Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

39 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Andy Gray says Emery is thinking about enquiring about Toney.

He spouts bs constantly. Why would we want 3 Strikers. Just nonsense, 40/50 mil price tag too.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Found this interesting.

Not really transfer related but it’s spot on. Even on MOTD, the highlights made it seem like West Ham were in the game when in reality, we should have been out of sight at half time. 

I fully agree, pundits rarely put any research in to Villa. All last season it was the same buzz lines about Emery is the game changer, as true as that is, they never really backed it up with anything. Same whenever talking about our players. “ollie is so important to Villa” that’s about it. Nothing about Konsa, Doug/Kamara, Bailey.. just ollie. 

and this season, Villa not featured in most people’s top 4 lists. But no reason why. It’s like they believe we flunked it last season and we ain’t doing it again. 

as far as doing the PL and CL.. we did it last season, with the conference, with 3 key players injured too. Now we’ve got a bigger stronger squad, we somehow not going to cope. How? Pundits are meant to be the experts, they should know this stuff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

We accumulated 49 points in 25 games at 1.96 ppg during that period. Buendia played in every match for an average of 74 minutes.

"Barely able to make the squad" and "we weren't very good" are two complete and utter fictions.

How many goals and assists did he get? 

Edited by Philosopher

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

How many goals and assists did he get? 

What relevance is that? [the answer is 4 goals and 2 assists]

I wasn't trying to get into the discussion of Buendia's form in that time; the points made were:

1. he was barely making the squad at the time, despite appearing in all of 25 matches under Emery (and ,in fact, every game that season) for an average playing time of 74 minutes
  2. so then we weren't very good during that period, despite picking up 49 points in 25 matches.

This was in discussion about him getting back to his best, or indeed improving beyond that under Emery like most of our squad did dramatically last season, so that we perhaps don't actually need to buy a new number 10. And I think I'd be happy with that, if Duran is staying.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe in your mind. Delphinho operates on a different plain mentally to most of you lot. 

I don't doubt that for one second....

12 minutes ago, allani said:

Slightly off topic here - but being based in Italy now for coming up for 10 years and not only do their commentators and pundits know a lot more about every player and every team in Serie A than their British counterparts - but they know more about every player and team in the PL too.  The really do seem to do their homework and know where our young players have been out on loan (and how the did generally), how long they've been at the club and also how they fit into Emery's system.  They sometimes struggle with pronounciation (although Tim leaving means that becomes an issue for Everton rather than us). 

As a case in point (and bringing it back on topic) I was struck by how they talked about how and why Onana was likely to be an important player for us, the attributes he brings, the areas where Emery will be looking for him to improve, etc - and then on MotD we get "So you must be looking forward to playing in the top half rather than near the bottom?" as the level of insight and expert punditry.

i guess thats what you get when you employ pundits based on being famous or box ticking (Lineker, Shearer, Wright, Scott, keane, Redknapp, Ferdinand, Hart, White, Micah Richards, keown, that dude who hates Villa - cant remember his name, Gray, Rooney, Carragher, Jenas, Neville, Onuoha, Brown-Finnis etc etc), rather than actual competency and knowledge of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kilman went for 40m. Decent player and probably better than Gomez but 20m better ?

Kilman better than Gomez? Nah, not having that mate! :) 

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I fully agree, pundits rarely put any research in to Villa. All last season it was the same buzz lines about Emery is the game changer, as true as that is, they never really backed it up with anything. Same whenever talking about our players. “ollie is so important to Villa” that’s about it. Nothing about Konsa, Doug/Kamara, Bailey.. just ollie. 

and this season, Villa not featured in most people’s top 4 lists. But no reason why. It’s like they believe we flunked it last season and we ain’t doing it again. 

as far as doing the PL and CL.. we did it last season, with the conference, with 3 key players injured too. Now we’ve got a bigger stronger squad, we somehow not going to cope. How? Pundits are meant to be the experts, they should know this stuff. 

Other managers will understand the threat we pose. Pep was massively talking us up last season. 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He spouts bs constantly. Why would we want 3 Strikers. Just nonsense, 40/50 mil price tag too.

Agree he chats **** and don't see us going for Toney but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we get a striker. I for one would prefer another striker to a SS/#10 as I think this chat has shown, we have options for that spot (whether Delph and others rate them or not).

Currently we have Ollie and a chaotic Duran. Whilst both are great, if Ollie gets injured, I'm not sure we want to rely on Duran week in and week out with maybe putting Rogers up there as our only alternative.  IMO having a viable 3rd option would be sensible given the number of games we hope to have.

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

There are several reasons for that. People usually look at current movements (such as West Ham) and just say it’s a success. Yet after failing to win, they come and laugh and think it’s a failure. 
We didn’t have really a fancy names (which is usually better), people think that Diaby is a proper starter (and we lost our most valuable player), that’s after they saw us losing Luiz. Then they remember our drop at the end of the season (and our bad results against Olympiakos). To just assume we regressed without factoring the Kamara injury which is important for our tactics and play. 
Add to that the feeling they (and some of our fans) have about us getting not needed players from Juve and being robbed there. Then the deal for Dobbin (which gives the vibes that we were robbed for Maatsen). 
All of those points added to Onana not being a starter at Everton, and the myth that he’s not that good and just physical. 
Then you’ve got the preseason. 
People don’t go into details like (Maatsen is the perfect LB for Emery tactics). Or Onana is the missing piece here (while not suite Everton). Diaby isn’t the right player for our tactics and won’t be a starter. Ramsey getting back and playing with a LB as Maatsen is similar to the form the other year with Moreno. The squad depth with Jaden has been better (with better financial value).

With Emery, every detail needs to be discussed, a general view won’t give anyone the right outcome and I don’t blame them. Even if we got Felix, it wasn’t because of marquee signing or fanciy name, but how would he add to our tactics and fits there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Kilman better than Gomez? Nah, not having that mate! :) 

I really rate Kilman but fair enough he's maybe not better Gomez. But if the former cost 40m than surely 30m is decent value for the latter ?

11 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Other managers will understand the threat we pose. Pep was massively talking us up last season. 

Probably try and buy our better players in January then,  just like they did when we were last a threat to them.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â