USA Tour: RB Leipzig - August 1 01:00

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't imagine we're picking up a lot of support in the key US market.

Some lady behind me yelled “you’re a pussy!” to Olsen when he was injured. Not sure you want these people as support, lol.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't imagine we're picking up a lot of support in the key US market.

listening to the podcast that the Athletic put out earlier... I wonder how much revenue we are getting from this tour

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It is, yes - but you're looking to see pattern, you're looking to see relationships building and the team taking shape.

We've had one shot, suffered injuries to Olsen and Ramsey, had Carlos sent off and looked like a bunch of strangers at times - it's very, very difficult to look at this pre-season tour and think things are going well.

I just think with the key players that are out. The amount of changes through transfers who are bedding in, Unai admittedly messing around with things. There’s a lot going on. We can’t expect to see the best we have to offer right now.

• Like 2

We were poor and disjointed and worryingly Leipzig seemed to be cruising all night bar the opening 5 minutes. I think it’s gonna take us a long time to get back to last season’s levels with so many changes in personnel 

25 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yeah I’m in the stadium. I definitely got the rain but was just messing around hence the troll emoji.

Actually, i got the trolling, but couldnt help myself defending the kit.   Best part of the team, on the night 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Actually, i got the trolling, but couldnt help myself defending the kit.   Best part of the team, on the night 

I love the kit. One of my favorites next to the Luke kit the year we won promotion.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

Just back to my hotel from the match.  A few opinions.  

Carlos red card was pure stupidity.  Their forward was winding him up and he took the bait.  If there is one position where we look very shallow it's centre-back. 

Rogers definitely isn't the answer as a backup centre forward.  Even before we went down to ten men his movement was all wrong.  Poorly-timed movement, ponderous and not great when receiving it deeper.  Replaced by Buendia.  Assume that Archer must be on his way out...

Good to see JJ get 30 minutes - looks rusty but minutes in his legs is a good thing...

Barkley isn't as bad as many are making out.  He's still very much adjusting to a new role under Unai.  Yes, poor on their first goal but overall not terrible and did have some positive link up with Pau and others at times.  He has an eye for a pass and sent Bailey racing clear with a brilliant pass, only for Bailey to cut back and run into a cul-de-sac when he could have raced clear.  This will be only his second season as a number six, and his first in a team that wants to build out from the back.  Not time to write him off yet..

Became a training exercise after we went down to ten and the only positive is we didn't concede more.  Finished the match with our 4th choice goalkeeper and two midfielders playing centre back.  To be fair to Dendonker and Bogarde, they did reasonably well.... 

My biggest gripe from tonight:  Every player straight down the tunnel at the end, not even a half-hearted attempt to acknowledge the supporters.  A small crowd yes, but not even a clap in their general direction.  There was about 1-2,000 Villa fans in the ground, most gathered behind the goal and sang their hearts out for 90 minutes, but not a single player made an attempt to even acknowledge them at the final whistle.  Poor, poor, poor...  I'd hazard a guess that many spent very good money (like me and the Mrs) to be there from all over the US - money spent on hotels, flights, transport.... Personally I couldn't care less (I don't go to football to get a clap from the players) but there were families/kids and hard-core fans down there behind the goal who'd have loved to have some kind of acknowledgment from their heroes... 

Didnt watch so thanks for the overview, definetly need some incomings and would like to see us go as close as possible to full strength from Saturday onwards with Dortmund/Bilbao full strength in total

Poor from players, part of the reason for the tour is to engage with fans who follow from overseas

First goal was a foul on Barkley, second was offside. 

Pathetic behaviour from the RB forward imo. Screamed f*** you in Diego’s face after he scores and then playacted/pretended to be hit in the face when Diego touched his chest. It’s a friendly you idiot  

Still just warm up games, lineups change too much. Red card then made a mess of the game. 

Get a win in last game here in US then we've two proper prep games back in Europe. 

• Like 2

Can't read anything into these games. The whole US trip is just a PR exercise. 

We won't see our 'proper' line up until probably the Bilbao game and that's when we can look into it a bit more. 

But if we lost every Pre-Season game then beat West Ham 1-0, I'd take it, so let's not all get fret up. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Carlos red card was pure stupidity.  Their forward was winding him up and he took the bait.  If there is one position where we look very shallow it's centre-back. 

Rogers definitely isn't the answer as a backup centre forward.  Even before we went down to ten men his movement was all wrong.  Poorly-timed movement, ponderous and not great when receiving it deeper.  Replaced by Buendia.  Assume that Archer must be on his way out...

Good to see JJ get 30 minutes - looks rusty but minutes in his legs is a good thing...

Barkley isn't as bad as many are making out.  He's still very much adjusting to a new role under Unai.  Yes, poor on their first goal but overall not terrible and did have some positive link up with Pau and others at times.  He has an eye for a pass and sent Bailey racing clear with a brilliant pass, only for Bailey to cut back and run into a cul-de-sac when he could have raced clear.  This will be only his second season as a number six, and his first in a team that wants to build out from the back.  Not time to write him off yet..

Became a training exercise after we went down to ten and the only positive is we didn't concede more.  Finished the match with our 4th choice goalkeeper and two midfielders playing centre back.  To be fair to Dendonker and Bogarde, they did reasonably well.... 

My biggest gripe from tonight:  Every player straight down the tunnel at the end, not even a half-hearted attempt to acknowledge the supporters.  A small crowd yes, but not even a clap in their general direction.  There was about 1-2,000 Villa fans in the ground, most gathered behind the goal and sang their hearts out for 90 minutes, but not a single player made an attempt to even acknowledge them at the final whistle.  Poor, poor, poor...  I'd hazard a guess that many spent very good money (like me and the Mrs) to be there from all over the US - money spent on hotels, flights, transport.... Personally I couldn't care less (I don't go to football to get a clap from the players) but there were families/kids and hard-core fans down there behind the goal who'd have loved to have some kind of acknowledgment from their heroes... 

The vibes seemed off from the start of the match and just got worse. 

No excuse for ghosting the fans though. You'd have thought Emery or somebody would have instructed the players to walk over to where they were and wave and clap at the very least.

So yeah, very poor show from the club  in that regard.

Something was just off kilter all night.

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Totally agree on just about all. Barkley is getting way too much stick. He slipped. It was costly. We were surrounded by RB Leipzig fans -- mostly little kids. Villa fans all seemed like fat guys in their 50s -- oh, wait, that's me.

• Like 1

The main thing I think about the US Tour is to limit time players have on those pitches. They were a big cause of PL teams suffering injuries last season. The worry was how competitive the PL series was for prep games and how poor the pitches were. 

This time we're not at same intensity as it's a week earlier than last season. Plus we are changing a lot. I think with two games back in Europe we'll use those as the real prep for West Ham. 

• Like 1

Havent seen any of the game so hard to judge on this. But my early concerns seem to be happening where we look worse in a offensive team.

We haven't replaced diaby and luiz. Thats a lot of goals and assists.

This is why despite what people may think we need someone to challenge ollie. If he gets injured we will likely pull results like this.

God only knows what dortmund are gonna do to us in next week 😂 thankfully these are just friendlies right now

• Like 2

I didn’t stay up to watch this one. And I’m glad I didn’t. The red card ruined ir as a contest. Looking at the Carlos “red card” I think if he quite embarrassed if I was a Red Bull supporter today. Carlos pats him on the stomach and he goes down holding his face. 

I wonder about the mentality of a player who will cheat so openly in a pre season friendly. I blame Carlos for not defending well, I don’t think there’s any blame for the sending off. That’s down to a pathetic player and a weak ref who’s bought the dive. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â