Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

Who would we have moved on? I feel like if we sell Carlos and bring in Gerrtruida, we are leaving ourselves massively short at CB. I’m against the grain with Lo Celso on here. I think he’d fit really well in our squad and Unai’s signed him 3 times already iirc.  

probably a 5

Geertruida is a CB as well as a RB.

Imagine it we able to sell for actual money, and not loans:

Cash

Carlos

Duran

Donk

Moreno

We would be able to bring in 2 or 3 forst team players probably. Sadly I can only see max 2 of the above being sold. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Geertruida is a CB as well as a RB.

Would we be buying him to start at RB or depth at CB. If it’s the former, I don’t think relying on our (hypothetical) starting RB as depth at CB is sustainable. I feel we need another out and out CB if Carlos goes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Would we be buying him to start at RB or depth at CB. If it’s the former, I don’t think relying on our (hypothetical) starting RB as depth at CB is sustainable. I feel we need another out and out CB if Carlos goes

spacer.png

We’d have a player that can play at RB if we need a defensive RB, or at CB if Konsa is injured/suspended. He’s not a traditional full back like Cash or Digne. He’s a hybrid CB/RB.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Did we? And you know this how?

My guess is Diaby didnt want to me 2nd choice to Bailey, and since he didn’t fit our system we sold because of the money involved.

Because we only had him for one season and he started more games than Bailey last season so this idea that Bailey was first choice is fanciful.

I very much doubt if Diaby wasn’t for sale we would have sold him. There was no indication he was unhappy and he had 4 years on his contract. Of course he would have been attracted to the Saudi money but he could have gone over there in 2 or 3 years, he’s still very young. But I’m speculating just like you are by suggesting he wanted to go.

40 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Possibly, I think Unai would probably have backed himself to get more out of Diaby than he did last season though, so I don't think we were actively looking for a sale, but the money and the temptation not to be scrambling around again for a sale next summer was just too good

That’s my reading of it, hence why we negotiated for a better deal instead of just trying to sell him on the sly. Not ideal but solves a potential problem down the road. Unai is like a father figure and I’m sure Moussa would have told him that he wanted the move. 

1 hour ago, allani said:

I posted a lot about the influence that Luiz had last season (passes, touches, etc, etc) so I'm not suggesting he isn't a big loss and agree the "blip" was partly down to him playing too much and also to him having to play in a different role with Kamara out and our midfield generally then becoming very unbalanced (just as much an issue with Tielemans, McGinn, etc as it was with Dougie).  But I do think the loss there is counterbalanced by improvements elsewhere (Onana is a different type of CM but gives us more balance, Maatsen improves us at LB, Geert will be a much better RB (which I think - along with Onana's height - will make us less suspect defensively), a think any of the attacking players you mentioned (except Grealish) start more than Diaby would.  I mean not all those transfers are done - but the assumption in this discussion is that they would be.

Anyway, I think you've articulated your reasons pretty clearly and so 👍 for indulging me.  You're still nuts for suggesting that we beat Fulham by dumping £35m on Anderson though. 😉

No I’m not as doom and gloom as you think. I was impressed by the Maatsen and Onana deals. I also think Barkley adds depth and I’m hopeful (although not totally confident) the young players can step up. I just feel a bit depressed that there are still a couple of positions in the starting 11 that need upgrading with proven quality and we can’t do anything until we sell players it seems. I’m also gutted about selling Luiz and to a lesser extent Diaby.

Or maybe I’m just super hard to please like you say 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I obviously rate Luiz higher than many other posters on here, I think we'll miss him. Never injured and definitely for me one of our best players under Unai for sure and I don't care about that blip at the end of last season, everyone's form suffered even Ollie's. But yes it is good that we haven't sold others, particularly Emi and Ollie. As I said it's not us I'm blaming as such, it's the rules that are clearly not beneficial to clubs like us trying to break into the top 6. 

I do think we had a choice about selling Diaby though and I didn't agree with it, maybe he wasn't starting at the end of last season but he'd be thefirst player off the bench and he could change a game in our favour. Champions League teams need quality players off the bench. Depends on who we get to replace him before the window closes. 

Do you not get that the drop off was due to the lack of depth in our squad?  It wasn’t loss of form, it was tiredness.

