Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a better fit.  He is differnt to pau. Better in air, physical and can play right back too. Emery likes his versatile players.

Tobido and pau would be a disaster cb pairing. It would only work if he played with mings

Most complaints about Geertruida seems to be that while he’s press resistent and good in possession, he’s a passive, non-physical defender who isn’t good aerially.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/lutsharel-geertruida-feyenoords-dutch-international-linked-with-barcelona-and-leipzig/

29 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why so?

1st choice RB or a 3rd choice CB

and then theres the argument that geertruida can cover CB too so offers us more flexibility - but i wouldnt have that argument if it was gomez or todibo, id want todibo

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Most complaints about Geertruida seems to be that while he’s press resistent and good in possession, he’s a passive, non-physical defender who isn’t good aerially.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/lutsharel-geertruida-feyenoords-dutch-international-linked-with-barcelona-and-leipzig/

Sounds very similar to Konsa - able back up and starting RB? Never seen him play but maybe this is the thinking. 

Would leave us with 3 RBs and 3LBs - Unai going full Southgate for the new season. 

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Liverpool mates rate all their players.  Delusional.  From my mates down the years we would have CL players if we bought them.  SPEARING, Pennant, Ibe to name a few and there has been tonne like this.  Gomez is SHITE

Perhaps the worst comparison ever?

Gomez was/is a starting title winning defender and you compared him to peoples opinion on Jay Spearing 😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Liverpool mates rate all their players.  Delusional.  From my mates down the years we would have CL players if we bought them.  SPEARING, Pennant, Ibe to name a few and there has been tonne like this.  Gomez is SHITE

is that really any different to many fans?

a very high number of people on this very forum would argue that Cash, Archer, Nakamba, Davis, Wesley, Troare, Targett, Trez, El Ghazi etc are or were just another chance away from being top quality players and probably good enough for a top 4 club.

Although granted, some fan bases are probably more delusional than others.

Edited by MaVilla

17 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Perhaps the worst comparison ever?

Gomez was/is a starting title winning defender and you compared him to peoples opinion on Jay Spearing 😂

No I compared Liverpool fans/mates overrating all their players.  

And Gomez is rubbish.  Is not a starter for them

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is that really any different to many fans?

a very high number of people on this very forum would argue that Cash, Archer, Nakamba, Davis, Wesley, Troare, Targett, Trez, El Ghazi etc are or were just another chance away from being top quality players and probably good enough for a top 4 club.

Although granted, some fan bases are probably more delusional than others.

I don't know a single person on this forum that would say Cash, Archer, Nakamba, Davis, Wesley, Traore, Targett, Trezeguet, or El Ghazi have ever been on the cusp of being top quality and good enough for a top 4 club.

Gomez is clearly not shite. He's played over 200 games for a team better than us. 

My only concern would be injuries.

• Like 1

All Joe Gomez would do is keep our physio's busy.

Bang average defender who is overrated because he warms the bench at Liverpool.

Didn't want him when Gerrard was here and still don't wnat him now.

No thanks.

Edited by AshVilla

Gomez is fine; he's an incredibly versatile defender.

I guess my only concern would be... why would he want to move from being on the bench at Liverpool to being on the bench at Villa?  Could more readily see him heading to, say, West Ham (assuming Zouma has gone) where he'd be a regular starter.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Gomez is fine; he's an incredibly versatile defender.

I guess my only concern would be... why would he want to move from being on the bench at Liverpool to being on the bench at Villa?  Could more readily see him heading to, say, West Ham (assuming Zouma has gone) where he'd be a regular starter.

I'd imagine he'd start most games for us. Him and Konsa alternating between RB and CB.

A lot of activity - but questionable as to whether we have a stronger first XI than last year.

Maatsen looks like an upgrade at LB. Onana is a different type of player to Luiz - but is tough to see how our first XI is better from letting Luiz go. Diaby hasn't been replaced - but with the form he finished the year in, he'd have needed to kick on to start for us this year. Ramsey, Rogers and Bailey look first-choice behind Watkins in my opinion. Albeit I could see games where I'd have started Diaby.

I'm not sure how many PL games SIJ and Enzo will play this year. JBP I'm hopeful can be an impact, but Archer was an enforced signing. Barkley is depth.

I think squad-wise, we're stronger. Nedeljkovic looks promising and Buendia and Ramsey are back fit. I still feel like we're a CB/RB and support striker short of a good window. 

• Like 1

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I'd imagine he'd start most games for us. Him and Konsa alternating between RB and CB.

Hrmmm.

I like versatility, but the usefulness of that is mainly in reserve (oh, Matty Cash is injured... let's play Ezri there) as you only need one squad slot to cover more than one position.  I'd rather see an actual RB at RB (or RWB, or "D" or whatever the hell we want to class that position as) than have two centre-backs-who-can-also-play-RB-a-bit rotating.

Of course, I'm also not a master tactician so...

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hrmmm.

I like versatility, but the usefulness of that is mainly in reserve (oh, Matty Cash is injured... let's play Ezri there) as you only need one squad slot to cover more than one position.  I'd rather see an actual RB at RB (or RWB, or "D" or whatever the hell we want to class that position as) than have two centre-backs-who-can-also-play-RB-a-bit rotating.

Of course, I'm also not a master tactician so...

I just think that's how Emery likes to set up with the 3 CBs and an attacking LB. 

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5

2 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

A lot of activity - but questionable as to whether we have a stronger first XI than last year.

Maatsen looks like an upgrade at LB. Onana is a different type of player to Luiz - but is tough to see how our first XI is better from letting Luiz go. Diaby hasn't been replaced - but with the form he finished the year in, he'd have needed to kick on to start for us this year. Ramsey, Rogers and Bailey look first-choice behind Watkins in my opinion. Albeit I could see games where I'd have started Diaby.

I'm not sure how many PL games SIJ and Enzo will play this year. JBP I'm hopeful can be an impact, but Archer was an enforced signing. Barkley is depth.

I think squad-wise, we're stronger. Nedeljkovic looks promising and Buendia and Ramsey are back fit. I still feel like we're a CB/RB and support striker short of a good window. 

I don't think the first eleven really needs to be stronger.  We're at quite a weird junction really; qualified for the CL somewhat unexpectedly but in a financial position that means we need to balance the books and at a competitive level that it's as an "established" top side.

The main issue we had last season was not having the squad to effectively rotate and keep our momentum going.  As it happened, in the league, we managed to get over the line but not getting to the final of the ECL was a bit disappointing - that was a huge chance of getting some silverware.

I think the squad is now better - granted, needs time to adapt - and importantly young so there's plenty of life in our signings and some resale value if they don't work out.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its a better fit.  He is differnt to pau. Better in air, physical and can play right back too. Emery likes his versatile players.

Tobido and pau would be a disaster cb pairing. It would only work if he played with mings

That's quite a few specifics. Seen much of these players?

29 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

No I compared Liverpool fans/mates overrating all their players.  

And Gomez is rubbish.  Is not a starter for them

Gomez started over 60% of Liverpools matches last season you realise this? 

The Joe Gomez link looks lazy at best - still only mentioned in passing. We might hold an interest but it doesn’t always necessarily mean a move happens 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â