Borussia Dortmund - August 10 16:00

I don't get why we're not playing at a higher tempo? We okay West Ham a week today. Surely now is the time you get I to playing at the tempo you should to get into that premier league level?! Why so walking tempo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Dortmund are just on a completely different level to us, and their press is insane.

Also, i dont see why people are laying all the blame on Pau, he is our main outlet and he is being given the ball, but nobody is showing for the ball and we are leaving him isolated, then when he does make a pass the pers who receives it, cant keep the ball for more than 2 seconds before lsing it also, or passing it to the opposition.

Because he’s lost the ball in/near the box. Lost it twice, once which led to a goal. Boot it away if you can’t find an outlet. Their press is clearly too strong for him to run out with it like he’s trying.

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

Struggling to take any positives at all from that first half. Bit of a dreadful pre season all round really. We’re still a couple of quality players away from another top 4 push and a reasonable CL campaign  

Hard to digest after selling 100m worth of players, signing an expensive replacement in midfield and a LB who is apparently not ready.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Because he’s lost the ball in/near the box. Lost it twice, once which led to a goal. Boot it away if you can’t find an outlet. Their press is clearly too strong for him to run out with it like he’s trying.

im not saying he isnt partly to blame, or made mistakes, or entirely to blame for some things, but for ppl to just pounce on Pau as being dogsh*t without looking at what else is going on around him, is just very narrow visioned.

• Like 3

Just now, LxYoungAVFC said:

Hard to digest after selling 100m worth of players, signing an expensive replacement in midfield and a LB who is apparently not ready.

i have been a bit surprised to not see maatsen feature more alongside they players we know will be in a starting back 4.

doesnt make sense to spend nearly 40m on a left back if they arent gonna be a starter.

maybe he will be at some point, but just needs more time to settle, anyways, i guess my point is that 37.5m is a lot to spend on a player who doesnt come straight in to the 11, considering where we are as a team.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

well that half was, sh&t

First 10 minutes we looked really slick, then seemed to shrink into ourselves and lost confidence for some reason. Either Youri or Onana need to be giving Pau more options to pass out from the back. McGinn also having a poor game. 

Will be interesting to see how Emery switches things up at halftime. 

• Like 1

I thought we started well enough, comfortable in posession. But then as soon as Emi and Ezri start slowing the play down and draw in the press; we seem to go down to neutral gear for the next 30 minutes and inevitably invite pressure that we cant live with. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Although that second goal had nothing to do with playing out from the back and everything to do with not being strong enough on the ball and concentrating having won it in our own penalty area.

He should have cleared the ball, but has it drilled into his head that he has to keep possession and play out.

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

So overreliant on Torres passing it into midfield. When he's got no option the default is for the 10 (today McGinn) to drop to receive the ball. Who would have thought that good teams like BVB notice this and McGinn has been 2nd to every ball played to him this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From watching the first 30 minutes we look slow predictable and just so pedestrian.

Yea dortmund are better than us but man that was a really bad performance. My early concerns at the sales of some key players and not replacing them thus far is a abit of a worry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, string28 said:

Giving the ball away so much is a bit of a worry.

the press, energy, composure, passing etc Dortmund are showing is elite, they were a champs league finalist last year.

its a tough watch i agree, but im not sure we will come against a better pressing team than these any time soon.

• Like 1

What is the consensus then guys?

Pre season games don't count, it's a time to get the players back up to speed and bed in new systems of play?

Or

We are playing rubbish in all our friendlies, we need a new defence, midfield and a forward, we are going to have a difficult season avoiding relegation - we are doomed?

Mind you it is an historic Villa thing, to finish a season on a high and then follow it with a crap season.

At least it will be easy to get a ST next year! 😉

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i have been a bit surprised to not see maatsen feature more alongside they players we know will be in a starting back 4.

doesnt make sense to spend nearly 40m on a left back if they arent gonna be a starter.

maybe he will be at some point, but just needs more time to settle, anyways, i guess my point is that 37.5m is a lot to spend on a player who doesnt come straight in to the 11, considering where we are as a team.

Also considering we are already stacked at LB provided we don't sell Moreno or Digne.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â