Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I get that but only Cash would bring in  profit out of the players listed so surely as long as we break even minimum on Carlos, Digne The Donk then we’d still be better off financially surely as there’s no book profit likely in selling any of those but we are rid of the amortised costs for them and crucially wages. 

Profit isn't really that relevant in relation to the players. What the club are trying to do is replace a player who has a high total annual cost (wages+amortisation) and replace them with someone who costs less while trying to improve the squad at the same time.

Take Carlos he costs £12m per season. We sell him for zero profit or loss and replace him with Geertruida who costs us £9m per season (and will have a sell on value in future). That's reducing the squad cost and improving the squad. 

It's very complicated because you have all these situations where it's like buying a house on a chain. You need your house sold to buy your new home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really? He's up in the 'not interested in a discussion' level of Martinez and Watkins for me.

I would also put him in that category but I suspect there would be a big bid that we couldn't ignore and he would definitely want to take. 

Liverpool were starting to get linked and he's the kind of player they would definitely want. I could imagine they'd already begun the deal when he did his ACL.

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our best route to success next summer is a training ground sponsor, new sponsors for the stadium, new partnerships, better sleeve sponsors, anything we can do to put an extra £80-100m on our revenues.

Only way we get those kind of figures is if we get Champions league again. 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We have the best setup we have ever had imo, inc the best owners. Only thing holding us back are the rules and restrictions. Aswell as the corruption and favourable conditions for other clubs.

Feels like we don’t really care and just go about our business regardless, working as hard as possible. Do things the right way and just keep improving and progressing.

Unai is the most important factor.

Oh we care.  But NS has a strategy in mind.  Maybe it's because it's coming from people at Villa but I get a sense that there's a few people asking how it is possible / fair that a clearly run-well club like ours is having to sell players having just achieved something incredible by qualifying for the CL.  This is all being conducted brilliantly by NS.  (See my much longer response in the Villa FFP thread.)  These messages are not accidental.

• Like 2

Wondered where he’s been all preseason, off you go lad and good luck. Needs more game time and development, last loan did not go well. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I suspect Kamara was expected to be sold until his injury, and I imagine everyone involved knew it.

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Really? He's up in the 'not interested in a discussion' level of Martinez and Watkins for me.

Same. Kamara is as important to us as those imo. Him being him allowed Pau, Dougie and McGinn to do their thing last season. Having him there levelled up everybody around him

In the way the season before you could see the confidence seep out of the team when Olsen was in goal, you could see the confidence and balance  it instilled to have Kamara in midfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If he gets frustrated at not being able to compete because of the glass ceiling in place he may not be here as long as we like though.

This was all carefully orchestrated by the club 100%.  Nas, Monchi, Emery, Damien and Heck are all singing the same song.  Part of it is directed to us - to reassure the fans that we're doing everything we can.  But this is a very clear message intended for a very specific audience highlighting that PSR isn't doing what it says it is doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Same. Kamara is as important to us as those imo. Him being him allowed Pau, Dougie and McGinn to do their thing last season. Having him there levelled up everybody around him

In the way the season before you could see the confidence seep out of the team when Olsen was in goal, you could see the confidence and balance  it instilled to have Kamara in midfield.

agreed, respect others may feel differently, but I'd have sold Luiz over Kamara 10 times out of 10.

Probably already been covered but why is PSR all of a sudden a thing. Feels like we are spending less each season but constantly need to sell players to comply. Also when do the actual rules change and will this impact us more or less going forward. Never really looked into it but seems like we have a few experts on here who might know. 

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Probably already been covered but why is PSR all of a sudden a thing. Feels like we are spending less each season but constantly need to sell players to comply. Also when do the actual rules change and will this impact us more or less going forward. Never really looked into it but seems like we have a few experts on here who might know. 

Partly because we're in Europe so have to comply with UEFA rules now, which are different to FA rules

Partly because we (and all clubs) had some leeway during the Covid Years which we no longer have (though less leeway than United had!)

Partly because Grealish sale is off the books now and so we had to generate some more profit

Partly because the football gods don't want us to have nice things

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'd probably cut the squad up as below.

