Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Romano reporting Anderson to Fulham will happen in next few days. That ends Carlos to Fulham which probably ends any interest we've got in Geertruida or Gomez. 

Shame unless there's some late magical Saudi bid for Carlos which is very unlikely I think. As Emery said Carlos is with us now.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Andersen is miles and miles and miles better than Carlos.

He's better but not 'miles and miles and miles better' as you put it otherwise he'd be getting offers from better teams than Palace and Fulham.

• Like 1

Newcastle have a squad size of 35 compared to our 28 according to Transfermarkt (soon to be 27 when Moreno goes off to Forest on loan) yet they are still chasing defenders while we still have to move players like Carlos and Cash on to bring players like Geertruida and Gomez in.

I don't understand the rules.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Newcastle have a squad size of 35 compared to our 28 according to Transfermarkt (soon to be 27 when Moreno goes off to Forest on loan) yet they are still chasing defenders while we still have to move players like Carlos and Cash on to bring players like Geertruida and Gomez in.

They likely don’t give as much of a toss about the squad size as we probably do - also, see Chelsea! No care given there. Ours is definitely more financial. We need to sell players to bring another one in. 

15 minutes ago, Tayls said:

They likely don’t give as much of a toss about the squad size as we probably do - also, see Chelsea! No care given there. Ours is definitely more financial. We need to sell players to bring another one in. 

I sometimes wish we didn’t give a toss like those other teams! In Newcastle’s case, I swear I read they had to sell Gordon or Guimaeres to spend big, seems like that was bull**** or they’ve just become like Chelsea and are flouting the rules. 

56 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Perhaps it is driven by the European requirements for the Wages : Revenues ratio?

We can't carry dead weight whereas Newcastle, who are not in Europe, can afford to do so.

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Perhaps it is driven by the European requirements for the Wages : Revenues ratio?

We can't carry dead weight whereas Newcastle, who are not in Europe, can afford to do so.

Probably right but they’ll have a big problem summer 2025 if they do make Europe this season.

4 minutes ago, Knutserov13 said:

I personally think Andersen is a pretty shit defender. I would rather Carlos than Andersen if I was Fulham. Maybe down to wages though...

or the fee, we need around 12/13m to break even. IF they were offering like £6m then it was not possible. even 8m is a big loss and we're better waiting a year and then selling him when any fee over 6m is good for us

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Probably right but they’ll have a big problem summer 2025 if they do make Europe this season.

Which is not for us to worry about. 

The Premier League are adopting similar rules, on a trial basis, so all Premier League clubs will need to do something about squad size. 

I trust Unai and his team, to keep us on track.

11 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Luiz gave the ball away

I don't know why I rewatched highlights as I knew it was Carlos and it was. Ridiculous lazy pass to centre circle that Fernandes easily intercepted before got anywhere near Luiz

• Thanks 1

We will buy a right back/centre back. If we don’t, it’s pure negligence. 

I also have no issues with Diego staying as 4th choice if we can’t get a deal that works, as long as we sign that additional defender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I sometimes wish we didn’t give a toss like those other teams! In Newcastle’s case, I swear I read they had to sell Gordon or Guimaeres to spend big, seems like that was bull**** or they’ve just become like Chelsea and are flouting the rules. 

Tbf they sold Anderson and Minteh for about £60m (that’s just from memory if my numbers are off!)

59 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Which is not for us to worry about. 

The Premier League are adopting similar rules, on a trial basis, so all Premier League clubs will need to do something about squad size. 

I trust Unai and his team, to keep us on track.

Not worrying about them, just questioning why they can spend big on a defender despite having a ridiculously sized squad while we have to reduce our squad size to below 25 before we can sign anyone. 

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

i don't think its so much the rules its more just how the media reports it and clubs trying to control the narrative

not sure if anyone from villa has matter of factly stated that we cant buy anyone until we sell more players, i thought monchi tip toed around it but didnt state it

all part of the game, newcastle spend the summer chasing a "big" name for a big number because they're portrayed as this mega rich club but in truth they haven't bought anyone yet, they're still in the black for this summer, we're portraying ourselves as broke and trying to work within the rules while we no doubt quietly go about sensible deals rather than a potential fan expectation that we simply splurge with the CL

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Tbf they sold Anderson and Minteh for about £60m (that’s just from memory if my numbers are off!)

They have but we’ve brought in well over £100m through sales. We’ve spent more than Newcastle but our net spend is probably only £10m and we’ve a smaller squad.

It will feel very odd if we bring in no one else in given:

• Romano implying we would be active after selling Diaby and no one else has come in since (Romano may have been talking **** of course)
  • Monchi saying on Talksport that we are actively still trying to strengthen and would do so until the end of the transfer window 

But nothing seems to be moving regarding incomings, seems to only be outgoings. We are ‘very interested’ in Geertruida but seemingly can’t make a firm offer for him because certain players can’t be moved on.

17 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Not worrying about them, just questioning why they can spend big on a defender despite having a ridiculously sized squad while we have to reduce our squad size to below 25 before we can sign anyone. 

Because we got into the champions league.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Romano reporting Anderson to Fulham will happen in next few days. That ends Carlos to Fulham which probably ends any interest we've got in Geertruida or Gomez. 

Shame unless there's some late magical Saudi bid for Carlos which is very unlikely I think. As Emery said Carlos is with us now.

We signed Kane Taylor without much fanfare. With Moreno going there’s still room in the squad to register more. We aren’t done. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â