USA Tour: Club América - August 3 22:30

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Pre-Season friendly.

I've always gone by the notion that a poor pre-season ends up being a good season. A Good preseason results in a poor or underwhelming season. Keep the faith. Up the Villa.

Agree, some stinking pre-seasons have preceeded good seasons and good pre-seasons bad season. 

I don't think most people are worried about the results (I'm certainly not) but more about the actual performances that still look VERY sloppy with many of the basics missing. By now performances should be there if not results. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

No-one gives two shits about pre-season about an hour after the final game. I wouldn't care if we lost every game 10-0. There's some real drama queens on here.

The amount of Premier League flops who ripped it up in the pre-season tells you all you need to know. It means less than nothing. They're money spinning glorified fitness sessions.

• Like 2

Archer has probably played himself out of any contention for the team, Philogene needs to do more, Nedelokovic looks like he believes he is good enough (the two mentioned above less so).  

I would have liked to have seen more of Swinkels and Bogarde, both had promising tours.  Seeing Beundia back is a positive.

Apart from that, best I can say is we have looked laboured with and without the ball.  Hopefully that gets ironed out before Wet Spam

Last year we only won one of our American games, and that was after a draw with Walsall. We had a stronger team available too as there was no international tournament. Let's see how we look in the final two preseason games.

We may be a work in progress in general as we have brought in a lot of youngsters. Even Onana and Maatsen are not the finished article.

That was the best I've seen of Gauci last night. Kosta will be a player. Bogarde has done well in pre season and leapfrogged Feeney in the pecking order. Dendoncker is not a CB, nor Digne. Barkley needs time to get settled in our style. Tielemans tries more forward passes than Doug. Great to have Ramsey and Buendia back. Archer didn't do the basics well enough. Thought Dobbin was ok.

Edited by I Make Pies
  • Like 1

Happy to ignore results:

Defence has been poor, but that’s to be expected. But we’ve defended poorly as a team too.

Some patchy evidence of midfield control but looks like a backwards step from last season. You would expect the unfamiliar players to step into the team and the overall structure/pattern to support unfamiliarity of personnel.

Attack has been dreadful, no patterns of play, no encouraging movement or partnerships, little on the way of shooting. I don’t know how we are going to score goals at the moment. 

Hopefully this all changes when Watkins, Konsa and Martinez return next week, and Unai has learned what doesn’t work or needs working on.

Onana and Maatsen look decent though and  improve the 1st team. Money well spent there 👍🏻

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Can’t understand why it always takes the club so long to upload the replays.

Could be cause that the games are taking place at 1am, assuming our media staff are uk based. 

Not worried much.

Our high line has been torn to pieces this preseason but the young lads are nowhere near as quick as Emi off his line. Although I do wonder all the time why we don't have a backup keeper capable of this so our style does not suffer.

Our build up from the back has been ok but again Emi makes a huge difference. 

Midfield looks a bit sloppy but again is pre season. 

Emery doesn't care about results here, it's training to the style. I'd say the only pre season games that matter if anything are the last two where we start to really prepare for the first game of the season. Again if we lose them it's not going to define our season. 

Pre season tells/shows a fan nothing in comparison to a real game.

All concerns are evident regardless of if we lost three or won them all.

They are:-

Martinez is incredibly difficult to deputise and we don't have a keeper close to him. Both in build up and running a high line. 

We don't have depth in defence, Pau is crucial to buildup but Konsa is our only dependable defender available.

Our fullback positions are vulnerable in regards to positioning, teams will exploit this.

We don't have a capable deputy for Watkins, Archer isn't close. Duran is capable of the sublime but mostly ineffective. 

However we still have a bloody excellent squad which will improve before the window closes, and every team has issues/weaknesses that have to be accepted. Even Man City. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

No-one gives two shits about pre-season about an hour after the final game. I wouldn't care if we lost every game 10-0. There's some real drama queens on here.

The amount of Premier League flops who ripped it up in the pre-season tells you all you need to know. It means less than nothing. They're money spinning glorified fitness sessions.

I think if we "lost every game 10 - 0" then there would be some genuine cause for concern, regardless of it being pre - season. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

It’s about avoiding injuries, building fitness and getting new lads settled whilst getting the lads who joined later last season to get a pre-season with Unai. I don’t really read too much into these results. I will say that clubs like United lost 5 players to different injuries over pre-season and I’m glad we did not. Unai will know what is needed in preparation for West Ham - we still have Ollie, Ezri and Dibu to come back. Having the likes of Emi2 back is a huge plus also. I’ve been greatly impressed by Kosta too. 