We have addressed that, plus taken steps to remove the porous nature of our midfield against an aggressive press.

Its not about poster boys, its a team sport

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’d have a player that can play at RB if we need a defensive RB, or at CB if Konsa is injured/suspended. He’s not a traditional full back like Cash or Digne. He’s a hybrid CB/RB.

Yep, that would give us two of those with Konsa as well, and RB cover in Cash and Nedeljkovic - in terms of right back depth (and quality) it would be excellent.

Our problem becomes that, unless we keep Carlos, which seems unlikely if Torres were to, for example, get sent off against West Ham - we'd be going into the Arsenal game with Konsa at LCB, Geertruida at RCB, either Nedeljkovic or Cash at CB.and Dendoncker or Bogarde on the bench as CB cover - that would be us in our second game of the season, without a recognised senior CB on the bench and one of our two hybrid RB/RCB players playing on the left side of the middle two.

There's no way a Premier league team competing for European football should find itself in that position - if we sell Carlos, we need Geeertruida AND a senior centreback.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macandally said:

We have addressed that.

Have we?

There are areas where we're strong - particularly in attacking midfield and at he full back positions - but, depending on our nutters, our back up CB at the moment might be Bogarde, Dendoncker or Swinkels - that's not great depth and our back up striker might be Archer - which would be a drop off from one of the best in Europe to a Championship level poacher.

We're two CB's and a Cf away from having addressed that depth problem - and weirdly constantly linked to additional players in the areas where we're now deep.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Have we?

There are areas where we're strong - particularly in attacking midfield and at he full back positions - but, depending on our nutters, our back up CB at the moment might be Bogarde, Dendoncker or Swinkels - that's not great depth and our back up striker might be Archer - which would be a drop off from one of the best in Europe to a Championship level poacher.

We're two CB's and a Cf away from having addressed that depth problem - and weirdly constantly linked to additional players in the areas where we're now deep.

We still have Carlos, and Mings to come back. We still have Duran 

our depth is fine for both strikers and CBs

If we want more in, we got to sell Carlos and Duran 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

No I’m not as doom and gloom as you think. I was impressed by the Maatsen and Onana deals. I also think Barkley adds depth and I’m hopeful (although not totally confident) the young players can step up. I just feel a bit depressed that there are still a couple of positions in the starting 11 that need upgrading with proven quality and we can’t do anything until we sell players it seems. I’m also gutted about selling Luiz and to a lesser extent Diaby.

Or maybe I’m just super hard to please like you say 😂

Yeah PSR really ****es me off.  I genuinely can't see how anyone could possibly argue that the signings we have made this summer threaten the financial viability of Aston Villa FC, the personal fortunes of NSWE or the (as yet still slightly tenuous) corporate wealth of Comcast.  Yet banning us from spending £8m on a striker a month after our record signing suffered a season ending (arguably serious career ending) injury should have condemned us to relegation (bar a remarkable post-Covid run) which would have had very serious financial implications.  Similarly forcing us to sell a key player in his prime for arguably (depending on how you view any transfer "value" in the current PSR climate) 25% under his realistic market value (I don't think the deal was anything like as bad as that) for no other reason than to hit some arbitrary "accounting" target that exists in no other industry in the world - again actually weakens our business.  It's a ****ing insane implementation even if its origins came from a good place (which they didn't!).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Have we?

I think we might explore a loan for a CB, as Mings isnt ready. Others have suggested Langlet which I’d be fine with.

• Like 1

Exclusive: Yeimar Mosquera (19) is close to being a new #AstonVilla player . They are buying him permanently from #Orsomarso . The idea is for the captain of the Colombia U-20 team to have experience in Europe. He could be loaned to #RealUnión , Unai Emery's team.

• Like 1

I don't really think we've improved being able to deal with an aggressive press because we've lost Luiz and not yet upgraded on either Cash/Carlos (unless Kosta is going to immediately be starting which will have question marks in itself), which is an area of the side where we struggle to deal with a press from.

A big issue was defending set-pieces, and I think that one has gone some way to being addressed with Onana coming in and also Rogers becoming a more permanent fixture of the side, and might be further aided by another signing or two. That does lend itself to some uneasiness though, as it's a bit weird that despite all the business that's been done it feels like there's still quite a bit up in the air with the squad. 

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â