USA Tour: Columbus Crew - July 28 01:00

Just seen the goals who made the errors fro 1st two goals? The 2nd was really poor. I think that was feeney. Avoidable that one and first player falls over

Also on a side note pretty kool that the fans were walking through a bar to get on the pitch. Where you had columbus fans and villa fans. Shame that wouldnt work here as fabs would be fighting each other 😂

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Every year it’s the same. 

Pre season friendlies are meaningless. They are glorified training sessions. 

We’ve had pre seasons where we’ve been amazing and then been absolutely dog shit in the league. We’ve had seasons where we’ve been dogshit in pre season and been amazing in the league. 

It means absolutely shit all

Even games at the start of the season are not an indicator. We got hammered 5-1 by Newcastle in the first one and ended up finishing 4th.

• Like 4

Stayed up to watch the game. Some of my takeaways were:

Gauci - On this evidence isn’t the answer for replacing Olsen as no.2. Gave the ball away badly under pressure early on which could / should have led to a goal. Didn’t do great with two of the 3 goals. 

Barkley and Barrenechea are not currently showing for the ball enough to help the defence break the high press. They had a good press at times and we found it hard to get out but I thought we missed the option Luiz might have made in the middle. Against last night’s much fitter and match sharp opposition Barkley didn’t impose himself on the game.

Feeney needs a loan spell playing against men competitively every week. obviously his loan last season didn’t work out great as he got very little game time. I am guessing that his inclusion in the team this preseason was partly to increase his loan suitors. It was not a good night for that as while he looked like there’s a player in there he also made some expensive errors. I think he’s unlikely to get a championship loan.

Onana has got a pass on him.

Unai may be trying to highlight that he thinks we need a new centre half. Digne!

Kosta shows a lot of potential, he’s got a good pass, a great engine and works hard, can get caught out of position and sometimes jumps in and gets caught out.

All of the starting players looked leggy later on. Hopefully they are being worked really hard to get them into optimum fitness.

• Like 1

I went to bed at midnight, fell asleep, woke up boiling hot at 2am, so watched the 2nd half. 

3 positives, Buendia back on the pitch, Onana looks a tank and more minutes in the legs. 

Result is meaningless, well unless you support Colombus Crew who's fans all got a tad excited. 

I'd worry more if that result happened a week before the season starts. 

Edited by UpTheVilla26
  • Like 2

Who from the first half team would be starting our first game of the season? Probably just Pau? Maybe Rogers but I don't think he'll start. 

Team only got to USA on Wednesday too. 

36 minutes ago, mallett said:

Stayed up to watch the game. Some of my takeaways were:

Gauci - On this evidence isn’t the answer for replacing Olsen as no.2. Gave the ball away badly under pressure early on which could / should have led to a goal. Didn’t do great with two of the 3 goals. 

Barkley and Barrenechea are not currently showing for the ball enough to help the defence break the high press. They had a good press at times and we found it hard to get out but I thought we missed the option Luiz might have made in the middle. Against last night’s much fitter and match sharp opposition Barkley didn’t impose himself on the game.

Feeney needs a loan spell playing against men competitively every week. obviously his loan last season didn’t work out great as he got very little game time. I am guessing that his inclusion in the team this preseason was partly to increase his loan suitors. It was not a good night for that as while he looked like there’s a player in there he also made some expensive errors. I think he’s unlikely to get a championship loan.

Onana has got a pass on him.

Unai may be trying to highlight that he thinks we need a new centre half. Digne!

Kosta shows a lot of potential, he’s got a good pass, a great engine and works hard, can get caught out of position and sometimes jumps in and gets caught out.

All of the starting players looked leggy later on. Hopefully they are being worked really hard to get them into optimum fitness.

Hard to judge on one pre season friendly.  City lost, chelsea got battered. Doesnt really matter at this stage. We will get better as pre season progresses.

But definitely need a replacement for diaby

• Like 1

Re-watched the goals - it’s mostly just good finishing from Cucho, I think Gauci has to come off his line quicker for one of them. The team plays a high line and it was obvious that some are adjusting to that. I take nothing from the game because it’s a friendly. It’s about building fitness and allowing the new faces to integrate and get familiar with each other. Really happy to see Buendia back too. 

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Who from the first half team would be starting our first game of the season? Probably just Pau? Maybe Rogers but I don't think he'll start. 

Team only got to USA on Wednesday too. 

I think Rogers will start. Probably LM. JJ won't be match fit in time and Iling Junior won't be thrown in straight away.

15 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I think Rogers will start. Probably LM. JJ won't be match fit in time and Iling Junior won't be thrown in straight away.

Rogers is better than JJ anyway. Even if he’s fit JJ won’t be above Rogers in the pecking order

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hard to judge on one pre season friendly.  City lost, chelsea got battered. Doesnt really matter at this stage. We will get better as pre season progresses.

But definitely need a replacement for diaby

Hojlund and Yoro went off injured for United too. No idea to what extent, but I’m glad we don’t have those concerns either. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villan95 said:

There's certainly some selection headaches and that's without even signing any more players. Onana surely starts but whether that's next to Tielemans, Barrenechea, Barkley or McGinn is anyone's guess.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't think it's beside McGinn, but you're right. The rest is anyone's guess. I think Tielemans has to start more than not. But he's not a 6 and he takes up a spot further forward. I'm glad I'm not Unai.

As you say, Onana is in there, for me the other CM is Tielemans, with Barrenchea as development backup and Barkley as straight backup/rotation.

McGinn is defo not a CM in this system.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I think we'll play McGinn LM if Felix has signed before our two final Friendly games. 

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

As you say, Onana is in there, for me the other CM is Tielemans, with Barrenchea as development backup and Barkley as straight backup/rotation.

Agreed, Tielemans is better defensively than McGinn so better in the CM position beside Onana

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed, Tielemans is better defensively than McGinn so better in the CM position beside Onana

Makes the most sense. They’re the best players and fits we have now and have already played together or established a relationship while playing for Belgium.

Evident that the long term plan for McGinn was not and is not at CM. We have more suited players there. He’ll get to attack more, whether out wide or supporting Ollie.

Barkley (needs to get up speed, reminding us of his last stint - sweaty and exhausted. Will surely improve, early and only preseason) and Barrenechea the backups/alternatives, for now anyway.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â