Baseball 2024

10 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

RIP Willie Mays 😢 The greatest Giant ever and arguably the best player ever. One of a kind and a true legend. Will be at the park in 9 days to see Giants/Cubs and as always will pay a visit to his statue. This trip will be sadly different 

IMG_9956.jpeg.27a56852d569dca6dbb197f3761a6fc5.jpeg

The Catch. Iconic photo of the old polo grounds. Farewell to the say hey kid.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Still better than Carl Lewis 🤣

Must have not taken his steroids that day :D 

3 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

That was Ben Johnson 🤣🤣🤣

Miraculously enough, that first pitch isn’t his worst pre-game disaster 😉

It was everyone back in those days. Lewis even failed a couple tests but was allowed to compete anyway, One of those too big to fail guys. The USOC have been very protective of their guys and gals

8 minutes ago, sne said:

It was everyone back in those days. Lewis even failed a couple tests but was allowed to compete anyway, One of those too big to fail guys. The USOC have been very protective of their guys and gals

👍👍 For me he’ll still always be the guy who can’t sing or throw a baseball 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

👍👍 For me he’ll still always be the guy who can’t sing or throw a baseball 😉

And still had this monster hit :D

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Going to a Braves game next week. What do I need to know so I don't sound completely clueless?

Though I haven’t been to this newer Atlanta park, I have been to hundreds of MLB games, with my first being in Atlanta back in 1978. I can certainly help, though might work better if you ask me questions. I wouldn’t know where to start otherwise. 48 hours from now I’ll be heading to park in SF to see afternoon game between Giants/Cubs @choffer

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Though I haven’t been to this newer Atlanta park, I have been to hundreds of MLB games, with my first being in Atlanta back in 1978. I can certainly help, though might work better if you ask me questions. I wouldn’t know where to start otherwise. 48 hours from now I’ll be heading to park in SF to see afternoon game between Giants/Cubs @choffer

First question, are Atlanta better than the Giants? I need to know if I’m going all-in on my chop chop or if I should demur so I can gloat to my Atlantan hosts when they get beat. 

Just now, choffer said:

First question, are Atlanta better than the Giants? I need to know if I’m going all-in on my chop chop or if I should demur so I can gloat to my Atlantan hosts when they get beat. 

Are they playing the Giants? They are definitely better than the Giants this year (and in recent years), though that is a low bar. Please don’t do the chop, to non Braves (non Florida State) fans and most Native Americans it’s pretty offensive. Thing about baseball, on any given day any team can beat another. That is why teams play a series of games, since only one game is pretty random. So even if Braves are a better team than whoever it’s no guarantee of a result on that specific day 

Not sure where you are coming from, but have you been to Atlanta? Will most likely be quite warm and almost certainly will be very humid.

3 hours ago, choffer said:

Going to a Braves game next week. What do I need to know so I don't sound completely clueless?

Are you going on July 4th? If so that should be a fun time for you 😉

11 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Are they playing the Giants? They are definitely better than the Giants this year (and in recent years), though that is a low bar. Please don’t do the chop, to non Braves (non Florida State) fans and most Native Americans it’s pretty offensive. Thing about baseball, on any given day any team can beat another. That is why teams play a series of games, since only one game is pretty random. So even if Braves are a better team than whoever it’s no guarantee of a result on that specific day 

Not sure where you are coming from, but have you been to Atlanta? Will most likely be quite warm and almost certainly will be very humid.

Thanks. I’ve already made my feelings clear on the whole inappropriateness of the name, the logo and the chop. Should have made that clear in my post. I always thought of Atlanta being a bit more progressive than many US cities so I’m surprised they’ve not got with the program(me) yet. 
My OH is from Marietta so this won’t be my first trip. We try to do one sports ting every trip and have done Falcons and ATL United in the past. 
It was hot enough last summer but it does look hotter and humidder (;)) this year. I suspect by the time we get down to Walton County, Fl, I’ll appreciate the sea breeze. 
July 4th, Marietta Parade is a highlight. Shriners, the Antebellum ladies, the sons of the confederacy and a giant roller skate all coming down the street. 

Anyway, this is all a bit off topic. What about that Ken Griffey Jr, eh? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, choffer said:

Thanks. I’ve already made my feelings clear on the whole inappropriateness of the name, the logo and the chop. Should have made that clear in my post. I always thought of Atlanta being a bit more progressive than many US cities so I’m surprised they’ve not got with the program(me) yet. 
My OH is from Marietta so this won’t be my first trip. We try to do one sports ting every trip and have done Falcons and ATL United in the past. 
It was hot enough last summer but it does look hotter and humidder (;)) this year. I suspect by the time we get down to Walton County, Fl, I’ll appreciate the sea breeze. 
July 4th, Marietta Parade is a highlight. Shriners, the Antebellum ladies, the sons of the confederacy and a giant roller skate all coming down the street. 

Anyway, this is all a bit off topic. What about that Ken Griffey Jr, eh? 

I grew up about 3.5 hours from Atlanta, in western NC (Asheville), so Atlanta was the closest city with professional sports. Also saw my first NFL game there, Falcons/Rams in 1974. Saw lots of Grateful Dead shows in Atlanta between 85 & 92. Not really sure where Atlanta ranks in progressive cities, as you mentioned, but they certainly weren’t very progressive or hospitable in their treatment of Deadheads 🤣

Braves are seriously reeling from injuries, two of their best, Acuna Jr and Strider, out with season-ending (both might be out even longer than one season) injuries

Ken Griffey Jr: closest thing to Willie Mays Jr

On 25/06/2024 at 11:50, Nor-Cal Villan said:

First 1-3-5 triple play in 95 years

Of course it's my Tigers 🙄

As posted previously, we went to the Giants game on Thursday. We entered the park via the gate that has a statue of Hall of Fame member/Giants legend Orlando Cepeda. I remarked that he was still alive & kicking

Then he died last night 😢 another gut punch for Giants nation but infinitely worse coming so close on the heels of Willie Mays dying 

• Sad 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â