USA Tour: Club América - August 3 22:30

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Looks like the same old Barkley like I predicted 

Please predict something better, dammit. 😉

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Oh well, at least the amount we lost by has got progressively less each game of the tour 🙄

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Very, very sadly, after 65 years I think this season will be the end for me.

image.jpeg.fc288e4293349e6a757682e78ee181e6.jpeg

Edited by 479Villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hugely underwhelming tour overall and performance again tonight.

Based on what we’ve seen in this tour, Archer is miles off what’s required to deputise for Ollie, Philogene has looked less than average, Illing-Junior the same (though he didn’t feature tonight), Barrenchea looked pretty good before tonight, Barkley cannot replace Luiz and has been largely anonymous, Buendia is rusty, understandably, Kosta has looked better than Cash but his positioning leaves a lot to be desired.

I mean shit, if we’re honest one of the better players this week has been Dendoncker, take from that what you will.

Usual caveat this time of year of course in that it’s pre season and all about fitness etc etc 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

yeah but its pre-season brother, we didnt try our hardested and played with random players and stuff.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. It's not like Chelsea are midway through their season, tried their hardest and played with strongest 11. If anything, with new manager they should be much more disjointed at this stage then we are.

Just now, Czarnikjak said:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. It's not like Chelsea are midway through their season, tried their hardest and played with strongest 11. If anything, with new manager they should be much more disjointed at this stage then we are.

The transitive property, but applied to pre-season games. Sure, why not.

I'm disappointed we didn't win or score, also, sure. But some of this gloom and doom shit is just laughable.

"It's just like when Gerrard was manager...." Oh, okay, good talk, good times. A brilliant analogy for those whose mother drank during their pregnancy, but not really serious.

If I'm wrong, so be it. I guess we'll fire Unai and Monchi and move on to whatever is next. But I also watched this team in the Championship and languish for a bit. So some moron saying after 65 years, going into Champions League, that they're done? **** L-O-L. Call a counselor on Monday morning, mate, you have way bigger problems than Aston Villa Football Club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Also, if the ultimate aim of playing out there is to increase the fan base I can’t imagine we’ve done much to capture the imagination 

I think sometimes that aspect is overemphasized but in this case I agree, if you're a casual or new fan all youre told by more seasoned fans is the superiority of premier league football then you see Villa get their pants pulled down by the "inferior" competition, certainly doesn't make us an appealing product.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am really not very good at assessing pre season games….so I am not going to try.

Results are an absolute irrelevance. 

But some sense of a quality team coming together and testing the opposition, maybe getting a few goals is definitely a nice to have. 

Showing some form 5 games in would be ideal. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ooooff. 

Emery is obviously world's apart from Gerrard. 

BUT 

Remember the arguments on these pages about that Australian tour where we looked absolutely awful (yet ironically did actually get results) but there were big arguments on here about people saying how terrible we looked and others saying people were wetting the bed and it was only pre season. 

Well we definitely took that awful "form" into the season proper. 

So by all means be a better fan and take anyone to task who dares question pre season form, but we do need to see something improving in performances if not results. 

Dean Smith’s last pre season was a shower of shit too, similarly after the Euros and didn’t have a proper squad together until a week before the season started (think it was combination of internationals and injuries and covid).

Still a couple of games left, hopefully we can play a full strength side in the next one and we’ll look better. It’s time to stop messing around with the kids and fringe players and just prioritise getting the proper players ready, I’m assuming the remaining international players will be back for Wednesday.

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I think sometimes that aspect is overemphasized but in this case I agree, if you're a casual or new fan all youre told by more seasoned fans is the superiority of premier league football then you see Villa get their pants pulled down by the "inferior" competition, certainly doesn't make us an appealing product.

Clubs don't gain American fans because they beat another team in preseason. That has literally nothing to do with it.

Arsenal and United are about to kick off in Columbia, South Carolina, a town I wouldn't cross the street to piss on were it on fire. Do you think any American is there going "THIS MEANS EVERYTHING FOR WHOSE JERSEY I SHALL PURCHASE TONIGHT?" It is all about exposure in the market. For that, a win would've been nice, sure, but the name is out there. And what we do in the League matters far more.

People don't buy United kits here because they jerk off to the color red or Alex Ferguson's gin blossom of a nose.

2 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

Clubs don't gain American fans because they beat another team in preseason. That has literally nothing to do with it.

Arsenal and United are about to kick off in Columbia, South Carolina, a town I wouldn't cross the street to piss on were it on fire. Do you think any American is there going "THIS MEANS EVERYTHING FOR WHOSE JERSEY I SHALL PURCHASE TONIGHT?" It is all about exposure in the market. For that, a win would've been nice, sure, but the name is out there. And what we do in the League matters far more.

People don't buy United kits here because they jerk off to the color red or Alex Ferguson's gin blossom of a nose.

Relax chief, I’m an American too. Been one for 40+ years. If you have no exposure to premier league football, but are interested in finding a team to support and you see villa on this tour you are unlikely to choose them as “your team” based on performances like these.  That choice is often just as, if not more arbitrary, than a one-off exposure: Not sure what you’re on about with the Ferguson and jerking off stuff, maybe switch to water.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

i was being sarcastic.

Babylon by bus!

Very surreal seeing the badge and the kit launch video playing in Times Square, and now these images of the Aston Villa team bus breezing through Manhattan. 

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, 479Villan said:

Dude from Arkansas talking smack about South Cackilacky 🤯🤣

• Like 1

I’m usually pragmatic and patient, so hopefully it’s been useful as a fitness exercise. 

That aside, haven’t seen anything to suggest we are in for a decent season or able to pick up where we left off. Quite the opposite, even with Martinez, Konsa and Watkins to return.

i am officially concerned.

Edited by thunderball

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â