USA Tour: Columbus Crew - July 28 01:00

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're not quite sharp yet, but we're missing a bundle of players still and I'm not sure we should be panicking.

Turns out, I'm perfectly sure we should not be panicking.

9 minutes ago, BOF said:

I can't even sympathise with them regarding who played. They got 2 Villa teams. They saw most everyone. We played against a team in peak fitness. You're really watching a competitive training session at this stage. Anyone actually complaining about performance or result in July is either very new to the sport, enviably young in years, or just wants to complain for cathartic reasons or is deluded.

This is some entitled shit is what it is, and it's embarrassing.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

This is some entitled shit is what it is, and it's embarrassing.

Fans gonna fan 🤷🏻‍♂️

I watched the game.

Emery has his philosophy and it will never change but sometimes the passing out from the back inspires the opposition to be aggressive. It can occasionally backfire with sloppy mistakes and lacking intensity!

We saw it in a few matches last season where Villa got pressed and self-destruct!

But hey it's our third match, it is just a friendly and some new faces and young players means we could always get beat.

Consequently to what some have said I thought Archer did well, some good holding of the ball, nice passes with Rogers and a fantastic finish for his goal.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Ramsey has some job getting back in. Which is a great complaint. What I do wonder is what he'll do with the second pivot position while Kamara is out. Will it just be Onana, or will he pair him with someone else and go 31 up front. So many choices.

We'd certainly score a lot of goals!

As someone who was at the game:

The Boys were definitely gassed. And if you're going to face an MLS club, Columbus are probably the most talented and best coached team in the league. And, as I've said before, the MLS quality is nothing to snicker at any more.

Truly, what I think the biggest problem is, is the lack of execution up front and just getting to know each other. Lots of palms up after miss passes and missed runs.

Emery needs to drill them for a good week. Get the feeling down and get down to business. 

• Like 1

Sounds like in a VAR assisted league that result looks very different. As crap as it is, our whole style of play would need to change if VAR gets binned. Unless they keep automated offsides. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginko said:

The style of play that got us 4th place last season?

The new personnel that have been here a matter of days and haven’t had time to gel with their new teammates or even get match fit?

Jesus wept.

The style of play that saw us concede a ton of goals, get hammered by 3 goals plus on several occasions and I’m talking about improving central defence. 

Like it or not, laugh or whatever, we’re too easy to score against. During the season and in friendlies. I’m not sorry for wanting to see that improve. 

3 hours ago, BOF said:

That is a fair point that may get missed. They're also 23 games into their domestic season. We had no business beating them tonight.

Course we bloody did. They're American!

Jk

I thought they were very good, pressed really well, transitioned in a heartbeat and exploited our high line

That wee fella who got the hatrick had a hell of a finish on him too

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Every year it’s the same. 

Pre season friendlies are meaningless. They are glorified training sessions. 

We’ve had pre seasons where we’ve been amazing and then been absolutely dog shit in the league. We’ve had seasons where we’ve been dogshit in pre season and been amazing in the league. 

It means absolutely shit all

Rinse and repeat every year. 

• Like 1

It was pretty obvious that a lot of these players have never played together before.   That's what preseason is for, so no huge worries there.  I saw some promising signs, but also some concerns.  Things should improve offensively with Watkins, McGinn and Ramsey back in the squad and defensively with Konsa back in.   But tonight looked like a team that plans to win by outscoring the opposition rather than keeping them out except with no indication that they can score much at all.

Onana looked good and it was good to see "Emilio" Bundia back and looking tidy, but most everyone else was a little disappointing to me, especially the new signings that I was hoping would show why we signed them.   It looked like we got the Villa Barkley, not the Luton one.  Maatsen, who was so good going forward for Dortmund, looke like he'd been brought in for the sole purpose of playing the ball back to the left center back whenever he got it.  JPG got in some good positions but didn't do anything once he got the ball.

I hope by the end of the US tour the players who are likely to be starting games and coming on as first choice subs will get some minutes together so they can develop a feel for one another.   It's hard for the first choice players to do well when half their teammates are youngsters or second choice subs.

Admittedly I only watched the extended highlights but these are some of the key points from that:

Score didn’t reflect the chances in the match. They were incredibly clinical and we weren’t.

Two of their goals may have been offside.

We may have been awarded two penalties.

Gauci got his positioning terribly wrong on goals two and three. He has lots to learn.

Rogers continues to look class.

Carlos continues to be a problem, as does Cash.

Onana looked good.

It’s pre season and the lads looked jaded.

Lots of Americans are very large!

Well im glad i didnt stay up to watch that !

But yeah its a friendly  pkayed two different sides and we obviously missing key players like emi and ollie. Obviously more fitter than us too.  We will get better as more minutes get on.

But i still have my reservations we look weaker as a attacking force than last season

I never watch non competitive games and couldn't care less if we lost 10-0 in all the games.

They are meaningless.

They exist to build up fitness

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â