Borussia Dortmund - August 10 16:00

Just now, MaVilla said:

poor by jaden there.

Massive step up from playing Championship to Champions League finalists, in fairness. Emery giving him a fair chance to impress before Bailey comes back in for the serious stuff. 

JJ similarly trying to find his feet 

• Like 1

We've created a few openings this half, and I reckon Watkins puts one of them away. 

Rogers playing further back opens more up for us as well. 

We definitely struggle without Watkins up top. Shame we've not tried Archer and dropped Rogers back a bit.

• Like 1

We do look pretty meh this pre season.

The 11 out dosen't look too bad but the connectivity and understanding isn't as strong as we had 12 months back.

Think it will be a slow start to the season but then last year we did lose convincingly to Newcastle and Liverpool in our first four games. The main thing is to beat the teams we need to e.g. Leicester and Everton.

• Like 2

Just now, briny_ear said:

That's because that is how Villa played all last season and will do so again this season. If you are hoping the defence will start booting the ball up the field at every opportunity, you will be disappointed.

I this case Pau had the ball and was dispossessed. That could have happened even if he was trying to boot it away because he didn't keep control.

Thanks for informing me how Villa play. If you are thinking there are times when our defenders shouldn't just boot it clear, then you are going to be disappointed and wrong. "Every opportunity" makes you sound emotional.

I must admit, I miss Dougie. I know it's early days but those little triangles we play around our box require someone that oozes confidence and is good on the ball - that's what Dougie was for us. We haven't replaced that skillset.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Massive step up from playing Championship to Champions League finalists, in fairness. Emery giving him a fair chance to impress before Bailey comes back in for the serious stuff. 

JJ similarly trying to find his feet 

Bailey will surely be starting at West Ham, Ramsey and JPB will be impact subs in the first few weeks. Can't see it anything else but Bailey and Rogers playing off Olie next weekend.

• Like 1

Persisting with Rogers up front is telling in a few ways. 

Archer clearly isn't getting much game time. 

Rogers will be starting behind Watkins in one of those forward spots because Emery is desperate to give him minutes out of position clearly for fitness, and giving the others an opportunity to earn their spot alongside him.

It's also telling that we desperately need another forward if our plan without Watkins is Rogers up top as it absolutely doesn't work. 

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I still have absolutely no idea what our team is going to be at West Ham. 

Pretty much today's starting 11 but:

- Ramsey and Philogene

+ Watkins and Bailey

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I still have absolutely no idea what our team is going to be at West Ham. 

Whoever starts for us in the closed doors game on Wednesday! 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

mcginns shortcomings are blindingly obvious against this level of opposition.

He's performed well against teams even better than Dortmund 

So I'm not sure about that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Onana doesn't look happy 

Noticed first half him huffing around.

Him and Tielemans should be getting on the ball as much as they can.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â