USA Tour: Columbus Crew - July 28 01:00

2 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Rogers has a tendency to look great for half a game but then kind of disappears

Especially in the preseason. ;) 

In other news ... 

I'll do a Sir Alex here ... I was impressed with the Villa performance.
We played our third and fourth goalkeepers here. How serious can it be?

This was an opportunity for new players, young'uns, a few regulars and Barkley to be seen by a wider audience. For them to get some sort of match time. And most importantly, for Emery and his team to assess players in a semi-competitive match.

Onana caught my eye. As did Rogers. Cash did as well ... in both a "good and bad" sense. Barkley was sloppy at times, but that could be said of many of the players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

That fella had scored against us in the opening game in the 21/22 season for Watford when they beat us 3-2 crazyy!! then he left to join Columbus the following summer.

Let's bring him (kinda) home!!

4 hours ago, TomC said:

What formations did we use? The usual 4-4-2 in defence and 3-box-3 in attack? Did both fullbacks attack or just the left? Who played where? How did they use Iling?

usual 442, we did the 3 box 3, but also sometimes both fullbacks went forward, especially in the first half with Moreno and Nedjlkovic.

Moreno/Kosta LB/RB first half, Maatsen/Cash LB/RB seconf half, Digne played left CB at some point, second half i think.

Iling Jr was played in the left mid position, the inside left midfield thingy.

Buendia played RM second half.

philogene played the LM in the second half.

Rogers played in the deeper SS/No.10 role first half, Archer as striker.

Onana kinda played as an 8 in the second half when he came on, hard to know exactly, he was everywhere, deeper at times, higher up the pitch others.

Barrenchea as the DM first half, Barkley as the second MC/no.8 type.

Hard to remember it all exactly, it was a painful watch at 02:30am........i was questioning my life choices as it got close to 3am.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Ramsey is massively overrated if I’m honest. He had an excellent run of about 12 games. 

The rest of his Villa career he’s been way off that. 

He’s a very good player. But he doesn’t get in our first XI, and I’m not sure it’s close

From someone who thinks Declan Rice is class, I'll take that opinion of Ramsay with a pinch of salt. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

From someone who thinks Declan Rice is class, I'll take that opinion of Ramsay with a pinch of salt. 

Thanks for the contribution

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Thanks for the contribution

Young player and player of the season 2022, voted by the fans. I think your opinion would be very much of a minority.  How about that contribution? Seeing as you kind of asked.

• Like 1

Young player and player of the season 2022, voted by the fans. I think your opinion would be very much of a minority.  How about that contribution? Seeing as you kind of asked.

You seem to be under the impression that I said he wasn’t very good. I didn’t. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You seem to be under the impression that I said he wasn’t very good. I didn’t. 

You said he doesn't get in the first 11 and he's "Overrated." I firmly disagree. 

However, time will tell. Maybe we'll come back to this subject then.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You said he doesn't get in the first 11 and he's "Overrated." I firmly disagree. 

Yeah he doesn’t get in the first XI. Who are you dropping for him? Rogers and a fit Buendia are both better than him on the left. Centrally McGinn, Tielemans, Onana, Kamara are all better than him. 

He’s a very good player and I’m happy we’ve got him. Where we are now he’ll get plenty of game time because we need a lot of quality players. 

But if we’re picking our best XI I don’t think he’s in it, and for that reason he is by definition overrated, imo. 

Hope that helps, but feel free to make weird comments about Declan rice in response if you like

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah he doesn’t get in the first XI. Who are you dropping for him? Rogers and a fit Buendia are both better than him on the left. Centrally McGinn, Tielemans, Onana, Kamara are all better than him. 

He’s a very good player and I’m happy we’ve got him. Where we are now he’ll get plenty of game time because we need a lot of quality players. 

But if we’re picking our best XI I don’t think he’s in it, and for that reason he is by definition overrated, imo. 

Hope that helps, but feel free to make weird comments about Declan rice in response if you like

Like i said, I think a fit Jacob is as good as Rodgers and Buendia. He's nowhere near his prime, plenty of improvement to come. 

Nothing weird about the Rice comment, you think he's rated, I don't.  I'm just giving an example of an opinion you have about another player that I question. Absolutely nothing weird about that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Like i said, I think a fit Jacob is as good as Rodgers and Buendia. He's nowhere near his prime, plenty of improvement to come. 

Nothing weird about the Rice comment, you think he's rated, I don't.  I'm just giving an example of an opinion you have about another player that I question. Absolutely nothing weird about that.

It’s weird bringing my opinion of a completely different player who plays for a different club in a different position into a discussion about Jacob Ramsey. 

Very weird

But you do you

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s weird bringing my opinion of a completely different player who plays for a different club in a different position into a discussion about Jacob Ramsey. 

Very weird

But you do you

I'm merely questioning what in your opinion makes a great player. By that definition, it was perfectly correct to mention your opinion on Rice. He's a footballer, as is Ramsay. I think Rice is massively overrated. I don't think Ramsay is overrated. 

I'm merely questioning what in your opinion makes a great player. By that definition, it was perfectly correct to mention your opinion on Rice. He's a footballer, as is Ramsay. I think Rice is massively overrated. I don't think Ramsay is overrated. 

Cool man

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Id rather have a fit ramsey in the team than buendia in all honesty 

Buendia even both the injury was massively inconsistent 

I like both tbf, D. But I do have a soft spot for JJ. I remember watching him for the youth team and he was giving the give and go's, and I thought, there's a player. Nice to be proven right.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id rather have a fit ramsey in the team than buendia in all honesty 

Buendia even both the injury was massively inconsistent 

Such different players. Ideally you want one of each type in the side to give you different sorts of threats.

Just watched the full 90 having been camping. Other than a few moment where they capitalised on inexperience or preseason adjustment/sloppiness, I thought we were good. Nice interplay, and generally good understanding. Dominated long periods, could have had 3 or 4 ourselves on another day. Prime Emery Villa of last season smashes that lot.

Lots of first 11 to come back, and they have to play together yet. And I reckon 2 or 3 significant additions likely too. All bodes well, as mentioned by others, scoreline aside I think Fergie would have said similar things as after Newcastle last season.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â