USA Tour: Columbus Crew - July 28 01:00

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Well played Columbus.

That is a fair point that may get missed. They're also 23 games into their domestic season. We had no business beating them tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've not watched, so my opinion is as useful as a stolen Rolex on a missing hiker, but it seems again like if we play our game of playing from the back, but do it without the first choice players, then it ends in tears. Just need to have the first choice players.

We practically dominated possession for both halves, but got caught with the long ball in the first 45 and made a dreadful error in the second.

We looked tired and sloppy, you know, like everyone does in preseason. Whether that’s down to lack of fitness and sharpness, the fact the opposition ARE fit and sharp due to them being midseason,  the heat and humidity, the new players being unfamiliar with each other, that were missing key players, any other perfectly valid reason…

Most likely it’s a combination of all of the above. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

You people questioning Digne. What are you people trying to say? 

p13866_p_v10_ac.jpg

We should most certainly be keeping Digne, if we are to shift one it would be Moreno imo, Cash with some schoolboy error to lead to their goal which is a shame because he played good other than that.

love how our captain was not even watching the game 😂 Super JM cant wait to see him flying around in that insane kit 🔥

Mcginn—Onana—Tielemans 

Thats the trio that will be relied upon as the base of our midfield.

1 minute ago, Ginko said:

We practically dominated possession for both halves, but got caught with the long ball in the first 45 and made a dreadful error in the second.

We looked tired and sloppy, you know, like everyone does in preseason. Whether that’s down to lack of fitness as sharpness, the fact the opposition ARE fit and sharp due to then being midseason,  the heat and humidity, the new players being unfamiliar with each other, that were missing key players, any other perfectly valid reason…

Most likely it’s a combination of all of the above. Nothing to see here.

100% and completely agree with you. It's all the reasons you play pre season. There's nothing to be deduced. It's just getting miles in the legs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Getting onto the bench right now is going to be very hard for him. 

Fair. There is a lot of competition, especially down that left hand side. I guess we'll see what happens in terms of departures. Whether Rogers ends up playing centrally too.

• Like 1

Mitigation;

Very early in preseason. Lots of first teamers missing. New players haven't played together. Youngsters on. Columbus Crew lively and mid-season. Hot weather and possibly still jetlagged.

Concerns;

Sloppy from the seasoned players. Barkley is so far exactly like his first stint. Cash asleep. Carlos all body checks and no football. Youngsters aren't shining really. Not convinced on this depth we apparently have.

Highlights;

Emi is back! Looked quite good and as scrappy as ever. Barrenchea looks like we might have stumbled on a quality player. Shirt looks amazing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

Fair. There is a lot of competition, especially down that left hand side. I guess we'll see what happens in terms of departures. Whether Rogers ends up playing centrally too.

If we're after a high priced replacement for Diaby then I can't see Rogers playing centrally. Otherwise it's Rogers, Watkins, Bailey and e.g João Felix with someone else playing left. That's a front 5. We have so many options. I think primarily Rogers stays left. But I guess on and off, we could see all sorts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

If we're after a high priced replacement for Diaby then I can't see Rogers playing centrally. Otherwise it's Rogers, Watkins, Bailey and e.g João Felix with someone else playing left. That's a front 5. We have so many options. I think primarily Rogers stays left. But I guess on and off, we could see all sorts.

Yeah if we do end up getting a Felix type then most likely Rogers stays out wide. We have so many combinations though and I don't think Unai pigeon holes players. We could see Rogers/Buendia/Bailey/Tielemans/McGinn all used as a second striker and likewise as wide players depending on the opponent.

Edited by villan95

Negatives: All goals were the result of errors. Barkley didn’t inspire any confidence 

Positives: Onana and Maatsen both had good cameo performances. Emi is back and rge shirts look nice

I never read to much into preseason friendly’s and to be fair Columbus Crew are a good side in mid season 

3 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Yeah if we do end up getting a Felix type then most likely Rogers stays out wide. We have so many combinations though and I don't think Unai pigeon holes players. We could see Rogers/Buendia/Bailey/Tielemans/McGinn all used as a second striker and likewise as wide players depending on the opponent.

Ramsey has some job getting back in. Which is a great complaint. What I do wonder is what he'll do with the second pivot position while Kamara is out. Will it just be Onana, or will he pair him with someone else and go 31 up front. So many choices.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Ramsey has some job getting back in. Which is a great complaint. What I do wonder is what he'll do with the second pivot position while Kamara is out. Will it just be Onana, or will he pair him with someone else and go 31 up front. So many choices.

There's certainly some selection headaches and that's without even signing any more players. Onana surely starts but whether that's next to Tielemans, Barrenechea, Barkley or McGinn is anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

There's certainly some selection headaches and that's without even signing any more players. Onana surely starts but whether that's next to Tielemans, Barrenechea, Barkley or McGinn is anyone's guess.

I don't think it's beside McGinn, but you're right. The rest is anyone's guess. I think Tielemans has to start more than not. But he's not a 6 and he takes up a spot further forward. I'm glad I'm not Unai.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I don't think it's beside McGinn, but you're right. The rest is anyone's guess. I think Tielemans has to start more than not. But he's not a 6 and he takes up a spot further forward. I'm glad I'm not Unai.

Mad to think we're potentially looking at a Villa team without both McGinn and Ramsey starting if another forward is signed.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

While it is definitely possible and probably going to happen at times, I do still think McGinn is one of the first names on the team sheet. Even though there are arguments to the contrary. I just don't think you can make up for his workload in the aggregate. He has to be on the pitch, and then you go from there. It's a bit like Gallagher at Chelsea. Only ours is better, with a better arse.

Yeah we would lose a lot without him on the pitch. I guess at the moment he would start on the right and Bailey just off Watkins. If/when that other forward arrives it becomes tricky though. 1 of Bailey or McGinn then has to become more of an impact player, unless McGinn plays in the pivot.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â