Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

7 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We have have 4 fit CBs right now. Torres, Konsa, Carlos, Bogarde. 

Is it ideal, no. Will it suffice until Mings is back, yes. 

Also Bogarde has had a great preseason, he’s earned his spot. 

I just can't get with classifying Bogarde as a CB based on 1 preseason match. He played 14 league one matches for Bristol Rovers last season, and as others have said, never played a senior match at CB. He has looked promising for sure, but a Premier League team who is playing in the Champions League this year having him as a 3rd/4th CB to me is close to lunacy. 

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Mings is fit, and he comes back strong and he's back in the first team around the start of December - he'll be three months from 32 and have 15 months left on his contract.

Mings kinda needs replacing regardless - I know that feels horrible, but it is what it is.

This is also very true. As much as we all want Mings to return to his best (which he can), he has had similar injuries in the past and are we going to be wanting to hand out an extension to him when he is getting older?

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

I wonder if we’re one of the teams in for Southamptons Carlos Alcaraz - fits the profile and did well at Juve by all accounts - versatile, young with a high ceiling  

I'd love that shout. Seems a good young player. Not sure he's what we need this window, however.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It wasn’t targetted (solely) at you. Tbf to you, you at least describe and explain your points but the doubt or panic is quite relentless tbh mate and that’s probably what’s annoying a few.

I’m talking about much of the fanbase since the season ended (even before it did, a lot of crying and fretting and major doubt over whether we would even get 4th).

I’m not asking for everyone to be 100% happy and positive or not to question anything at all but…

We’ve just completed the best season of modern times for this club (an incredible rise and achievement) and qualified for CL for the first time ever! We have one of the very best managers around and many excellent players. Wonderful owners who have overseen our rise and progress.

Our transfer business is not over…

But… there has been so much bitching, moaning, complaining, panic etc everywhere (I never refer solely to VT when I say “online”) and it has shocked me… I’m taken aback at the scale of it.

I expected a lot of excitement and enthusiasm in the main… the good times are well and truly back.

Onto you, to say that it will be a “forgettable season” is a really poor choice of words at least… we are going to be playing Champions  League football for the first time, it’s going to be absolutely amazing and wonderful. And we do actually have a great set of players that will be competitive.

I cannot get my head around the level of negativity… I sort of had a fear of the raised expectations (due to Unai’s incredible work and achievements) bringing out an uglier side of the fanbase… it’s happened sooner than expected from my pov.

Ok fair enough, I sort of agree the wording wasn’t great. I was referring to the league, playing our first CL game at VP in 40 years will of course be memorable. I just want us to be competitive and to help Unai by giving him the team/squad he needs.

I think much of the negativity/disappointment stems from the fact that we’ve lost quality and so far not replaced it and still not really strengthened the defence and going into a CL campaign like this is a concern.

I can understand why it frustrates you though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Fulham have spent 33 million this summer and are 9 million in profit

We have spent more money on two separate players than Fulham have spent this window

We’ve also brought in a load of money of course.

28 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

How much can we spend without any more outgoings and stay PSR compliant?

This is exactly what I think some people might not understand... Do we want to have the same problems June next year or the year after etc.

I think the club is positioning us for the long term, this coming season may not be the season we all want, but I have faith in the manager so believe anything is possible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

How much can we spend without any more outgoings and stay PSR compliant?

Probably need to shift players so Carlos out, Geertruida in, Duran out, someone else in. Feels like we’ve missed the boat with Duran though after rejecting £32m offer and Fulham seem to have lost interest in Carlos and going for Anderson.

28 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Probably need to shift players so Carlos out, Geertruida in, Duran out, someone else in. Feels like we’ve missed the boat with Duran though after rejecting £32m offer and Fulham seem to have lost interest in Carlos and going for Anderson.

Yeah feels like Carlos and Duran staying, Archer too. So will be maybe one attacking player coming in within our budget. We have a lot of work to do for PSR before June. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, romavillan said:

You're right there, it takes a special kind of word removed to write for the mail.

haha. I know what you're saying. But I'm telling you Collomosse isn't like that at all. We're lucky to have him. One of the best Villa writers. Nothing to do with the opinion and news writing in the DM. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anything11 said:

Too many pissy pants around here crying about 5/10 window.

Shows a complete lack of mentality and the antithesis of what the club is trying to foster. 

I would like Duran and Carlos to move on so we are able to fill out the squad some more. But if not I hope Duran comes on and scores a bicycle kick last minute winner against some mid table tosh and Carlos has Arsenal in his pocket again home and away. 

Completely agree, entitled piss ants stomping their feet and tantruming they didn’t get the toy they wanted

• Confused 1

My main interest is now focussed on which of our players leave and how they leave, whether it be by means of sales or loans.

If we have a successful last couple weeks of the transfer window in moving out fringe players on over generous wages then that would be excellent financial planning for our next couple of transfer windows.

