Borussia Dortmund - August 10 16:00

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I would also point out that whilst I agree about momentum going into the season has value, how many times have we had a good preseason amd people have got overly excited about the up coming season, only to see it all come tumbling down once the season starts for real?

In 2019 just before our first season back in the Premier League where we scraped survival on the last day, we were unbeaten in pre-season, which included not one but two wins over RB Leipzig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Creating a hostile atmosphere for the opposition.

Quite normal in european stadiums

We should do a little bit more of the same at VP

• Like 3

Bit perturbed by our lack of cutting edge as it suggests we'll have a heavy reliance on Ollie but in preseason I'd rather play good teams and lose then play some  random team and win 10-0

A proper striker and a CB before the end of the month and we'll be OK

Edited by _AA_786
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I legit think he hasn't cared about these results and has been determined to just get players minutes and try things.

Not saying he wouldn't have preferred if it was all clicking and winning obviously.

However I think he will have learnt alot 

We'll see the best team against West Ham.

I do have a slight fear it could be a slow start to the season for us though before it clicks

He looked levels above not caring today, he looked angry and agitated at times. There’s an intensity there that isn’t seeing what he wants to see.

If we start with 3 point next Saturday afternoon I don’t think anyone will mention this game. 

If we lose I’m sure people will point to this as evidence. 

For me, preseason has been poor but it counts for nothing. I’ll see where we are by the end of August. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I agree

VP does seem very family friendly 

It sounded far from perfect but with Ollie missing and others getting minutes that are new to the team or returning from injuries  we should judge this game with some perspective. 

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

I suspect other European teams also view Premier League teams as spoilt arrogant rich kids which are overrated lol.

Hence also feel extra onus to turn one over.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Yes. The ones who refuse to allow posters to say anything remotely negative about the team. It hasn’t been a convincing pre season. We were poor for a fair amount of the second part of last season. And, this transfer window (so far) hasn’t seen us improve the starting 11, really. 

It’s more that pre season isn’t meant to be competitive or an accurate reflection of how we will play during the season.

It wouldn’t make sense from a fitness and injury prevention perspective to peak now or to put 100% effort in.

Lots of teams do well in pre season and then have a terrible season (we’ve done this a few times before) and vice versa. The results simply don’t mean anything, and the performances don’t mean too much either.

Emery knows what he’s doing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

That’s another reason why we scheduled this sort of away game in preseason, the experience is very valuable to the players when we start our CL campaign. Well done to the club for realising this with the guidance of our elite manager and his backroom staff. We’re on the march. UTV!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It seems natural to "read into" the preseason games somewhat, and I don't think we can honestly look at our preseason and say there aren't some reasons for concern. Not panic—concern. 

1. We're using experimental lineups. Sometimes our opposition have been second-squad, too. But we still lost.
  2. We don't seem to be progressing balls into chances in the box, and then we miss shots.
  3. There have been some truly amateurish moments where our defensive midfield show a lack of coordination with the rest of the team. Not playing as a team yet, and time is running out. 
  4. We've conceded too many goals, too consistently. 

We can talk all day about how these games don't matter, but of course, if they don't matter, then we can't very well go complain if some of these same areas of concern re-emerge next week, can we?

Of course they matter.

Everyone knows preseason wins raise morale. Maybe we don't need that on paper, but it's not like wins would hurt us, despite at least one of us suggesting just that here, if I recall? 

It's been a bit of a sucky preseason. Just acknowledge that shit. Own it and move on. I'm not doing either happy claps or woe-is-us. No patience either for "well, in 1984, we lost two preseason matches against Club Whatever, and still won our opening game." No no no. Too late now. No time for such bull now. Hope we get our act together. Think fast -- it's on. Up the Villa. Preseason is dead, and Emery and the squad can learn from it all they want, but I suspect -- if I know Emery -- he's already created a West Ham Genome Project on his iPad Pro and is studying it in his sleep along with the microphysics of Bailey's left foot.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

Worth remembering that within 40 minutes of the start of last season we had lost two important players to season long injuries and (if memory serves) Ramsey had also been ruled out due to an injury on England duty.  I think there will be a collective exhaling of breath if we can start this season relatively injury free (in terms of new injuries).

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Of course they matter.

Everyone knows preseason wins raise morale. Maybe we don't need that on paper, but it's not like wins would hurt us, despite at least one of us suggesting just that here, if I recall? 

It's been a bit of a sucky preseason. Just acknowledge that shit.

I don’t agree with this at all. These are literally training games and money spinners, their purpose isn’t to put points on the board or even to raise morale.

It’s pretty common for one of your best players in pre season to go out on loan! That’s how unrelated to the actual season they are.

I’d take this even further to argue that the first few games of the season don’t tell you much.

5 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

That's really not how I see it. Their first goal would never stand in a competitive match. Offside and not really a trip on the player? VAR would rule that out. Their second was a freaky lapse in judgement from the defender. They got !ucky. Meanwhile, we had a blatant penalty not given for a three way crunch on Rogers. Again, VAR would probably give us that penalty. We also had two or three half chances in the second half, that on another day, we might have got a goal from.

We absorbed a huge amount of pressure from them in the first half with them having hardly any shots on goal despite that pressure and possession. From the Champions League finalists! We then grew into the game more in the second half. Both teams played strong, but not their strongest teams and in a competitive setting it could easily have been a 1-1 draw. With a competent ref, they would have had a number of yellow cards too.

Long story short, we got important minutes in the legs, the new players seem to have started adjusting to their new team mates and playing style. We didn't crumble to a team as good as we are likely to meet this season. Of course it would have been nice to win, or even get the draw you could argue that we deserved. Today it didn't go our way and we lost 2-0 to a top team in good form. People do like to make an unnecessary fuss!

Don't get me wrong. I don't care about friendlies and make any judgements from them. Just think they were the much better team today.

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

I'd rather just cheer my own team and let everyone enjoy a competitive GAME of football. Getting hostile and trying to intimidate rival fans and teams feels rather backward and unsophisticated to me. But as that is my view of most of the people in this world, my own countrymen included, I suggest everyone just ignore me and my grumpy outlook on life. Carry on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

It wasn't a hostile atmosphere, for most of the game it wasn't really any kind of atmosphere at all, they were very pre season until their goal

The yellow wall booed Emi and booed our corner takers, little bit of nothing after the Rogers handbags but that was it

It's not like they booed our every touch 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

If we start with 3 point next Saturday afternoon I don’t think anyone will mention this game. 

If we lose I’m sure people will point to this as evidence. 

For me, preseason has been poor but it counts for nothing. I’ll see where we are by the end of August. 

Especially given we haven't played with Watkins or Duran

The sloppiness is what pre season is but the toothlessness is obvious as to what the problem is and how it will be fixed 

I am not in the slightest bit worried by our pre season, I have thought we have a tough season ahead from the beginning, but I still have belief and confidence that we will be fine...

Pre season is not the time to judge....

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â