Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We still have Carlos, and Mings to come back. We still have Duran 

our depth is fine for both strikers and CBs

If we want more in, we got to sell Carlos and Duran 

Don't agree that depth is fine at CB. Mings won't be returning for quite a while, it'd be an extremely risky game to hope we could get by going into a grueling opening few months of the season with only three fit senior CBs, especially when it's not like a some of them haven't been without injury issues themselves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, macandally said:

Do you not get that the drop off was due to the lack of depth in our squad?  It wasn’t loss of form, it was tiredness.

We have addressed that, plus taken steps to remove the porous nature of our midfield against an aggressive press.

Its not about poster boys, its a team sport

I do get that but I feel we’ve sacrificed a bit of quality to do that. I also second what @OutByEaster? says that we’ve added probably too many players in some positions and not enough in others. Four/five left sided midfielders for one position? Three left backs for one position? Only one right sided midfielder? (Yes I know Philogene can play there but his best position is on the left, just like Ramsey, Rogers, Iling Jr and Buendia). And only three fit senior centre backs for 2 positions and one of them (Carlos) is likely off. 

Regardless of whether the quality of our depth is good enough, there is very clearly a problem with the balance of the squad at the moment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

We still have Carlos, and mings to come back. And We still have Duran 

our depth is fine for both strikers and CBs

If we want more in, we got to sell Carlos and Duran 

Even with Carlos and Mings - one injury does still give us plenty of cause for concern - I'm not sure Carlos is consistent enough.  And Mings is unlikely to be able to play for 90 minutes twice a week for a while.  But a late loan deal would certainly help with that and would likely be something that we could agree pretty quickly.  So if Konsa did get injured against West Ham then I'm sure we'd have no issues getting a decent player in on loan before the Arsenal match.  But there is no way we sell Carlos without signing someone almost immediately afterwards.

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Don't agree that depth is fine at CB. Mings won't be returning for quite a while, it'd be an extremely risky game to hope we could get by going into a grueling opening few months of the season with only three fit senior CBs, especially when it's not like a some of them haven't been without injury issues themselves.

It be stupid to buy an other CB because Mings is out a few months. 

the only way we buying players, if we selling them first. Duran for an other attacker and Carlos/Cash/Moreno for an other defender 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

12 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I don't really think we've improved being able to deal with an aggressive press because we've lost Luiz and not yet upgraded on either Cash/Carlos (unless Kosta is going to immediately be starting which will have question marks in itself), which is an area of the side where we struggle to deal with a press from.

A big issue was defending set-pieces, and I think that one has gone some way to being addressed with Onana coming in and also Rogers becoming a more permanent fixture of the side, and might be further aided by another signing or two. That does lend itself to some uneasiness though, as it's a bit weird that despite all the business that's been done it feels like there's still quite a bit up in the air with the squad. 

I see what you did there!!!  🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

the only way we buying players, if we selling them first. Duran for an other attacker and Carlos/Cash/Moreno for an other defender 

I was only addressing the CB position and the depth of it, not saying anything to the contrary of what's in bold. That is the reality of how bulky the squad is numbers-wise.

Still disagree. We don't have to buy one, loan one then. Sign one on a free. Teams generally do not go into a season with so few fit players in a position like centre back for a reason, because ironically it would be stupid to do that. Without checking I'd be surprised if there was a single other side in the league doing so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I do get that but I feel we’ve sacrificed a bit of quality to do that. I also second what @OutByEaster? says that we’ve added probably too many players in some positions and not enough in others. Four/five left sided midfielders for one position? Three left backs for one position? Only one right sided midfielder? (Yes I know Philogene can play there but his best position is on the left, just like Ramsey, Rogers, Iling Jr and Buendia). And only three fit senior centre backs for 2 positions and one of them (Carlos) is likely off. 

Regardless of whether the quality of our depth is good enough, there is very clearly a problem with the balance of the squad at the moment. 

Just remember that Sherwood isn't still in charge.  I'm sure that Emery / Monchi aren't just going through a list of available players and saying "yep sign him", "don't sign him", "yeah we'll take him" without thinking about how it all fits into their grand design.  That's not their m.o.

20 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

This guy seems to be well connected in Colombia. He’s the origin of the Duran #9 story which is yet to be confirmed.

Got to imagine that Duran hasn’t painted us in the best of light given how he feels he has been mistreated… 

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I was only addressing the CB position and the depth of it, not saying anything to the contrary of what's in bold. That is the reality of how bulky the squad is numbers-wise.

Still disagree. We don't have to buy one, loan one then. Sign one on a free. Teams generally do not go into a season with so few fit players in a position like centre back for a reason, because ironically it would be stupid to do that. Without checking I'd be surprised if there was a single other side in the league doing so.

We have have 4 fit CBs right now. Torres, Konsa, Carlos, Bogarde. 

Is it ideal, no. Will it suffice until Mings is back, yes. 

Also Bogarde has had a great preseason, he’s earned his spot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

But I think we can complete and sign a loan pretty quickly - so I don't think it is imperative to loan someone now.  Even if we suffer an injury or suspension it's still unlikely that they'd need to play for a few weeks so there's still time to bring them in an acclimatise.  Especially if said player already spent the best part of 9 or 10 months at the club last season.

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

He’s been great from what I’ve seen. If we were buying him for £15m for Twente, people would be over the moon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If Mings is fit, and he comes back strong and he's back in the first team around the start of December - he'll be three months from 32 and have 15 months left on his contract.

Mings kinda needs replacing regardless - I know that feels horrible, but it is what it is.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Bogarde is primarily a DM that has never played a competitive game for a senior team at CB. The fact that he's being listed shows that it's a position that is light on numbers going into a season with Champions League football.

4 minutes ago, allani said:

But I think we can complete and sign a loan pretty quickly - so I don't think it is imperative to loan someone now.  Even if we suffer an injury or suspension it's still unlikely that they'd need to play for a few weeks so there's still time to bring them in an acclimatise.  Especially if said player already spent the best part of 9 or 10 months at the club last season.

I agree and I'm not suggesting it's some kind of crisis or anything like we need to buy a CB ASAP, just don't agree with the assertion that it's a position with particularly strong depth at this current point is all. For instance even someone like Geertruida who whilst primarily playing in a different position can at least cover CB would be alright because at least offers a bit more security.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

If Mings is fit, and he comes back strong and he's back in the first team around the start of December - he'll be three months from 32 and have 15 months left on his contract.

Mings kinda needs replacing regardless - I know that feels horrible, but it is what it is.

Yes but next summer (or the one after) it becomes much easier to "sell" the role that Mings fills in our squad to a player rather than saying - you'll be back up for 6 months, then second back up for 12 months and then backup again.  I think we're more likely to loan someone for now and then look to buy later.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â