Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

It is very arrogant to dismiss teams like that, West Ham will be in the pack from 5th to 9th I suspect, they have upgraded their manager and parts of their team. They don’t seem to be done either and showing some real ambition. Palace looked very good back end of last season but seem to be selling some key players, so I’m less concerned about them.

We could finish anywhere between 4th and 9th given how competitive the league is, but will be towards the lower end of that if we don’t sign the improvements we need to the team. 

West ham have showed real ambition? 

- Onana is multiple levels above Kilman.

- Philogene is at least the equivalent of Summerville and far better for us as he’s a known quantity.

- don’t get me started again on spending 50m (inc salary) on a goal shy striker who is going to be worthless and 35 when his deal ends in 4 years time. 

- Guilherme - who knows what this kid will do. 
- Rodriguez - a 30 year old journeyman midfielder 

Quite frankly, we wouldn’t sign a single one of these players. Possibly Summerville but we clearly went with Philogene instead. 

They will be stronger but to hold them out as some beacon of ambition and implying that we aren’t - when we’ve spent the most in Europe - is ridiculous. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Not sure about others, but it really does feel like the transfer market is waiting for a few dominos to fall before multiple moves happen. Other than the Olympics, I think most players should be back with their clubs now after the various tournaments so hopefully that's a catalyst for movement.

Like most on here, I'd love another CB (or two if we sell Carlos) and to upgrade Duran if he can't get his head right.

Agreed… and it’s usually the case. One move affects another and so on…

Expecting activity to heat up quite soon.

6 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

So many of us on this forum called Geertruida an ideal RB/(potentially even CB) signing for us in Emery's system with the more defensive minded RB over the past 9 months or so.

I would go back and search - but those people know who they are. This would be great, but I would have to assume it means Cash is leaving or Ned is going on loan?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

So many of us on this forum called Geertruida an ideal RB/(potentially even CB) signing for us in Emery's system with the more defensive minded RB over the past 9 months or so.

I would go back and search - but those people know who they are. This would be great, but I would have to assume it means Cash is leaving or Ned is going on loan?

Kosta is here to stay. Given his game time and that we left Kaine go out on loan. Every interview he’s given he’s said he’s fighting for the first team. No indication of a loan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Agree we've not consistently finished high enough in the league to be able to dismiss teams like West Ham and Palace entirely but we should be aiming for targets beyond what they are.

Might be alone in this but I actually quite like what West Ham have done if you ignore some of the contracts they've given and put the players into the context of where they were;

• Manager was getting abuse for being dull so they've got a more progressive manager (although i'm not his biggest fan)
  • Defence has the big lumps some on here want us to buy. They needed a ball playing CB and they've got one at their level / in their price range
  • Replaced the calamatous Philips with an experienced free who was expected to go to Barca if they weren't broke
  • Added a young supposedly exciting unknown winger to again keep the fans happy and he may be a superstar as he was the 3rd part of the young Palmeiras trio who lots was after
  • They were crying out for an out and out striker and made moves for multiple targets. They've ended up with someone who's in form, a german international and is a good finisher. Yes he;s old but he has Bowen, Kudus etc. behind him so he needs to stay in the box

If they get some better options at both full back positions, they could be a very tidy team.

Only one I'd have liked for us was maybe Fullkrug on loan or for 10m but aside from that, I'd take our signings over theirs. 

I would too but they've not sold any of their star players which is important. If we'd kept Moussa and Dougie we'd of course have had a better window, but we sold them. Got some cracking players supplying Fullkrug as you say. 

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

West ham have showed real ambition? 

- Onana is multiple levels above Kilman.

- Philogene is at least the equivalent of Summerville and far better for us as he’s a known quantity.

- don’t get me started again on spending 50m (inc salary) on a goal shy striker who is going to be worthless and 35 when his deal ends in 4 years time. 

- Guilherme - who knows what this kid will do. 
- Rodriguez - a 30 year old journeyman midfielder 

Quite frankly, we wouldn’t sign a single one of these players. Possibly Summerville but we clearly went with Philogene instead. 

They will be stronger but to hold them out as some beacon of ambition and implying that we aren’t - when we’ve spent the most in Europe - is ridiculous. 

They've got Alvarez, Soucek, Ward Prowse and Rodriguez as their midfield options, Kudus, Paqueta, Bowen and Summerville as their attacking midfield/wide options, and an absolutely lethal striker up top. Lots of depth in those positions. Defence still iffy but so is ours.

You're just letting your Villa bias get in the way as usual. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wes said:

I know some on here have definitely mentioned him as I've heard of him and I take zero notice of any continental based football!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If we signed Geertruida, we could realistically get rid of Cash AND Carlos as he can cover both.

Nah I still think we need to add one more defender if we let those 2 go. Maybe a young, promising CB for the future.

But Geertruida would go straight into the first 11 I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wes said:

No issue in saying I was one who said that I would prefer we go for someone else when the season ended as I'm hesitant with signing any potential first team players from the Eredivisie given the gulf in quality between the leagues. Realistically though, there aren't too many top quality CB available in our price range so taking a punt on Geertruida's attributes/versaltility would make sense at this stage of the window.

The only way we sign the likes of Felix and Geertruida, is if Carlos, Cash, Duran all leave.

I sense we are ready to go on a lot of options but we can’t pull the trigger and put us at risk of a serious breach of FFP until we get rid of a few and their wages. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Nah I still think we need to add one more defender if we let those 2 go. Maybe a young, promising CB for the future.

But Geertruida would go straight into the first 11 I think.

Do we not have a young promising CB for the future with Bogarde?🤔

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â