Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yeah but it seems like Duran stays. And If he does, we must use him. So he’s our backup striker.

I wouldn't be so sure about Duran. I think he will be going somewhere, as his position is virtually untenable now. West Ham is still an option (even with the Fullkrug signing) or to a team abroad on loan or sale.

14 minutes ago, macandally said:

Why do you counter your own arguments?  They are not good enough but they are?  

I think his point is that we need a few top class, established players or stars so we can be as competitive as possible in CL… I respect some of his opinions/takes even though I don’t completely or necessarily agree with all of them.

We all have our own views and opinions…

But I just wish there was less negativity and such a defeatist attitude, don’t see the justification for feeling inferior to anyone really… we outperformed and beat the champions and runners up (twice) after all… we will do what we can in terms of recruitment but don’t have the freedom that others do.

Our greatest asset is Unai.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, macandally said:

Who the hell is Muci and will they swap him for Dendonker?

Nobody wants the Donk 😂 🤦‍♂️ 😭 

Especially not on the stupid wages we’ve given him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Will be interesting what we do in final weeks. Few players to move on and if Felix is off to Chelsea I'm sure we'll move onto other targets for the support striker. Possibly a loan or possibly not. Give how complicated Felix deal would have been we've certainly had alternatives. Especially as we sanctioned Diaby to leave. Not selling Duran has made things more complicated as we are still in a PSR hole for 24/25 that needs to be addressed. 

I am sure they have already planned for that, in fact I think its something Jacob Tanswell has stated - they are a step ahead and are buying for succession already

Edited by thunderball

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Nobody wants the Donk 😂 🤦‍♂️ 😭 

Especially not on the stupid wages we’ve given him.

Think we need to keep hold of Donk for his versatility, anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Think we need to keep hold of Donk for his versatility, anyway. 

Agreed, he can play as a cruise liner or an oil tanker. 

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Bailey had played at the top level for Leverkusen though and in CL/EL. So had Diaby so selling him seems poor judgement. 

Philogene could make that step up but we really don't know at this stage. I think our options attacking options compared to the other top 8 teams are inferior and they seem to be getting stronger each passing week with new signings (Solanke, Neto etc) while we stand still with what we have. 

Bailey was woeful first season, people wanted him gone, read his thread!

I am not bothered what others are doing, Solanke could be inspired or out of his depth, Chelsea are a basket case and food only knows what they will do.

I have said before, I think we will have a slow start as people bed in, but Emery will come up with the right blend of that I am sure.  Keep the faith! 

50 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think we will be able to get a top striker as wages and fee will be too expensive. I think Tammy would be a decent backup, as he is similar in style to Watkins but won't be too expensive. From previous interviews, he seems to have a soft spot for us so could compromise on wages as well. I'm sure Emery will work his usual magic and get him back to his best, so seems like a no brainer.

I think the problem is that any deal for Felix would mean we won't be able to get João and Tammy. Maybe if Felix falls through then it would be worth going for.

I agree. Tammys a good option and i think is a good fit for us

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Going to be hard to prize a star player out of another team at this stage of the window when the leagues are starting up imminently. Clubs are not wanting to lose important players at this stage except for silly money, which we don't have. Feels like we are more likely to get someone's cast off at this point; players who are clearly surplus to requirements for one reason or another. Could still be some good players on that list but might narrow our field. 

Shows the folly of releasing Diaby early and then chasing Felix for so long when his circumstances were so complicated.   

i do think if we have gone after felix emery deserves criticizim for going all out and possibly costing us other possible targets who might have been benificial

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Bailey had played at the top level for Leverkusen though and in CL/EL. So had Diaby so selling him seems poor judgement. 

Philogene could make that step up but we really don't know at this stage. I think our options attacking options compared to the other top 8 teams are inferior and they seem to be getting stronger each passing week with new signings (Solanke, Neto etc) while we stand still with what we have. 

