Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

30 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Do we not have a young promising CB for the future with Bogarde?🤔

Is he good enough? Never played above League 1 level. Looking good preseason is one thing, doing it week in week out against PL opposition is another (yes, I know he won't start but he might if we get injuries).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Is he good enough? Never played above League 1 level. Looking good preseason is one thing, doing it week in week out against PL opposition is another (yes, I know he won't start but he might if we get injuries).

Well that's the whole thing with him being young and promising isn't it? He's a project player. He would likely sit as 5th choice CB if he doesn't go on loan behind Pau, Konsa, Mings and Carlos (or his replacement).

Bogarde has looked a mature, calm and cultured CB in the last couple of friendlies. I've been pleasantly surprised how seamlessly he's fitted into Unai's style of both defending and playing out from the back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

This is a joke right? Martinez Pau Konsa it's different from meaningless pre season games

Pau was playing. Gauci played well, and so did Bogarde. Both goals the fullbacks were at fault to different degrees. Cash's header into the box from the byline was just stupid. We only have Pau and Konsa we can rely on. Mings won't be fit to appear in a match until October, Carlos hasn't been good enough on a consistent basis. Bogarde looks a player, but he is too small the be starting premier league games as a cb. We need one more high quality cb at the very least.

54 minutes ago, Wes said:

So many of us on this forum called Geertruida an ideal RB/(potentially even CB) signing for us in Emery's system with the more defensive minded RB over the past 9 months or so.

I would go back and search - but those people know who they are. This would be great, but I would have to assume it means Cash is leaving or Ned is going on loan?

drooling dog.jpg

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Bogarde has looked a mature, calm and cultured CB in the last couple of friendlies. I've been pleasantly surprised how seamlessly he's fitted into Unai's style of both defending and playing out from the back.

good first touch too.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Pau was playing. Gauci played well, and so did Bogarde. Both goals the fullbacks were at fault to different degrees. Cash's header into the box from the byline was just stupid. We only have Pau and Konsa we can rely on. Mings won't be fit to appear in a match until October, Carlos hasn't been good enough on a consistent basis. Bogarde looks a player, but he is too small the be starting premier league games as a cb. We need one more high quality cb at the very least.

Isn't Bogarde the same height as Konsa?

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Lethal striker? HIs stats are bang average for his entire career.

How many of their players get into our first XI (when Kamara is fit) and which Villa players would you drop?

His goals to minutes is probably better than Ollie's. Great record for Germany too mostly off the bench. 

Kudus, Paqueta, Alvarez, Bowen (although I prefer Bailey) could all get in our team. Even Ward Prowse's set pieces would be useful.

I don't know who I'd drop because many of our attacking players (in particular) are new and I haven't seen them at this level or they are coming back from long term injuries, but West Ham have got players I would definitely take here and are a dark horse to do well next season.

We'll probably still finish above them but can't get complacent that we don't have areas we need to fix in the transfer window. Getting Geertruida would help us a lot.

Just now, Jas10 said:

Oh dear.

But useful for transfer speculation n links, no?

Yeah, to be fair--I've no business talking about him.

Transfer link.. Hmmm, from Lisbon? Let me think.

9 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Well that's the whole thing with him being young and promising isn't it? He's a project player. He would likely sit as 5th choice CB if he doesn't go on loan behind Pau, Konsa, Mings and Carlos (or his replacement).

Yeah, possibly, although I'd like to see how he fares in the Championship first just because it's a big decision keeping him around.

That Hjusen who joined Bournemouth would have been good because he was playing regularly at top level for Roma and still only 19 so very likely he will go on to become very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

That’s fine. Still doesn’t change the fact he can’t defend. 

It’s a really uncomfortable conversation for a lot of people, I get it, but he needs to improve defensively otherwise we’ll continue to leak more goals than a top team should and will heavily rely on Martinez again this season.

Konsa and Mings are miles ahead of him at actually defending. 

He reads the game so well. His problem is he lacks aggression and is poor in one on one situations. His pace isn't slow, but he isn't quick either, just middling. He is better playing as a covering cb (so is Konsa), he needs a quick, aerially dominant stopper alongside him. A right footed Mings!

As a covering cb he can use his excellent reading of the game to it's fullest. 

Just now, Leeroy said:

Yeah, possibly, although I'd like to see how he fares in the Championship first just because it's a big decision keeping him around.

That Hjusen who joined Bournemouth would have been good because he was playing regularly at top level for Roma and still only 19 so very likely he will go on to become very good.

He will likely be in and around the first team at Bournemouth. We can't really offer that.

11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

One of the biggest truisms in top level football is don't try to integrate new CB pairing at beginning of season. I've said Carlos needs replacing for ages so please make it happen,  but thinking Torres and Konsa shouldn't be nailed on CB pairing right now is stupid, and some have suggested that. 

Edited by Kiwivillan

54 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

They've got Alvarez, Soucek, Ward Prowse and Rodriguez as their midfield options, Kudus, Paqueta, Bowen and Summerville as their attacking midfield/wide options, and an absolutely lethal striker up top. Lots of depth in those positions. Defence still iffy but so is ours.

You're just letting your Villa bias get in the way as usual. 

You seemed really rattled by West Ham mate - you ok ? 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Geertruida also bad in the air so yeh atleast we will have a theme in the backline. 

Still prefer to move Ezri there and have Kosta as backup whilst buying a top RCB to improve our aerial prowess. 

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don’t disagree with the last bit, but I also don’t think you’ll see much change in his play. He’s not going to become aerially dominant or strong against an opponent - that’s not him.

Last season felt weird with goals conceded anyway. I think Man City and Arsenal were normal (didn’t concede many), Liverpool conceded quite a few and then the rest of the league conceded loads - bar Everton(?). 

I think he'll improve defensively this season. But ultimately playing with another covering type centre back like Konsa doesn't get the best out of him or Konsa.

He needs to be alongside a stopper type cb that will take charge of engaging opponents while he himself backs up, and looks to cut off passing lanes, block off late runs from deep and so on.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â