USA Tour: Club América - August 3 22:30

Fell asleep, so will watch tonight's game through later, but the one obvious thing about this preseason is that we are processing so much change, it was almost inevitable we wouldn't gel immediately.

In truth, we aren't anywhere near doing so, certainly as an attacking force, although we are tightening up as a unit somewhat.

Biggest shame is that we haven't had all our best players available from the start and they won't have been properly reintegrated before we kick off vs W.Ham.

Things will improve when we have a full compliment, but there are still gaps to fill and therefore more change to come, so it could well be a rocky start to the campaign.

It was pretty poor again but I'm not concerned. We're still missing key players, and dare I say 1-2 new arrivals. The 2nd half especially I'm not sure what you can read into when we have a left back and a midfielder in central defence. As soon as we get our strongest team on the pitch for 60+ mins we will see something very different I'm sure.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

That aside, haven’t seen anything to suggest we are in for a decent season or able to pick up where we left off

Well, we left off by losing 5-0 away and losing 3 of our last 4 games of the season in all comps so…

• Like 1

The team we put out last night was probably 8 of the starting 11 that will start the first game so it doesn't bode well that we lost to a team from a farmer's league.

The friendly results tell me exactly what I already knew: that we haven't strengthened enough, either in defence or attack. We aren't scoring enough goals and are conceding far too many as well:(7 goals conceded and only 1 scored in 3 games to pretty mediocre opposition other than Leipzig who were also missing some of their stars like Simons).

Of course pre season friendlies mean very little - we did well in them under Gerrard then were shite when the real games came around. But last summer we looked good in the friendlies overall, our attack certainly looked better and that was playing against PL level opposition. We then went on to have a very good season.

So I am kinda worried ahead of the new season. We have Bilbao ad Dortmund in our final two games, we need some positive results in those to show we can compete against better teams before he season gets underway. Ideally we will have a new signing or 2 by then and Martinez, Watkins and Konsa back. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hugely underwhelming tour overall and performance again tonight.

Based on what we’ve seen in this tour, Archer is miles off what’s required to deputise for Ollie, Philogene has looked less than average, Illing-Junior the same (though he didn’t feature tonight), Barrenchea looked pretty good before tonight, Barkley cannot replace Luiz and has been largely anonymous, Buendia is rusty, understandably, Kosta has looked better than Cash but his positioning leaves a lot to be desired.

I mean shit, if we’re honest one of the better players this week has been Dendoncker, take from that what you will.

Usual caveat this time of year of course in that it’s pre season and all about fitness etc etc 

Bombing into the new season on a cloud of optimism then ? How very Villa talk

• Haha 1

Another goal less game. Doesnt suprise me ive been saying that im concerned that we have not addressed the creatuvity aspect of the ones who have left.

Ok ollies missing but what happens if he gets injured then what? Yeah its friendlies but we cant exactly say this tours been a success

6 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I mean shit, if we’re honest one of the better players this week has been Dendoncker, take from that what you will.

The biggest conclusion we can draw from that is drawing any conclusions from pre season games is meaningless

• Like 1

Seems like we played pretty well mainly in the first half. Hopefully another step improvement when Konsa Watkins and Martinez are back. 

This lack of a proper CB partnership and GK means our build up is just players learning. 

• Like 2

Pre-season I find is all about getting fitness and getting players used to the playing structure especially the new ones. Of course would like to win but that is secondary. Trust Emery will have our team ready for the new season!

• Like 1

The pre-season tour, including this match, just re-highlights we need more strength in depth at both centre back and up front.

At centre back we can't rely on Carlos and we don't know what version of Mings will return.

In attack we have Watkins and no-one else we can really rely on so that needs to be fixed.

1 hour ago, smg said:

Those pesky optimists..

• Haha 1

Uninspiring Tour but I don't think it was about results, it was about the Villa brand being flirted to the US public. 

We've looked like we've played at about 20% of the intensity you'd see in the Prem. Was that to avoid injuries, like we've seen happen in the past, to do with the heat or having a large number of players new to our system and how we play. None of us will know. 

What I do know is Emery will see what needs work, will know what else he needs in this side and have us ready for the opening of the season, when results get you points. 

49 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Seems like we played pretty well mainly in the first half. Hopefully another step improvement when Konsa Watkins and Martinez are back. 

This lack of a proper CB partnership and GK means our build up is just players learning. 

Build up wasn't the problem in the first half though. We got the ball up the pitch quite well I thought. The problems were all in the final third.

I'm still optimistic about the season ahead.

2 hours ago, smg said:

I think part of the reason is last season we were coming into the PL with a lot of optimism. We’d had a fantastic finish to the previous season, had a crazy good home run and added Pau, Diaby and Tielemans in the summer. We were hitting the ground running. 

This time feels much more of a rebuild. 1st 11 is arguably weaker after losing Dougie although hopefully we are stronger overall. Add to that the demands of CL and I understand the concern. 

We need to sign an exceptional centre back, and maybe the world's best goalkeeper, oh and maybe one of the best strikers in the Premier league.

We're a little bit messy at the moment, hopefully a great deal of that is down to not having Ollie playing and not having brought in Duran's replacement yet - having an effective CF who can both threaten behind defences and come short and hold/link play will make a huge difference - we're also short at the back, although we have seen some promise from youngsters there.

With the big three back, the first team should be fine, we miss Doug's ability to knit things together and turn us from playing around at the back to moving forward, and that'll show while the very good players we have in midfield figure out the ways they'll do it without him, but they're very capable of getting that right. Our opening day eleven should be fine, but we're two or three short of a squad that can be effective at the moment I think, and games like this, tours like this, have shown us the vulnerability we have if we lose key players for any length of time.

• Like 1

Individually for me, the positives were another good performance from Nedeljkovic. a load of industry and endeavour from a sharp looking Buendia and some moments of promise from Maatsen bursting forward at pace with the ball.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â