Yet, you’re praising West Ham who’ve similarly signed Summerville and some Brazilian whose name escapes me.

Our attacking options currently are: Watkins, Bailey, Ramsey, Buendia, Rogers, Duran, Philogene, and add Archer and Iling-Jr as backups. We will add one more to that before the window closes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Yet, you’re praising West Ham who’ve similarly signed Summerville and some Brazilian whose name escapes me.

Our attacking options currently are: Watkins, Bailey, Ramsey, Buendia, Rogers, Duran, Philogene, and add Archer and Iling-Jr as backups. We will add one more to that before the window closes. 

That's because West Ham have Fullkrug, Paqueta, Bowen and Kudus as well. And they're not having to navigate the league with a very tough Champions League schedule (in fact they have no Europe whatsoever).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

i do think if we have gone after felix emery deserves criticizim for going all out and possibly costing us other possible targets who might have been benificial

Erm… don’t think he’s doing the signings mate, more concerned with coaching the players.

Monchi will have been given a list and consulted him on targets, transfer business is his department.

Why are so many so eager to criticise the club? We don’t know the details… we’re not going to be ripped off, held to ransom or forced to sell players on the cheap.

The structure and finances have to work for us…

we don’t have the foggiest in comparison.

• Like 2

Even Collomoose thinks our transfer strategy has been nuts this summer: The Premier League's great gamblers: Why Aston Villa's Sir Alex Ferguson-style strategy and risky transfer game could spectacularly backfire | Daily Mail Online

We'll know after the first 2-3 games if this is right. I just hope we're not panic buying at the end of this month because we've got off to a poor start.

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree. Tammys a good option and i think is a good fit for us

Part of our issue we have now is having players like Donk and Carlos on and around £100k per week who contribute very little given the size of their wages - and you think adding Tammy to that is the way forwards - ok 

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Even Collomoose thinks our transfer strategy has been nuts this summer: The Premier League's great gamblers: Why Aston Villa's Sir Alex Ferguson-style strategy and risky transfer game could spectacularly backfire | Daily Mail Online

We'll know after the first 2-3 games if this is right. I just hope we're not panic buying at the end of this month because we've got off to a poor start.

Mail+.

Aint paying for that, can anyone "legally" just paste the story?

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Erm… don’t think he’s doing the signings mate, more concerned with coaching the players.

Monchi will have been given a list and consulted him on targets, transfer business is his department.

Why are so many so eager to criticise the club? We don’t know the details… we’re not going to be ripped off, held to ransom or forced to sell players on the cheap.

The structure and finances have to work for us…

we don’t have the foggiest in comparison.

I don't think Unai can be criticsed because as you say it's not him doing the deals. He presumably gave the green light to sell Luiz and Diaby though.

I must admit I don't rate Monchi. His first summer wheeling and dealing and the state of the squad doesn't look great to me. Season kicks off in 5 days.

If the season doesn't go so well I'd be quite happy for Monchi to be replaced next summer. I have just not been impressed by him at all.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Is the the “you don’t win anything with kids” comparison?

How many Europa Leagues has Collomose won?  How many League games has he managed. 

People seemingly go out of their way to find things to “wet wipe” about 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We've changed the squad but the tea is much the same. Luiz out and Onana in. Everyone else who starts will have been here last season. 

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I don't think Unai can be criticsed because as you say it's not him doing the deals. He presumably gave the green light to sell Luiz and Diaby though.

I must admit I don't rate Monchi. His first summer wheeling and dealing and the state of the squad doesn't look great to me. Season kicks off in 5 days.

If the season doesn't go so well I'd be quite happy for Monchi to be replaced next summer. I have just not been impressed by him at all.

That seems far too reactionary or extreme….

Wait until the window has closed before making final judgements.

I think he’s done well and better than any predecessor at getting players we don’t want or need out.

Doubt there is anyone out there who would work as well with Unai as him.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â