Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

To be fair should we even do so regardless. We could end up with unregistered players.

Oh I’m not asking for us to break the rules, not at all, don’t want us to suffer any punishments or repercussions and it’s clear we won’t do that or take silly risks like that…

But, like Nassef, I’m questioning the rules and the integrity of them… and how some clubs seem to be favoured and have more flexibility.

It is mad that we’ve had to sell a key player or two when we’ve managed to be competitive and progressive and get into the CL for the first time. And been unable to strength as freely as we would like (as Nassef also suggested).

Some just don’t care at all 😆 Chelsea?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Yep, squad is much improved in that we’ve swapped the deadwood for young, high potential players. That’s something I’ll give Monchi some credit for.

First team though, in my opinion is weaker. Onana effectively replaces Kamara because of the injury, and Barkley replaces Luiz which is a big downgrade. You can’t say Tielemans is Dougie’s replacement because you’re taking him from elsewhere on the pitch/bench.

Maatsen is a good addition but we were already ok for left backs, so whilst better, the improvement will be marginal to begin with.

The biggest opportunities to improve (or maintain) the quality in our side were in the 10, 8, 4 and 2 positions (replacing Diaby, Dougie, Carlos and Cash). We haven’t replaced any of them yet.

I agree with some of this.  A fella on X had a good posting that I agreed with- imo our current 1st 11 is slightly weaker but our overall squad is stronger.  As in our ceiling is a bit lower but we have raised the floor quite a bit- this will help us cope with rotation and injuries this season much better than last year.  I believe that is where we are at currently.  With the window still having 3 weeks left- there is still ample opportunity to strengthen and improve our ceiling.  The Feynoord RB/CB will improve our 1st11- allowing Konsa to shift back to CB.  The potential signing of Felix- or someone similar- that will also raise our 1st11 ceiling as well.  I believe those are the final 2 players we will be trying to sign- then shifting players out.  We definitely are not the finished article yet.

I have been quite disappointed with our preseason performances- but after further review- this can easily be chalked up to our squad turnover this window in addition to preseason.  We have many new players trying to learn the UE system- and also getting minutes into their bodies.  That is a recipe for struggles imo.

UTV

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Still only the 1 first team starter signed. Two starters from last season sold. Man this is a painful window. (The 1 starter, in case it wasn’t obvious, is Onana). 

Are you really seeing that Diaby was a full starter or would even be starting this season if he was still here? (I’m not saying starting some games but one of the main starters)? 

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

Are you really seeing that Diaby was a full starter or would even be starting this season if he was still here? (I’m not saying starting some games but one of the main starters)? 

He played in every single game for us last season… so, yes, I think he would have been a starter… 

Just now, Tayls said:

He played in every single game for us last season… so, yes, I think he would have been a starter… 

He featured in all of them, but didn’t start it all. While the season kept going he mostly was on bench especially when Tielemans wasn’t injured. He started a good amount of games (25), but we didn’t have Rogers at the beginning of the season. 
Right now, we have Ramsey back, and Rogers around. I can’t see him being a starter, Bailey backup possibly. He isn’t bad but his best position is the same where Bailey plays. Playing as a second striker regress him. 

• Like 1

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

He featured in all of them, but didn’t start it all. While the season kept going he mostly was on bench especially when Tielemans wasn’t injured. He started a good amount of games (25), but we didn’t have Rogers at the beginning of the season. 
Right now, we have Ramsey back, and Rogers around. I can’t see him being a starter, Bailey backup possibly. He isn’t bad but his best position is the same where Bailey plays. Playing as a second striker regress him. 

Bailey and Ramsey will be our wide players this season with a number of rotations involving Rogers, Philogene and, possibly, Iling-Junior. So we have the wide positions covered. Selling Diaby was obviously about the money and him ‘wanting’ (allegedly) to leave for Saudi. I don’t think Philogene will have the same impact that Diaby did in his first full season in the senior team. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

That's because West Ham have Fullkrug, Paqueta, Bowen and Kudus as well. And they're not having to navigate the league with a very tough Champions League schedule (in fact they have no Europe whatsoever).

Watkins, Bailey and Ramsey are as good if not better than Bowen, Kudus and Paqueta

• Like 3

Bring in Muci and Kilicsoy for probably the same price as Felix would cost, and less in wages. Then move on Duran and Archer.

Then we can bring in Geertruida and finally completely focus on selling the likes of Dendoncker, Moreno and possibly Cash.

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

In addition to what I said, I do expect West Ham to start the season strongly. They’re likely to be ahead of us for a while, IMO. New manager bounce plus decent signings, etc.

I think the opposite with so many new players and the manager trying to get his style imbedded with have issues before settling so I thought they will start slow before getting better.

58 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Well actually Man Utd did win things with those kids, did the double that season 😃

That was 30 years ago though and the league was nowhere near as strong. Sadly I think Collomoose is right. 

I remember it, we beat them 3-1 at Villa Park opening day and Hansen then came out with that statement.

Collomose is paid to sell headlines and he is on the outside looking in, he has no clue how prepared we are really.  
I will say again, I think we will have a slowish start, but Emery will he the right people in the right places.

Pre-Season is the rehearsals, the show starts on Saturday 

There is a world in which Conor Gallagher gets stuck at Chelsea who don't want him and João Felix gets stuck at Atletico who also don't want him.

Couldn't be happier if it transpires.

Pair of jumped-up words removed.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â