Out: Zaniolo, Diaby, Archer*

In: Buendia, Philogene, Illing Junior 

Midfield 

Out: Luiz, Iroegbunam, Dendonker*

In: Barkley, Onana, Barrenechea 

Defence 

Out: Carlos*, Moreno*, Lenglet, Chambers 

In: Geertruida*, Mings, Maatsen, Nedeljkovic 

Add to that JJ back fit for season, we have Rogers for whole season but we're without Kamara for part of season too. 

I'm making assumptions on Carlos, Dendonker and Archer leaving and Geertruida joining. 

No doubt the squad is improved. Hopefully we can use the loan market if we need to as I'd still like an additional experienced attacking player.

when you lay it all out in black and white like that, the squad depth has improved in every area

presumably what people are getting upset/concerned about is that the first XI has not improved aside from potentially LB. geertruida possibly improves RB if that's where we're signing him to play.

i think onana could be a like for like replacement for luiz in terms of general play but i don't see him replicating luiz's goal threat

the key for me is that none of the players that have come into the attack are an upgrade on diaby. we need to get duran sold asap so we can get someone in for the number 10 role

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I thought we’d sell diaby and Duran and bring in Felix. 

Wish we didn’t sell diaby now. 

i'm guessing they thought the felix deal would be easier. something tells me we will regret that one.

6 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

We didn’t want to sell Diaby, he asked to leave. We tried to sell Durán, West Ham refused to meet our demands. 

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the key for me is that none of the players that have come into the attack are an upgrade on diaby. we need to get duran sold asap so we can get someone in for the number 10 role

Or archer. I know Duran has been a bell over the summer but he is a better option than archer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Where was this stated? 

It's pretty evident that we didn't want to sell him. The Saudis just offered a great price. I can't foresee a scenario where he didn't tell Unai about his desire to play there. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Meh, was like having 10 men on the pitch at times, especially when his confidence was low.

I'd rather have Rogers in that position.

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

when you lay it all out in black and white like that, the squad depth has improved in every area

presumably what people are getting upset/concerned about is that the first XI has not improved aside from potentially LB. geertruida possibly improves RB if that's where we're signing him to play.

i think onana could be a like for like replacement for luiz in terms of general play but i don't see him replicating luiz's goal threat

I think people are thinking too small when they care about a first 11. When are we ever going to play that team? We'll have injuries and managing players minutes.

The way I think about it, if we have a strong squad we can reduce the load on our best players and thus they perform at their peak for the season and not getting injured or performances dropping off due as the season hits April.

Also a deep squad increases the standards in training a s competition for places. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It's pretty evident that we didn't want to sell him. 

Is it? 

My take from the situation was that we had a price we'd be willing to sell Diaby for and it was met. 

Though i'm happy to be proved wrong. 

Again, I’d really like Baena. He can play centrally.

Don’t think we have much room in the squad for more wingers, unless we let someone go on loan or sale.

He creates so many chances but, on top of that, is a major threat from free kicks which is something valuable that we don’t have in our squad. 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â