Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why so?

Todibo more a Pau type ballplayer, Geertruida more a hybrid Carlos/Konsa. Can play RCB/RB and is a physical player aerially (he has a very high aerial win %)

31 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

A lot of activity - but questionable as to whether we have a stronger first XI than last year.

Maatsen looks like an upgrade at LB. Onana is a different type of player to Luiz - but is tough to see how our first XI is better from letting Luiz go. Diaby hasn't been replaced - but with the form he finished the year in, he'd have needed to kick on to start for us this year. Ramsey, Rogers and Bailey look first-choice behind Watkins in my opinion. Albeit I could see games where I'd have started Diaby.

I'm not sure how many PL games SIJ and Enzo will play this year. JBP I'm hopeful can be an impact, but Archer was an enforced signing. Barkley is depth.

I think squad-wise, we're stronger. Nedeljkovic looks promising and Buendia and Ramsey are back fit. I still feel like we're a CB/RB and support striker short of a good window. 

The first 11 is definitely stronger and the squad absolutely.

We need to let this Luiz thing go...yes he did good things but he was not the be all and end all.  Lets not forget for the remaining four months he went MIA.

Scoring goals and creating we did very well a strong point from last season..  What we were not good at was defending, most have blamed the back line, yes to some extent some of the defending by defenders was shocking but anyone in football will tell you, and as coach myself, if your defence is conceding and under the cosh a lot you look at the next part of the pitch....in this case Midfield.  Our Midfield was like a tea bag last season, even when we were doing well, there were gaps, massive gaps between each line, we conceded a lot of goals for a team finish fourth.

Onana will give us that muscle and defensive resilience we need, something which Luiz never did.  Diaby too....both had good stats but as much as stats are good indication of how a player is they can be misleading. I look at the team last year as going forward great, struggled against a low block, but defensively, absolutely basket case at times.

The starting 11 is definitely stronger, as a TEAM, not just as 11 individuals, Onana, Tielimens not fit, Ramsay, now fit, Kosta and Maatsen at full backs, Rogers improving, can replace those Luiz and Diarby stats

If we get this CB, Geertruida, I know nothing about, but he sounds good, and a player like Felix who can unlock those defensive teams, we not only make is defensively better but attacking better too....a more balanced 11 which will make it a stronger 11.

UTV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ornstein reporting we've turned down first bid from Fulham for Diego Carlos. Most likely to push price up. Must have someone lined up.

Just now, Wes said:

Ornstein reporting we've turned down first bid from Fulham for Diego Carlos. Most likely to push price up. Must have someone lined up.

Are you a Geertruida or Gomez man?

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I don't get why some on here hate him so much. My Liverpool supporting mates have always rated him and back when we were linked under Gerrard they were saying he won't be sold he's rated by Klopp. 

He's an England international, brings a wealth of experience, is amazingly versatile, even plays LB. Would be an immediate impact AND his Aerial win % is unreal, wins 80% of them placing him in top 1%. 

Joe Gomez is fast. But this is his only skill. He can't mark his man in area. Terrible, real terrible sense of position. Average first touch and technique. Injury prone. And expensive. 

If you buy him you waste the money. 

You should buy Lacroix. His contract ends next year and you can buy him for cheap. Also Geertruida (you are follwing him) is a good defender. Simakan could be another name... Or some young defender with high potential (Huijsen was perfect for you). There are many better signings than Joe Gomez. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Are you a Geertruida or Gomez man?

Firstly, complete trust in Emery and his decisions so whatever they go with is fine.
Personally, I like Geertuida more. I think he would be cheaper (last year of current deal).
Gomez would be more expensive, but would count to our Home Grown quota, which we do need to keep an eye on.
Both offer great versatility.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Todibo more a Pau type ballplayer, Geertruida more a hybrid Carlos/Konsa. Can play RCB/RB and is a physical player aerially (he has a very high aerial win %)

The thing about Geertruida is, being primarily a RB, he hasn’t been involved in aerial duels that often.

IMG_0863.jpeg

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The thing about Geertruida is, being primarily a RB, he hasn’t been involved in aerial duels that often.

IMG_0863.jpeg

Konsa's win % being so close to Ty's is very promising though, surprised its so close!

Seeing that makes me much more comfortable having him at CB with Geertruida RB

13 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I swear someone in this thread has been banging on about Geertruida for ages. Can’t say I’ve ever seen him play. Any good? 

@burchy @Leeroy @paul514 

These three have all been banging the Gerty drum for some time. Someone else too...

Edit @CroVillan was the other one. 

Edited by MrBlack

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Guess we are going sober then…

No Beier for us 😂

that must mean adeyemi definitely leaving probably moukoko too

£50m for adeyemi is about £25m too much IMO but wouldnt say no to either on a loan with buying options

• Like 1

Have to say our transfer management under Monchi is a quantum leap in thorough, sensible and comprehensive activity. We seem on a totally different level than anything I’ve seen before, some clever and researched signings and quick decision making often turning a perceived loss of capability into a net gain. We are building for a serious campaign in 2025/26 and look in good shape despite the Luiz rumblings.

• Like 2

Not sure with letting Carlos go (which I am fully in favour of) we have enough in Konsa, Pau, Bogarde and Mings (big questions on fitness). Isn’t Geertruida more of a rb?

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

Not sure with letting Carlos go (which I am fully in favour of) we have enough in Konsa, Pau, Bogarde and Mings (big questions on fitness). Isn’t Geertruida more of a rb?

Geertruida is primarily a RB in the same way Konsa is primarily a CB who can fill in at RB.

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Geertruida is primarily a RB in the same way Konsa is primarily a CB who can fill in at RB.

Still think we need a quality cb to be honest. Perhaps Geetruida could fulfill the role. 

5 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Still think we need a quality cb to be honest. Perhaps Geetruida could fulfill the role. 

Are there no scandanavian monsters about, preferably with a beard or potential to grow a beard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If we sign Geertruida, then surely we’re selling Cash?

Kosta definitely good enough to give Gerty competition.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â