Borussia Dortmund - August 10 16:00

Just now, Enda said:

This is a niche complaint and nothing about you in particular, sid.

I **** hate the phrase “I feel like”.

I'm pretty certain that the majority of goals we've conceded in the last year or so has been from trying to play the ball out when trying to play out under pressure.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

we just cant keep the ball.

I guess this is the difference, passing out from the back and retaining the ball is one thing against your average side,  but against top sides its a different animal.

My worry is If we can’t replace the Dougie/Kamara axis quickly enough. That was the best and most important part of our team last season, even Watkins talked about its importance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

There's something we're doing, that we did at times last season... definitely an Emery thing but I hate it and it pisses me off.

Ned in space, in front of him Philogene in space. Konsa turns around and goes back to Martinez and we eventually lose the ball through Torres and Digne.

We do this a lot. Cash was the king at it. Open space in front of him and he’d just turn around and give it back to Konsa. Used to drive me insane. 

For a team that wants to build out from the back, we’re mighty poor at it.

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's started every single preseason match and had more minutes than all. Not that weird 

This is likely a final system test and tweak 

Fair enough. Probably come on at HT given how poorly we are playing.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I feel like the majority of goals we've conceded in the last year or so has been from trying to play the ball out when trying to play out under pressure. 

i guess that part of improving isnt it, as Emery said in his first few months here, something like "you learn to play my way, or you wont play".

I guess its a long term thing, we play a certain way, and over time we will bring in more and more players to play it the way he wants, and current players adjust or get moved on.

Its a weakness at times for sure, but i understand why Emery wants us to do it.

Honestly, i thought the interview after our Arsenal loss in Emery's first season with us made it 100% clear to me why he insists on us playing how we play.

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I'm pretty certain that the majority of goals we've conceded in the last year or so has been from trying to play the ball out when trying to play out under pressure.  

And a significant chunk of our goals came from building up from the back.

Live by the sword, die by it. 

The worrying thing is we seem to have lost the cutting edge to our attack since about 10 games before the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

My worry is If we can’t replace the Dougie/Kamara axis quickly enough. That was the best and most important part of our team last season, even Watkins talked about its importance.

Yeah this is a huge problem for me. Say what you want about Dougie's form but he didn't shy away from being open to getting on the ball. If Tielemans is going to do his job he's got to find space when Pau/Digne are on the ball.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

This is a niche complaint and nothing about you in particular, sid.

I **** hate the phrase “I feel like”.

I feel like thats just a phrasing to sound less bombastic

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

?? Our new axis is Tielemans Onana...nobody else is coming in into midfield.

Just can’t keep hold of the ball. Our pressing not great and we can’t seem to play around their press, no outlet up front. We need to see more than this in our final preseason friendly.

Nedelkovic has looked really good though, will go right to the top.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â