Best Sitcom of All Time

Rds1983

On 12/05/2024 at 19:51, Mark Albrighton said:

BBC four are showing back to back episodes of Hancock’s Half Hour to mark the hundredth anniversary of his birth.

Not quite sure what to make of him in truth. I don’t know if he’s one of those cases where a relatively early death coupled with the tragic depressed persona of his final years significantly helped his status.

I read about the famous Blood Doner episode and him reading his lines off an autocue,  I don’t know if it’s simply his style but he seemed to do it a lot of other episodes too. Maybe it’s because it feels like he’s performing to the audience rather than acting with the cast, if that makes sense.

I think its become very dated but at the time thr viewing figures were massive. Hancock half hour was extremely popular in its time. Of course it started as a radio show like the goons. 

US Office and Only Fools and Horses are the two that I can watch again and again. Red Dwarf and Blackadder are up there too. 

• 3 months later...
On 04/05/2024 at 13:11, theboyangel said:

I don’t think it’s been mentioned so far but the first couple of series of Catastrophe were brilliant. 

Currently watching The IT Crowd with my 14yr old daughter (her first time of watching it). It is still phenomenal (but a shame how Graham Linehan turned out…) 

Hilariously pathetic how one of his few remaining friends has described this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I still not entirely clear what Graham Linehan did that was so career endingly bad.

I think he went a bit JK Rowling didn't he?  Seems to have done him worse than it has her though!

21 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

I still not entirely clear what Graham Linehan did that was so career endingly bad.

He became one of the most terminally online bigots out there (nearly a 1/4 milliom posts on twitter) just because someone pointed out that an episode of the IT crowd wasn't in good taste (Douglas Reynholm fighting his Trans girlfriend when he finds out).

Soon lost all wife family and friends while he obsessed over trans people. Now fully aligned with all fascist causes despite being a centre left liberal in the not too distant past.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He became one of the most terminally online bigots out there (nearly a 1/4 milliom posts on twitter) just because someone pointed out that an episode of the IT crowd wasn't in good taste (Douglas Reynholm fighting his Trans girlfriend when he finds out).

Soon lost all wife family and friends while he obsessed over trans people. Now fully aligned with all fascist causes despite being a centre left liberal in the not too distant past.

spacer.png

All sounds a bit twittery outrage...

Edited by jimmygreaves

I don’t think setting up a mock profile on an LGBTQ dating app of oneself pretending to be a trans woman is quite the brilliant comment on the trans discussion Linehan thinks it is.

Anyway, sitcom chat.

I rewatched a lot of Red Dwarf recently. I enjoyed it, but dear Lord is the 8th series bad. At the time I remember thinking it wasn’t as good as it had been, but still of comparable quality. In retrospect that is very much not the case.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think setting up a mock profile on an LGBTQ dating app of oneself pretending to be a trans woman is quite the brilliant comment on the trans discussion Linehan thinks it is.

Anyway, sitcom chat.

I rewatched a lot of Red Dwarf recently. I enjoyed it, but dear Lord is the 8th series bad. At the time I remember thinking it wasn’t as good as it had been, but still of comparable quality. In retrospect that is very much not the case.

Red Dwarf was my favourite growing up, and these days I tend to just pretend Series 6 was the final series. Similar with Futurama, the writing for the first 4 series is soooooo good. I kind of pretend everything afterward doesn't exist. I saw a recent episode recently with my son and it was rubbish. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â