Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Unai has never been about marquee big name signings. More about players that can fit the system he wants. 

Yup.

As mentioned a couple times , based on what I've read and listened to from ppl who have followed him.

He's known for talking underdogs, and young players, older players and players which may have lost their way and raised eyebrows very effective in his systems.

I think he'll be able to do that at a higher level here.

Don't get me wrong, I too wish we could go for some of the highest profile players but realise our constrictions and trust them to get it right within our limitations.

• Like 2

Lo Celso would barely make the bench at best with the players we have in the middle.  It would be a waste bringing him in either a purchase or loan.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Lo Celso would barely make the bench at best with the players we have in the middle.  It would be a waste bringing him in either a purchase or loan.

Would have made sense if we hadn't already signed Barkley perhaps.

• Like 1

Everyone trying to judge the transfer window… it’s still open and some players need time to develop in to the roles they have here. 

We’ll get a more rounded idea by the end of the season. As we see where the team is and how the individual players are progressing. 

• Like 2

Further idle speculation: The private jet the team has used this summer is in Seville today.

Monchi catching up with old friends, Alex Moreno back to Real Betis, something else or completely unrelated? 

Edited by Wes

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Everyone trying to judge the transfer window… it’s still open and some players need time to develop in to the roles they have here. 

We’ll get a more rounded idea by the end of the season. As we see where the team is and how the individual players are progressing. 

Agreed. To look at the two big signings last summer: Pau Torres took a good while to get up to speed. Didn’t help that Mings got injured in game one but Pau become one of most important players last year after those growing pains and Diaby was our most electric player at the start of the season before flat-lining for several months. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Lo Celso just reeks of a lazy link

Emery liked him at Villarreal. That’s about it 

and while he played well on the continent, he struggles in the PL.  He’s just not suited to our football, which is fine, some players aren’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

The squad is better ofc, no doubt about that.

Most of the squad is, we have much better depth at FB on both sides, in midfield and on the wings - but we're worse up top, where we have the same players but we've fallen out with one and at  CB where we're one light and we've fallen out with one of the others.

• Like 4

The way to judge a transfer window is to see are the incoming on par or better than the outgoings and as of now I think 6/10 is right but that may well become a 10/10 depending on how things go in the next few weeks.

Not going to compare players just yet (see my final paragraph. The one I will mention is Maatsen and he has sort of come into an area we are already well stocked in so that's an odd one. Interesting to see which one of Digne or Moreno leaves. But left back certainly wasn't a priority area compared ro centre back and no. 10/back up striker 

Yes, we have signed some players who have potential and may become better. But as of right now we have a stronger squad but a weaker team in my honest opinion.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've come to realise that this is probably mostly a system issue than primarily a Pau issue.

Have to take the good with the bad, the insistence of playing out from the back even in the most dangerous situations and giving away sloppy goals with it at times, frustrates me as well , alot.

However I'm thinking we are very much a we are going to score more than you team rather than a defend at all costs team.

I reckon Unai almost sees defence as the first line of attack lol 

As we know Pau adds to attacking build up. Problem is, if you want someone who can both do what he does AND defend like an elite CB you are getting into Gvardiol prices and competition from the best teams in the world.

We have given away a few in preseason playing out like this, but we didn't give away too many throughout last season, a couple here and there? We scored a lot more goals as a result of playing out than we did concede, the arsenal goal for example. Preseason is an opportunity to really push this so not too surprising weve made a few errors. 

As you say not many who can play out and defend, they're in the elite defender class and cost a fortune. Pau is remarkable at what he does, you have to take the rough with the smooth a bit. It would be nice to pair him with someone who is very good in the air though, feel like we lack in that area although Onana will help from set pieces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, striker said:

Signing both wouldn't if Donk can somehow be sold or moved out on loan.

Celso is a much better player than some on here give him credit for and Emery likes him. Technically gifted and can score goals.

A loan deal for Celso would be good business.

