Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

34 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

For me we need to complete the Carlos sale and get Geertruida in. I think this improves our defence this season and gives us more depth too. 

Agree with this. Don't rate Carlos as too inconsistent and Geertruida can play CB RB DM comfortably

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Or he was on various targets and we were happy to wait and get a loan or cheaper deal. Not a priority. 

Definitely, I was using him as an example of a name we had been linked to recently..

4 days before the first encounter, could do with wrapping up at least one deal this week, not feeling fulfilled with the quality we have due to particular outgoings, Geertruida is the only deal possible but even that doesn’t look too close to being done 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Honestly I'm still not convinced he'd be any good in PL but I don't think we'll sign him so whether he'd be good or rubbish will be hypothetical debate for the ages.

Actually based on pre season I'd much rather have got ESR

Felix was just an example of a "big name", I too am not convinced that he would be a positive signing, I just trust the manager and co.

I get the hype over losing Luiz and Diarby

But thats what is...hype.

Dont get me wrong Luiz and Diary played their part last season and were good players.

But if we cant replace their input of 19 goals and 14 assists (league stats) between a fully fit Ramsay, Tielemens, Buendia, an improved Rogers and addition of Enzo, Barkley added to the squad then yeah...the window as been poor.

Think with heads not your hearts...its been a good window...we have improved the squad>   maybe Geertruida in and strengthening the back line is more important point to judge the window...not losing Luiz and Diarby.

Unai knows what he is doing.

UTV

Edited by Bazmonkey

11 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Dont get me wrong Luiz and Diary played their part last season and were good players.

But if we cant replace their input of 19 goals and 14 assists (league stats) between a fully fit Ramsay, Tielemens, Buendia, an improved Rogers and addition of Enzo, Barkley added to the squad then yeah...the window as been poor.

Think with heads not your hearts...its been a good window...we have improved the squad>   maybe Geertruida in and strengthening the back line is more important point to judge the window...not losing Luiz and Diarby.

Unai knows what he is doing.

UTV

Moussa Dairy was probably my favourite player.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

UTV

We need to replace the 19 goals and 14 assists only if we concede the same amount as last year. If our defence improves by 10 goals due to the signings including our defensive mids then it is less of a problem replacing the scoring output from Douglas and Moussa. We let in a lot of goals last year which was fine because we scored a lot too but we can’t just say we lost a lot of goal scoring output and assume we will be worse because of it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm annoyed loads of fantasy "gurus" are hyping Rogers at 5m. Was hoping was going to be an under the radar POD. 

I know mate, I thought I had a right Gem and then he scored a few in pre season and everyone jumped on it!

I

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Has Brendan Rodgers signed for us? 😉

On a serious note I like Rogers (even if I do think the hype has started a bit prematurely just like it did with Ramsey) but he was already here last season, albeit he signed in January. It’s like saying we’ve lost Luiz but it’s ok Tielemans can replace him. Err, he was already here last season.

Not an argument I buy into I’m afraid.

I do think though, can we find someone from existing squad to score Diabys goals as not like he scored 25 and same with Luiz, find a decent penalty taker and half of them are covered

2 hours ago, AshVilla said:

28 goal contributions between Luiz and Diaby last season.

Have we replaced their output yet?

Yes. We signed Onana and Philogene to replace those two players.

• Shocked 1

Sergi Roberto officially a free agent.

32, plays midfield and right back, no fee, wages would be high but whose wages aren't high these days?

Seems a no brainer to me. 

3 minutes ago, jacksonho said:

We need to replace the 19 goals and 14 assists only if we concede the same amount as last year. If our defence improves by 10 goals due to the signings including our defensive mids then it is less of a problem replacing the scoring output from Douglas and Moussa. We let in a lot of goals last year which was fine because we scored a lot too but we can’t just say we lost a lot of goal scoring output and assume we will be worse because of it.

Absolutely....you nailed it and this is what I should have said at the end of my comment,

Been too much said about the loss of players when really we should be looking at the bigger issues that should be addressed in the window..in our case...we conceded far to many goals and need to be defensively better.,,,,Onana you would think should do some that and with hopefully the return of Kamara...this will only help....then chuck in.....hopefully...the additions given from those brought we in...we should be ok...if not...slightly defensively better...and the window is still open.

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yes. We signed Onana and Philogene to replace those two players.

Luiz had 9 goals and 5 assists in the PL last season. Onana has 13 goals and 6 assists over 203 games in his whole career. Sure he can add to that but he's not a points player.

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Sergi Roberto officially a free agent.

32, plays midfield and right back, no fee, wages would be high but whose wages aren't high these days?

Seems a no brainer to me. 

He's not particularly good thou.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I hoped we'd get a big signing coming in,  but not at the cost of the depth we desperately needed to add. I also expected that if we sold Luiz or one of our other main players that that would mean we could add a big signing alongside the depth we needed.

Sadly, it seems our PSR position was about 50m worse than I'd expected, so I've tempered my expectations based on that. 

Onana is a great signing, and whilst not a huge name, he will be in a couple of years time. Hopefully still time for one more if we can shift Carlos, Duran, Moreno/Digne or Cash.

I think a lot of people have already sat up and taken notice about us signing a player like Onana.  I think he's one of the highest rated young central midfielders in the country - certainly outside of the Sly 6.  I do think that he will be one of the top 5 signings of the window in the PL.  It might take him a few games to get used to the way we play (which does require players to almost instinctively know what their team-mates are likely to do next more than with some other teams) but once he does I do think he will be a terrific player.  Plus he'll probably improve again when Kamara is back and fit and he can play more of his natural role.

And I also think that Ned will be recognised as probably the best signing of the last window too.  I kind of assumed that he must have something about him for us to have moved so quickly in January but I've been really pleased with what I have seen so far.  In particular he looks like a player who is desperate to soak up advice and good coaching to take himself to the next level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â