Borussia Dortmund - August 10 16:00

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Preseason, being the most relevant part of your post Sid. 

Yeah well let's see how the season starts. Seems odd everyone we play seems sharp and crisp and we don't. 

Form and momentum is important. 

Not sure where else to put this but we’ve been atrocious in pre season and our inability to defend at the back end of last season seems to have carried over into pre season.

Quite frankly, we need two new centre halves if Carlos leaves to push Konsa and Torres. My feelings on Torres aside for a moment, we’re too weak at the back and we can’t seem to play out when pressed. When Emery first came in, teams pressed us and we’d hurt them, now we seem to crumble under any pressure on our back line.

I don’t confess to know what the answer is, but we can’t go on conceding goals like we are. Hiding behind the excuse that it’s ok because it’s pre-season is foolish as we saw the same patterns play out in the last two months of last season.

If I were Emery, I’d be worried. He either trusts who he has and tweaks something or he brings in new personnel to play the way he thinks we’re capable of playing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Tbf I don’t think we can underestimate the absence of Watkins.

We can't be a one man team,thats no less of a worry for me. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Preseason, being the most relevant part of your post Sid. 

Are you implying it's all irrelevant? Sure, we have Watkins due to return and boy do we need him, but you cannot say watching us operate in his absence has offered much to feel enthusiastic about. We look way off it. Hope I am wrong, but I expect a slow start.

6 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

This ref is horrific.

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

This ref has been shite as well

6 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

officiating has been a joke 

I take it the ref has been poor 🤣 

Honest question, what is causing the poor officiating? Generally in the Euros they wasn't too bad, the worst was the PL refs. But is it claret and blue glasses or just really 💩 refs?

Let’s try for some positives:

1. Minutes for Emi. Nearly saved the penalty.

2. Great competition for both full back slots. Let’s say Mattie Cash starts against West Ham; he’ll know he has to play out of his skin to keep his spot.

3. Pau is smart enough to learn from that. Got it out of his system hopefully.

4. Ollie will be back.

5. Little Emi showing lots of spark. He’ll play a big role this year.

6. Kosta looks a bargain.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Kosta is looking so good. Levels better than Cash on this and other pre season displays.

I'm very impressed with him. After 90 minutes he still has pace to burn. What an asset!

Just now, calcifer said:

Honest question, what is causing the poor officiating? Generally in the Euros they wasn't too bad, the worst was the PL refs. But is it claret and blue glasses or just really 💩 refs?

He was really poor. Felt like two set of rules in play. 

Saying that Dortmund were much better side and deserved the win. 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure where else to put this but we’ve been atrocious in pre season and our inability to defend at the back end of last season seems to have carried over into pre season.

Quite frankly, we need two new centre halves if Carlos leaves to push Konsa and Torres. My feelings on Torres aside for a moment, we’re too weak at the back and we can’t seem to play out when pressed. When Emery first came in, teams pressed us and we’d hurt them, now we seem to crumble under any pressure on our back line.

I don’t confess to know what the answer is, but we can’t go on conceding goals like we are. Hiding behind the excuse that it’s ok because it’s pre-season is foolish as we saw the same patterns play out in the last two months of last season.

If I were Emery, I’d be worried. He either trusts who he has and tweaks something or he brings in new personnel to play the way he thinks we’re capable of playing. 

Tough for the happy clappers to back today’s performance. One week until the league starts and we look bloody awful. This season I get the impression we are going to concede a lot of goals and struggle to score… not a great recipe for success. 

The saving grace at the moment is that we haven’t played what should be the main starting 11 yet. So there is still hope that we can actually play well. 

We also need to shift players and recruit. Quickly. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Are you implying it's all irrelevant? Sure, we have Watkins due to return and boy do we need him, but you cannot say watching us operate in his absence has offered much to feel enthusiastic about. We look way off it. Hope I am wrong, but I expect a slow start.

In fairness we’ve been missing both our starting and back up strikers. It’s also useful for Emery to learn that Rogers isn’t that guy, just in case Duran leaves and we’d considered not replacing him. 

2 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Shouldn't be lost on anyone that he was literally wearing yellow and black 😅

Better 2nd half performance but we have an awful lot of work to do before West Ham. Where is Ollie? Is he injured? Is he being sold? We needed him to start today, if he doesn’t start at West Ham we’re in trouble because no one else is capable of leading the line. 

We really need a couple of quality signings to give us some confidence. 

It's often said the way you finish a season can influence the beginning of the following season....

I'm worried about the philosophy, we start so slow with this build-up from the back; hungrier and more physical teams just pick us apart! Happened a few times last season and it's consistently happening in pre-season...Villas Kryptonite.

37 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Persisting with Rogers up front is telling in a few ways. 

Archer clearly isn't getting much game time. 

Rogers will be starting behind Watkins in one of those forward spots because Emery is desperate to give him minutes out of position clearly for fitness, and giving the others an opportunity to earn their spot alongside him.

It's also telling that we desperately need another forward if our plan without Watkins is Rogers up top as it absolutely doesn't work. 

And its not the answer, either duran fixes up and stops p**sing around or we get another forward in asap! … archer hasn’t convinced me and neither has Philogene in his position.

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Not at all but the result is. Unai and the team will learn plenty. 

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm very impressed with him. After 90 minutes he still has pace to burn. What an asset!

Hes been the best pre season player by far with Onana close behind… he is definitely capable of starting for us in many games

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â