Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Nah I still think we need to add one more defender if we let those 2 go. Maybe a young, promising CB for the future.

But Geertruida would go straight into the first 11 I think.

Bogarde has entered the chat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maatsen, Rogers and Ramsey are going to have the freedom of Villa Park to go nuts down that LW this season off of Pau's passing.

Knowing Pau, Konsa, Geertrudia, Kamara and Onana are there to protect the goal should really give some confidence to let them do their thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wes said:

So many of us on this forum called Geertruida an ideal RB/(potentially even CB) signing for us in Emery's system with the more defensive minded RB over the past 9 months or so.

I would go back and search - but those people know who they are. This would be great, but I would have to assume it means Cash is leaving or Ned is going on loan?

He doesn't offer us anything at CB, really. He seems to have a pathological hatred of jumping/heading the ball which means that he'll fit in with everyone else at the club except for Mings, but won't offer us what we really need 🤣

If we sell Cash, then sure, bring him in. He looks to be excellent on the ball and a top quality RB. 

3 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Do we not have a young promising CB for the future with Bogarde?🤔

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Bogarde has entered the chat

spacer.png

• Haha 1

If he is coming in surely Carlos (and not Cash) is the one heading out? He would then be covering centre back and right back rather than just right back? That would give us a lot more tactical options than we have with just Carlos.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

It is very arrogant to dismiss teams like that, West Ham will be in the pack from 5th to 9th I suspect, they have upgraded their manager and parts of their team. They don’t seem to be done either and showing some real ambition. Palace looked very good back end of last season but seem to be selling some key players, so I’m less concerned about them.

We could finish anywhere between 4th and 9th given how competitive the league is, but will be towards the lower end of that if we don’t sign the improvements we need to the team. 

Have to wait for the window to close first before we can judge properly but I can see West Ham having a good season and being in the cluster of clubs challenging for Europe. Newcastle and West Ham don't have any Europe distractions this season which will help them. 

The way I see the league at the minute is Man City and Arsenal are ahead of the rest and then from 3rd-10th it's difficult to tell but need to see how the rest of the transfer window pans out first. My main concern is Villa need to sign a defender as I can see us conceding just as many goals next season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If he is coming in surely Carlos (and not Cash) is the one heading out? He would then be covering centre back and right back rather than just right back? That would give us a lot more tactical options than we have with just Carlos.

Yeah, agreed. Him and Konsa will then alternate between RB and CB.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Did we have the same issues with them last season ?

Not really.  We conceded 10 goals in the first and last matches of the season - the Mings injury and our back 4 not playing together before (and Newcastle being expert at breaking the offside trap) contributed to the first and every player being hungover contributed to the latter.  Take those two results out and our defensive numbers aren't as bad as people make out.  We also had spells when both our LBs were injured, almost all our CBs were out or playing through niggles, etc.  Also our central midfield was unbalanced when Kamara was injured.  That's been addressed over the summer already and we'll be better at defending our back line as a result.  Then also consider that we've added some serious aerial presence and so will be much better equipped to deal with set pieces this season.  If we can stop as many crosses coming in from our right (Cash / Konsa last season) then that will help too.

We've already addressed several areas that impacted us last season.  I'd like to see us replace Carlos with someone more consistent and more aligned to the way we play or someone who is good in the air so that we can switch things up when we play teams who like to play a lot of aerial balls into the box.  But we've got the best goalkeeper in the world and an international defender to return so we've not come close to playing our starting XI for West Ham yet.  So drawing too many conclusions on pre-season when we've been playing our second / third / fourth choice keeper and third choice CB partnership is a bit weird.  Just as if we'd kept 5 clean sheets I wouldn't suggest that we should all be celebrating that we've got the best defence in the league.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Maatsen, Rogers and Ramsey are going to have the freedom of Villa Park to go nuts down that LW this season off of Pau's passing.

Knowing Pau, Konsa, Geertrudia, Kamara and Onana are there to protect the goal should really give some confidence to let them do their thing.

I think that's the key for next season, overloads against the opposition RB. We can fit all of Maatsen, Ramsey and Rogers in the same team if we're playing 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-2 so excited to see the passing and movement patterns we have down the left.

Geertruida like Hermoso would also give us the option of switching to a 3 at the back with Maatsen & Nedeljkovic as wing backs b0mbing on. Don't get that with Carlos lumbering around

Edited by _AA_786

10 minutes ago, RichW said:

Have to wait for the window to close first before we can judge properly but I can see West Ham having a good season and being in the cluster of clubs challenging for Europe. Newcastle and West Ham don't have any Europe distractions this season which will help them. 

The way I see the league at the minute is Man City and Arsenal are ahead of the rest and then from 3rd-10th it's difficult to tell but need to see how the rest of the transfer window pans out first. My main concern is Villa need to sign a defender as I can see us conceding just as many goals next season. 

Yep - I think there are 10 teams who will think they have a realistic chance of qualifying for Europe.  There will be more teams taking more points off each other for sure.  But at the same time most of my mates supporting those other 9 teams think that we've strengthened more than them this summer.  I'm still quietly confident that we'll do well - although I do think that with CL matches to fit in we're likely to finish 5th-7th.

26 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

They've got Alvarez, Soucek, Ward Prowse and Rodriguez as their midfield options, Kudus, Paqueta, Bowen and Summerville as their attacking midfield/wide options, and an absolutely lethal striker up top. Lots of depth in those positions. Defence still iffy but so is ours.

You're just letting your Villa bias get in the way as usual. 

Lethal striker? HIs stats are bang average for his entire career.

How many of their players get into our first XI (when Kamara is fit) and which Villa players would you drop?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The only way we sign the likes of Felix and Geertruida, is if Carlos, Cash, Duran all leave.

I sense we are ready to go on a lot of options but we can’t pull the trigger and put us at risk of a serious breach of FFP until we get rid of a few and their wages. 

Cash will certainly leave if we sign a RB of Geertruida's calibre.

I could see him back at Forest tbh, offer him to them in last few days of the window and they'd probably sign him for 20m. Fulham could be another option given there was nothing in the foreign links.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â