11 hours ago, useless said:

I spy the positives 🌟

Bogarde was excellent, in these situations youngsters can sometimes either try too hard to impress, or the opposite and play it too simple, but he got the balance just right

Nedeljković looks superb, I don't get carried away with not great performanes in pre-season, so maybe should apply the same logic to the good performances, but he looks promising

Buendia and Ramsey both looking good after coming back from injury

Philogene although didn't get much of a chance to do what he's known for, I think in general play was good, you can see he's improved during last season

I'm well impressed with Onana

The thing that was letting us down, giving the ball away, isn't a major concern, just a pre-season thing, easily fixable, the players haven't suddenly turned into bad passers

We're missing Watkins or even Duran leading the line, once we get that type of striker back watch how our play in the final third improves

is it the passing or is it, the lack of intelligent, and consistent movement off the ball, to give the passer, options, and outlet balls?

It seems to me too often players want balls to feet, and then get closed down, and quite often lose it......the alternative is play balls in to space, and runners off the ball, read the play.

At times our play is predictable, and interplay is "telegraphed".....this then leads to us losing possession.

On the subject of the highline.....It is evident, that front runners, do have a field day, breaching our backline.This has reared its ugly head too many times, and in too many times last season, in competitive games....My observations are not confined, to just losing the foot race, it strikes me, that the kicker, is left free, to plant an over the top ball, with impunity, it then becomes a lottery.

I don't see, enough of our players, committed, to closing down "the Kickers" this was particularly highlighted last season against Liverpool, with Trent and Man utd.

There are 2 parts to this defending of the highline, and as I see it, we don't get one of them right.

Many will cling to the notion that we will be alright, when we get the full team back....that could be right.....but that does not excuse, the same problem, last season.

Conceding, sloppy, Rookie type, goals, can easily unhinge any good work, we are attempting to perfect.

I understand the benefits of the highline.....I am still uncertain, under our style, whether the benefits, trump, the costs.

I still trust Unai, to get it right....but we cannot, continue, conceding such, benevolent goals.

Edited by TRO

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

is it the passing or is it, the lack of intelligent, and consistent movement off the ball, to give the passer, options, and outlet balls?

It seems to me too often players want balls to feet, and then get closed down, and quite often lose it......the alternative is play balls in to space, and runners off the ball, read the play.

At times our play is predictable, and interplay is "telegraphed".....this then leads to us losing possession.

On the subject of the highline.....It is evident, that front runners, do have a field day, breaching our backline.This has reared its ugly head too many times, and in too many times last season, in competitive games....My observations are not confined, to just losing the foot race, it strikes me, that the kicker, is left free, to plant an over the top ball, with impunity, it then becomes a lottery.

I don't see, enough of our players, committed, to closing down "the Kickers" this was particularly highlighted last season against Liverpool, with Trent and Man utd.

There are 2 parts to this defending of the highline, and as I see it, we don't get one of them right.

Many will cling to the notion that we will be alright, when we get the full team back....that could be right.....but that does not excuse, the same problem, last season.

Conceding, sloppy, Rookie type, goals, can easily unhinge any good work, we are attempting to perfect.

I understand the benefits of the highline.....I am still uncertain, under our style, whether the benefits, trump, the costs.

I still trust Unai, to get it right....but we cannot, continue, conceding such, benevolent goals.

You're certainly back! The things you miss in the off - season. 😉

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s about avoiding injuries, building fitness and getting new lads settled whilst getting the lads who joined later last season to get a pre-season with Unai. I don’t really read too much into these results. I will say that clubs like United lost 5 players to different injuries over pre-season and I’m glad we did not. Unai will know what is needed in preparation for West Ham - we still have Ollie, Ezri and Dibu to come back. Having the likes of Emi2 back is a huge plus also. I’ve been greatly impressed by Kosta too. 

Kosta, a prime example of the importance of self - confidence and determination. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Is there a full replay on VillaTV? I can't seem to find anything other than highlights...

Nevermind. It showed up.

These commentators though - constantly calling Philogene "Bidace" and sighing every time Archer takes a bad touch. Irritating. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You're certainly back! The things you miss in the off - season. 😉

well, if we put it right when the season starts for real, I will be the first to acknowledge it.

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Kosta, a prime example of the importance of self - confidence and determination. 

first impressions are really good for me.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

Last year we only won one of our American games, and that was after a draw with Walsall. We had a stronger team available too as there was no international tournament. Let's see how we look in the final two preseason games.

We may be a work in progress in general as we have brought in a lot of youngsters. Even Onana and Maatsen are not the finished article.

That was the best I've seen of Gauci last night. Kosta will be a player. Bogarde has done well in pre season and leapfrogged Feeney in the pecking order. Dendoncker is not a CB, nor Digne. Barkley needs time to get settled in our style. Tielemans tries more forward passes than Doug. Great to have Ramsey and Buendia back. Archer didn't do the basics well enough. Thought Dobbin was ok.

I like the look of these boys too.....and they will have up and down games, considering their age.....but they have real promise.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â