said:

Well, ladies and gentlemen, my heart has all been in my subject, and I bear an old love towards Birmingham and Birmingham men. I have said that I bear an old love towards Birmingham and Birmingham men; let me amend a small omission, and add “and Birmingham women.” This ring I wear on my finger now is an old Birmingham gift, and if by rubbing it I could raise the spirit that was obedient to Aladdin’s ring, I heartily assure you that my first instruction to that genius on the spot should be to place himself at Birmingham’s disposal in the best of causes.”

Unless my childhood memory is incorrect, that is Shrewsbury. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Unless my childhood memory is incorrect, that is Shrewsbury. 

Ok thanks I now understand. My bad I got the wrong end of the stick, I thought it was St Chads, Birmingham. A classic case of 2+2 = 5 🙂 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

3 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

What is Shrewsbury?

The grave is in Shrewsbury and is actually a prop from the movie that is still there 40 years later. Was actually a real stone that had pretty much completely weathered away and the film company somehow got permission to engrave Ebenezer Scrooge over the top of it as seemingly nobody knew whose grave it actually was.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

The grave is in Shrewsbury and is actually a prop from the movie that is still there 40 years later. Was actually a real stone that had pretty much completely weathered away and the film company somehow got permission to engrave Ebenezer Scrooge over the top of it as seemingly nobody knew whose grave it actually was.

Haha. There would be outrage today. Online petitions galore. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â