The guys always injured. His fitness record is up there with some of the worst.

Makes zero sense to me doing this deal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

As others have said—Emery doesn’t sign “big” names to massage some of the egos of the fan base. 
That rarely equates to success and he knows exactly how to achieve success.

This, this and more this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The way to judge a transfer window is to see are the incoming on par or better than the outgoings and as of now I think 6/10 is right but that may well become a 10/10 depending on how things go in the next few weeks.

Not going to compare players just yet (see my final paragraph. The one I will mention is Maatsen and he has sort of come into an area we are already well stocked in so that's an odd one. Interesting to see which one of Digne or Moreno leaves. But left back certainly wasn't a priority area compared ro centre back and no. 10/back up striker 

Yes, we have signed some players who have potential and may become better. But as of right now we have a stronger squad but a weaker team in my honest opinion.

Utter rubbish nowadays, you have to win the transfer window

Tottenham have done it a few times why can’t we?

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Maatsen, Onana are very good first team players, with huge potential. 
Then you got Jaden, who we could’ve get someone as good or slightly better (such as Summerville), but we had a good deal, we wanted to capitalize while using a club train squad number for him. 

Then you’ve got Iling and Enzo, both we needed to get for PSR reasons. Enzo was the best we could take, and both are easier to shift, we didn’t spend what McKennie wanted so we know what to do in this case. 

Dobbin was for PSR reason. Barkley a cheap reliable squad member. Archer is forced back. 

I don’t so how it’s considered bad. We managed to sell a non starter player for 60m, which is a big success, as he doesn’t fit the system anyway. We’re having players coming from injuries as well. 

If we managed to get Geertruida and Felix I think it’s towards 9/10. Especially if we managed to sell couple of the unwanted players.

Obviously if we bring in a CB and Felix, it’s a much better window.

Ultimately we’ve lost one of our best players and also lost our record signing (who most will agree had a lot of potential, even if sometimes he flattered to deceive).

Dobbin, Archer, JBP, Enzo and SIJ are all miles off our first team imo. I’d be pretty surprised if any of them start a PL/meaningful cup game this year.

Maatsen should be an upgrade at LB and hopefully Onana proves worth the £50m - but difficult to see how we’re a better side than last year.

I think United (with De Light), West Ham, Newcastle (if Guehi signs) and Spurs are all better than last year (on paper). Arsenal have strengthened. I appreciate Emery makes the sum of our parts better - but unless we sign a couple more players, top 6/7 will be a momentous battle.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Can only give this window a 5/10 so far.

Was expecting a higher calibre of player coming in considering were in the CL.

If we can't attract them now we never will.

I dont agree with this but what players/postions would you want signed to make it 7/8. I assume what comes with those players is a price tag aswell. 

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Utter rubbish nowadays, you have to win the transfer window

Tottenham have done it a few times why can’t we?

My post is rubbish?

I'm just saying Luiz, Diaby, Tim and Kellyman went out and the jury is out on wether Onana, Enzo, Dobbin, and Philogene are on par or better. Maatsen is an upgrade at left back bit we are well stocked there.

But the squad unit is stronger, yes with Barkley, and SIJ good additions.  So we would be able to weather an injury crisis as things stand. But our first team last year was able to beat the likes of Man City and Arsenal- I'm not sure as of right now we have the same quality to match those teams.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I agree..

PSR is designed to stop clubs like ourselves challenging and becoming the elite..

Top 5/6 will be a miracle this season..

It's designed to stop Saudi Arabia buying the Premier League title for Newcastle. The problem is the horse has bolted, as Abu Dhabi had already won it for City and Russian oil won it for Chelsea. 

Not sure if already mentioned but Fulham have been linked with a £20m bid for Joachim Anderson.

I know he's 28 but he's right sided, a tough tackling Scandinavian (which we've had to great effect) and is a great passer. For that kind of figure we could maybe look to do a trade with Carlos included

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â