Walsall - July 17 19:30

The three new outfield players did well second half, Nedeljkovic, Barrenechea, and Iling-Junior, nice to see Barry get his goal as worked hard, Kadan Young showed some nice maturity in his play too. I think probably would have been a better attacking performance if we had a Watkins or Duran type that can hold the ball up and bring others into play, which isn't really Barry or Archer's game, they're more second strikers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

All in all a good evening out. Comfortable win and they never really looked like scoring. 

On the new boys: 

Barkley, looked good and quick thinking for the first goal. 

Kosta, quick, athletic and seems bang up for a push to be our starting right back. 

Enzo, for me the best of the new starters. Calm on the ball, nice range of passing and almost scored with a nice shot. 

Iling Jr, I thought he looked a bit lost. But clearly has great pace and ability. Nice assist right at the death. 

Think Iling-Junior would benefit a lot from ollie or even archer/Duran he clearly wanted to play crosses but without a true striker there wasn't a target a lot of the time. 

• Like 1

Rogers looks like he is going to continue his good form from last season. He was class today.

The new lads have the tools to succeed but may need some time. Enzo is a good footballer, Kosta is athletic and comfortable on the ball and I-J is quick and surprisingly good at picking a pass.

Only got to watch the last 25 of the 2nd half. A couple good performances going on, the amount of firm passes that young managed to control and set off an attack with was good. The new argie looked good, Bailey looked a bit rusty aussie keeper looked assured both with hands and feet.

Sounds like first half was a bit more controlled.

My combined Xi based on that performance:

------------------------------Gauci------------------------------

Nedeljkovic------Costa-------Torres---------Digne

------------------Barrenechea----Barkley---------------

Kesler-Hayden-----------------------------Illing-Junior

------------------------Rogers-----------------------------------

-------------------------------Barry------------------------------

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

Rogers looks like he is going to continue his good form from last season. He was class today.

The new lads have the tools to succeed but may need some time. Enzo is a good footballer, Kosta is athletic and comfortable on the ball and I-J is quick and surprisingly good at picking a pass.

I think same with bailey, a lot of these very quick players who like to run in behind without the ball have very good vision because they are seeing the opportunities that they'd have used. It's why diaby and Bailey had good chemistry

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have to say gauci looks x5 better than olsen.  Alot more confident than olsen ia

He looked comfortable need to see more

Olsen nearly dropped a clanger for walsall's corner kick 

7 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Good to get the win feom our first game.

BUT where are Mings and Buendia? Still not fit? Especially Mings is truly needed.

Ramsey as well.

Didn't see the second half lineups and assumed Barry was new a nickname for Barrenechea. 

Such a confusing thread until the last couple of posts.

2 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I know it's only a preseason friendly, but surely that's a yellow card for the late challenge on Young. Completely unnecessary to go in that hard and sent the poor boy flying into the pitch side panels!

That challenge was disgusting, it was right in front of us and you could tell exactly what he was trying to do. Not sure if you noticed after but when play returned to normal, the same Walsall player headed over towards Young as they were jogging back and it looked like the ref had a word with him because he soon turned away again.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nedeljkovic looks good, and he's a big un - passes well.

Barrenechea looks calm and he can hit a ball.

Illing-Junior a little quieter.

Totally agree

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Gauci instantly promoted to No. 2 based on this 

Totally agree again

Moreno, Digne, Rogers, Pau, Nedelikovic, Barrenachea and Gauci the biggest highlights for me.

Young, Barkley, Bailey, Barry, decent but expect better (from tonight, obviously not calling Bailey out after last seasons performances)

I don't like to do this, but Olsen - honestly, we cannot go into this season with him as our number two.

Edited by T-Dog
  • Like 3

A good run out and a chance to see some of our new signings . I thought Barkley looked sharp but Olsen is still a liability and I don't really understand why he is still with us. Also shout out to Adomah as well you can tell he enjoyed the Villa fans chanting his name. Like old times.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A good run out and a chance to see some of our new signings . I thought Barkley looked sharp but Olsen is still a liability and I don't really understand why he is still with us. Also shout out to Adomah as well you can tell he enjoyed the Villa fans chanting his name. Like old times.

Barkley concerned me today. I want him to do well, he did a few bits that I enjoyed, but also a few bits that made me think "oh shit, we've brought Villa's Barkley and not Luton's Barkley" - I get the impression he needs to know who he's working with in the team to get the best out of him. 

I did not see anyone perform badly against Walsall. Some rustiness yes. But overall OK.

Olsen was fine. I think some people project their inner nervousness onto Olsen.

Barkley, made several unfortunate pass attempts. Having said that, I thought he was missed in the first fifteen minutes of the second half.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â