I hope that we can complete a satisfactory "Geertruida" signing, and "Chalobah" would appear to be a sensible addition also, as he is now frozen out at Chelsea and is a decent CB in my opinion. These two players would conclude a very satisfying transfer window as long as we can shift some players who are now surplus to requirements.

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

We have signed a good left back
A right back very few of us have seen play
We haven't signed a centre back for the right side of defence that compliments Pau by being dominant in the air, aggressive and quick
We have sold Doug and not replaced him - Some argue we will have a different kind of midfield this year, fair enough but IMO its worse.
Got rid of a class player in Diaby which I understand was the right decision but JPB is not as good.

Pointing that out doesn't mean people are crying, it means they aren't blind.

Yes we have.

Why do you think its important that you as a fan need to see them play? You don't work for AVFC and it isn't your job

Who said we need these attributes? Do you understand Emerys requirements for the position? (Personally i would feel more comfortable with one but I don't manage the team)

Dougie was incredible for the first half of last season there is no doubt - outside of that especially the end of the season he was not performing at that level. We have improved our squad depth especially in the midfield. We won very important games last season with McGinn and Tielemans. We have improved on this with better players behind them.

A ball has not been kicked - we don't know if JPB will perform better or worse than Diaby. Indications are that Rogers or someone else will fill the 10 role anyhow.

People are crying and throwing the coming season in the bin the week before it has started. Last year we lost Buendia/Mings this week and got tonked by Newcastle. I am not blind I just have some perspective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

My main interest is now focussed on which of our players leave and how they leave, whether it be by means of sales or loans.

If we have a successful last couple weeks of the transfer window in moving out fringe players on over generous wages then that would be excellent financial planning for our next couple of transfer windows.

I hope that we can complete a satisfactory "Geertruida" signing, and "Chalobah" would appear to be a sensible addition also, as he is now frozen out at Chelsea and is a decent CB in my opinion. These two players would conclude a very satisfying transfer window as long as we can shift some players who are now surplus to requirements.

I can’t see us signing two new central defenders. 

It will be one in one out for the rest of the window. Seeing as we are not really known for last minute deals we may actually be done with our business. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I can’t see us signing two new central defenders. 

It will be one in one out for the rest of the window. Seeing as we are not really known for last minute deals we may actually be done with our business. 

I'm not thinking of Geertruida and Chalobah as two CB's. I'm thinking of Geertruida as a very versatile defender/DCM because it looks as though he is well suited to both jobs. Chalobah would be our main CB cover/rotation if he joined us in my opinion.

These two would also offer some much needed aerial improvement from what I've seen of them. Defending set pieces has been a goal leaking weakness that we need to address.

23 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Chalobah would be our main CB cover/rotation if he joined us in my opinion.

I don't rate Carlos but Chalobah is worse. I don't want us to sign crap cover for sake of it

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Last time I checked this was supposed to be a discussion forum. For some reason, every time a poster says something slightly negative or raises a concern, insults start flying. It’s really weird. It’s a fan forum, not a cheerleading group. It’s exactly the right environment for a fan to say “I’m worried about … or I wish the club was doing… or the preseason hasn’t been great to watch”. People can have differing views without the name calling, it doesn’t have to be some echo chamber.

Nobody is crying, no beds are wet, people are still looking forward to the season ahead and grateful for how much we’ve improved.

When they litter every page with the same, monotonous negativity you could argue there is a reason people get really, really, really bored!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Last time I checked this was supposed to be a discussion forum. For some reason, every time a poster says something slightly negative or raises a concern, insults start flying. It’s really weird. It’s a fan forum, not a cheerleading group. It’s exactly the right environment for a fan to say “I’m worried about … or I wish the club was doing… or the preseason hasn’t been great to watch”. People can have differing views without the name calling, it doesn’t have to be some echo chamber.

Nobody is crying, no beds are wet, people are still looking forward to the season ahead and grateful for how much we’ve improved.

There’s plenty of discussions, there’s also a strain of toxic negativity online too. Less so on here, but certainly on Twitter. I’ve said before, but I won’t give any rating until the window closes. I think scores like five are way too low right now. And we do need to bring in names, and there’s still time to do so. It’s not about trying to censor people. But hyping up other clubs and acting like we’ve not been making moves is simply not true. I just don’t get the negativity some give out. Nor would I want toxic positivity either. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I think we have been too Conservative in shifting the deadwood. Deadwood is deadwood. You need to get the wages off the books and free up squad places for the newcomers. 

Obviously we Don't know the inds and outs but we seem to have played hardball on Duran and Carlos in particular. Like many others I would rather they were gone and replaced by two new players.

It's not our choice. We can only shift deadwood if another team wants to have them. There is a reason why we don't want them, so it's unsurprising that not many other clubs do either.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â