With a number of the 4th Tier likely to become Key/Crucial players over the next year. If Rogers/Bailey perform like last year again, they probably move into the Konsa/McGinn tier too

With anybody in the 5th-7th Tiers I'd be happy to move on over the next 2 Years, Caveat'ing the younger players that hopefully we find a Gem or 2 in there that saves us a lot of money, but I expect many of that group will be gone by 2026/27

Untouchable  

• Martinez,
  • Kamara,
  • Watkins 

Crucial

• Konsa
  • McGinn

Key Players

• Rogers
  • Bailey

Something to Prove (Stepping Up, New players & Injuries. Could easily be Key Players)

• Tielemans
  • Onana
  • Maatsen
  • JJ
  • Buendia
  • Mings
  • Duran

Squad, valuable but replaceable

• Digne
  • Carlos
  • Moreno
  • Cash
  • Barkley

Younger Players - Prove they can step up

• Kosta
  • Philogene
  • Barrenechea
  • Iling-Junior
  • Archer
  • Bogarde
  • Gauci

Immediately Sellable or Replaceable

• Olsen
  • Dendoncker
  • Hause

I agree with this tier list. There isn’t anything I change.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Completely agree @TrentVilla. Coutinho (permanent) and Dendoncker in particular made no sense.

I like Carlos though, it'll go down as a mark against Gerrard /Lange, but I really thought we had a player there and he's proven it in some of the games last season. Just not consistent enough, I do wonder what we'd have had were it not for his injury and us getting effectively a 31yo adapting to the league coming off a bad injury.

But hey ho. A very expensive mistake, Lange & Purslow paid for with their roles though. Our new system has to avoid similar mistakes (and I agree on Gomez and Lo Celso)

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

With a number of the 4th Tier likely to become Key/Crucial players over the next year. If Rogers/Bailey perform like last year again, they probably move into the Konsa/McGinn tier too

With anybody in the 5th-7th Tiers I'd be happy to move on over the next 2 Years, Caveat'ing the younger players that hopefully we find a Gem or 2 in there that saves us a lot of money, but I expect many of that group will be gone by 2026/27

Untouchable  

• Martinez,
  • Kamara,
  • Watkins 

Crucial

• Konsa
  • McGinn

Key Players

• Rogers
  • Bailey
  • Pau

Something to Prove (Stepping Up, New players & Injuries. Could easily be Key Players)

• Tielemans
  • Onana
  • Maatsen
  • JJ
  • Buendia
  • Mings
  • Duran

• Digne
  • Carlos
  • Moreno
  • Cash
  • Barkley

• Kosta
  • Philogene
  • Barrenechea
  • Iling-Junior
  • Archer
  • Bogarde
  • Gauci

• Olsen
  • Dendoncker
  • Hause

Note.

I don't think JJ has anything to prove aside from staying injury free 

16 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Untouchable  

• Martinez,
  • Kamara,
  • Watkins 

Crucial

• Konsa
  • McGinn

Key Players

• Rogers
  • Bailey
  • Pau

• Tielemans
  • Onana
  • Maatsen
  • JJ
  • Buendia
  • Mings
  • Duran

• Digne
  • Carlos
  • Moreno
  • Cash
  • Barkley

• Kosta
  • Philogene
  • Barrenechea
  • Iling-Junior
  • Archer
  • Bogarde
  • Gauci

• Olsen
  • Dendoncker
  • Hause

i dont think any of our players are untouchable, if a huge bid came in for a player, and its considered a superb deal that would suit Emery, i have no doubt we would sell any of our players, and reinvest the money.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Note.

I don't think JJ has anything to prove aside from staying injury free 

That's kind of it though, but I agree I struggled with him a bit.

He's had a couple false dawns and Rogers has come in and done everything he does. If we buy somebody to replace Diaby, JJ could find himself outright fighting for his spot with Rogers in some games/Formations and if I had to choose right now, it'd be Rogers. In that sense I couldn't put JJ in "key players" when I'm not sure he'd make my XI

However, If JJ comes back and proves he can play as he did pre-injury and be consistent, then he's absolutely a key player and probably pushes Rogers into the Diaby/10/SS role because you can't leave either out.

So I went with something to prove as he's too good for the tier below, but probably held out of the tier above until he shows it again

Edited by HalfTimePost

32 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Wondered where he’s been all preseason, off you go lad and good luck. Needs more game time and development, last loan did not go well. 

League 1, well that's not good. Dropping down from Championship for his next Loan 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

League 1, well that's not good. Dropping down from Championship for his next Loan 

Most important is that he plays regularly.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â