USA Tour: RB Leipzig - August 1 01:00

7 minutes ago, bose said:

It’s not like we’ve being playing a very weakened team either.

Cant draw too many conclusions but Cash is not good enough to be a starter for a Champions League club, Barkley looks unfit and slow. Illing jr looks levels below what’s needed. Actually thought Diego looked sharper earlier on than in the last games but to get a red card in a friendly is just a brain dead move.

Worrying with not a lot of time left before our first match.

Agree with your takes on the players. Frightening that the season starts in just over 2 weeks. Let's see what we look like vs Bilbao and BVB. If we've not signed reinforcements by then and serve up shit like this, then I'll be really worried.

Edited by LxYoungAVFC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Spoke too soon (re: my last post)

I think everyone thinks we look awful and disjointed. Other than Onana I don't have a good word to say about anyone else at any stage of the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My worry with Illing-Junior is that having seem him four times, I've still got no real idea what he is. He's not someone with the pace to go around the outside of a defender and when he cuts inside there doesn't seem to be any real purpose - get ball, take two touches to control it, give it away. He's miles off it at the moment.

• Like 3

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

My worry with Illing-Junior is that having seem him four times, I've still got no real idea what he is. He's not someone with the pace to go around the outside of a defender and when he cuts inside there doesn't seem to be any real purpose - get ball, take two touches to control it, give it away. He's miles off it at the moment.

Ive got a word to sum him up....

• Haha 1

People were saying similar about Tielemans as they're saying about Barkley now, and that was when the season had already begun. Way too early to judge individual players, shouldn't really need pointing out

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's been playing it way to safe every time he's been on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think with VAR that never gets given as a red - he's put a hand on his chest to stop him walking by.

Agreed.  Never a red.  I think VAR can only get involve if it's a straight red, not a second yellow so in that regard, they should have let that one slide.  Not helped by the player going down like a ton of shite.  Diego is a shithouse but not that much of a shithouse

4 minutes ago, bose said:

It’s not like we’ve being playing a very weakened team either.

Cant draw too many conclusions but Cash is not good enough to be a starter for a Champions League club, Barkley looks unfit and slow. Illing jr looks levels below what’s needed. Actually thought Diego looked sharper earlier on than in the last games but to get a red card in a friendly is just a brain dead move.

Worrying with not a lot of time left before our first match.

No Martinez, Konsa or Watkins. Plus no way Iling-Jr starts games either. Also Tielemens would start over Barkley.

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

It's a second yellow so VAR wouldn't get involved.

I thought VAR looked at all red cards?

Regardless, it's a whole lot of nothing - albeit one that Carlos got stupid enough to get involved in after the forward gave him a mouthful.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Pffft.

I thought we looked sharper than we have in any pre-season game so far, especially early on, but we drifted out of it with a lack of movement - some of that comes from not having a centre forward.

Digne, Torres, Onana, Bailey and McGinn looked pretty sharp for us - Carlos was alright until he got mugged off by the forward, he made his own trouble and he's way too experienced to be that stupid. Barkley looks laborious and lumbering, everything Barrenechea doesn't, Rogers just couldn't' get involved and isn't a centre forward, Cash got better as the half went on and did alright, 

I took particular interest in Illing-Junior in the hope of seeing more from him, but again he was ineffective and looks like he's not sure what he wants to do - he looks to me like a player you'd loan to the Championship, but the manager seems to like him, so I'm guessing he's showing more in training than in games right now.

We're playing better opposition and at times we've looked bright, but we're sloppy at the back and we're not quite gelling yet - squad shows that we're a CF and at least one CB light.

‘Digne, Torres, Onana, Bailey and McGinn looked pretty sharp for us‘

OBE normally agree with you but…. Digne was his normal ‘no end product’ and Bailey/McGinn were as sharp as butter knives…. thought Onana looks the part and agree Illing Junior was poor after doing well in previous games,

• Like 1

Carlos on his day is a good defender (not a coincidence he was involved in the Arsenal x2 and City wins), but the problem is he ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous too frequently for a team aspiring to stay at the level Villa have climbed to. You can't gift some of the chances and goals he does and get away with it very often. Between him and Cash, that part of the team is the most easily upgradable depending on where Konsa plays, and I think it's quite necessary at this point.

Edited by Indigo
  • Thanks 1

What have we learnt from that half?

We need to get rid of Carlos.  - He deserved to go even if Openda play acted. He has been slow, out of position and for their second goal he seemed very half-hearted until after the ball had gone into the net and then his reaction  got him sent off. It doesn't feel like a one off.

Illing Jr looks lost

Barkley and Onana have been getting in each other's way but Onana has completely dominated Barklet leaving him a bystander.

Olsen was his usual self.

Rogers at centre forward might work in the future but it is hard to judge based on this match as he has hardly seen the ball.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â