Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Does anyone have an idea of our budget and what we can doors to spend before facing any kind of repercussions or punishment? The PSR discussion is going to rear its ugly head agin…

It’s almost certain that we don’t have the budget to spend £60m on a defender or any other single player. 

As per the FFP thread, we almost certainly have to sell a lot more than we buy in 24/25 season, so almost no chance we pay over £35m for any one player doesn’t matter how good he potentially can be. 

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Konsa playing at RB was less about Unai not considering him as our starting CB and more about him preferring him over Matty in certain games.

A trusted , solid starting RB sees Konsa back at CB imo.

Whether he considers Ned that yet I'm not sure.

I’m not sure I totally agree JV.  I think Emery, like a number of elite managers, likes the three CB’s and one bombing on FB system.  It gives solid base to defending but when attacking the CB’s move along sideways and it allows the fullback (in our case LB)to bomb on or an extra body in midfield. I get the Matty Cash argument but I don’t think Emery did it always because of that, I think he likes the FB, 3 CB’s combo.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It’s almost certain that we don’t have the budget to spend £60m on a defender or any other single player. 

As per the FFP thread, we almost certainly have to sell a lot more than we buy in 24/25 season, so almost no chance we pay over £35m for any one player doesn’t matter how good he potentially can be. 

£60m is just an extra £12m per year to the P&L in 24/25.

£35m is £7m per year to the P&L so you are talking about £5m difference in 24/25 season.  I don’t think that extra amount will be the difference re PSR in us doing another big deal if we wanted.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

See I’m not saying buy Guehi but I think we need to bring in either a top notch CB or RB depending where Emery wants to play Konsa.  

Guehi was the discussion by others. I’m not bothered by the name but if it was us linked with a 24 year old Guehi, England International, top quality CB who would be a very low risk purchase and would hit the ground running in arguably our weakest area (conceding goals) and we would have to spend our budget on it…. OR.  we risk paying less for somebody who hasn’t played in the PL, might take time to adapt and all the other risk factors but we’d have £20m to spend elsewhere because this player would only cost £40m….then I’d say get Guehi because of the low risk, easy to settle, hit the ground running in our problem area. It’s a no brainer for me.  

We aren’t in for Guehi so it doesn’t matter but we need to sort out that RCB/RB with quality and there doesn’t seem many options out there and we did just spend £37.5m on a LB so it’s not unreasonable to spend big on a position. If you had told us at the end of the season we’d spend £37.5m on a LB we would’ve all laughed both by the price and the fact we already have two left backs so….

Oh ok, I’m with you in terms of where we need to strengthen. But again, it’s crazy money and I don’t think we can afford it rn or allocate our budget like that (and there will be huge wages to go with the huge transfer fee too - I don’t think the player justifies it either).

In terms of experience or being ready to go, the CBs we have all have that and I wouldn’t consider any of them to be poor players. Pau and Konsa are great together and brilliant CBs imo with varying strengths but there is an aerial deficiency or vulnerability there (that Maddison goal still haunts me, when he got in between them. However, they have looked great most of the time when they’ve partnered each other). 

For both Mings and Carlos (to a lesser degree) I think physical issues or concerns are the greater question rather than ability. If Ty can return as he was… that would be massive. But we cannot know on that although Unai recently mentioning him is encouraging…

I’ve never been onboard with the PL experience argument either… I prefer us to utilise high level scouting and identify the best talent, potential and value out there. That’s why we employ these people…

You can overpay for a “home” player aswell who does not have the potential/capacity that someone from another league could… the home player may be more suitable right now but not turn out as good as the other player who could quickly become way better.

Do we have to go for “ready made” when we do have good options rn? Maybe Carlos leaves but then we still have Pau and Konsa backed up by Mings (🤞)… so maybe we can take that “risk” and save a lot of money while we do it…

Anyway… whatever Unai wants 😆

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

Sure he might play right back- he does a job there. But I’d be surprised if that’s where Emery sees konsa’s long term position being given he is better at CB. Remember as well that earlier in the season Emery liked to see Kamara drop into RCB with konsa in the centre and Torres at LCB. It’s not beyond the realm of reason that he does something like that again once kamara returns or even with onana given his physicality.

Either way it doesn’t make economic sense to make guehi our record transfer when we can have a more balanced first eleven using the money elsewhere 

That’s a great point and something easily overlooked or forgotten.

The only question I have over a Pau and Konsa (love and rate both of them) is are they dominant and aerially proficient enough?

And if not, what is the solution? Seems like the short term one was Ezri at RB but we don’t know what the long term plan is.

Carlos was involved, particularly in the bigger/tougher games, for a reason.

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

I personally think we have bigger problems in CM (no Luiz replacement) and RB (which it looks like you actually agree with?) than CB, at least for the first eleven. 

The way we have solidified midfield and added physicality and options is going to help us be better defensively and concede less too… a better screen/protection for the defence too.

It’s not just on the defenders to do all of the defending… this might really help them and bring about an improvement in their own form.

Not just him but… Onana is going to be a big help.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I doubt we are going to buy another CM at all.  Tielemans and Onana will be that middle, with Barkley and Barrenechea as back up, with Kamara to come in NY.  I can’t see us buying another CM at all.

Agreed, if we’re bringing in a creative player and boosting that side of the team… I believe it will be a 10. The wide players and the player supporting Ollie will need to put more of a shift in, in that sense while the midfield prioritises being rock solid imo.

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think Konsa playing at RB was less about Unai not considering him as our starting CB and more about him preferring him over Matty in certain games.

A trusted , solid starting RB sees Konsa back at CB imo.

Whether he considers Ned that yet I'm not sure.

I remember Unai speaking about Ezri in glowing terms on Sky… saying something along the lines of “he does not know how good he can be”…

Feels like that leans toward what you are saying perhaps… maybe it’s all about developing him into that elite CB and adding more strings to his bow.

So a tough RB is maybe what we’re really after or need… I do have a really positive feeling about Nedeljkovic though… 

Seems like Cash is valued at the club too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Still think we should go for Branthwaite. Everton’s take over has broken down, they’re almost certainly going to have to sell. 

We're not spending +50m on CB cover. 

3 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Still think we should go for Branthwaite. Everton’s take over has broken down, they’re almost certainly going to have to sell. 

This is where I'm at. If we go for anyone in defence and we've got the funds, go all out for him. Guehi is a faster but otherwise worse version of Konsa. Branthwaite fits the profile of signing we've made this season and would fit the style of play perfectly. I would expect that type of signing to signal the end of Mings career at Villa though. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

This is where I'm at. If we go for anyone in defence and we've got the funds, go all out for him. Guehi is a faster but otherwise worse version of Konsa. Branthwaite fits the profile of signing we've made this season and would fit the style of play perfectly. I would expect that type of signing to signal the end of Mings career at Villa though. 

What's happened to Torres? Do you know our league record when he played last season? Manure want Branthwaite, Everton want £70m it's not happening

No chance on spending mad money on a backup defender imho. We’ll sign a Callum Chambers or a Lenglet or a Wan-Bissaka for £15m or so.

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What if we do one of our special swap deals?

Would they like Dendoncker or Hause or Archer (on loan) or Moreno/Digne?

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

No chance on spending mad money on a backup defender imho. We’ll sign a Callum Chambers 

Ah man, he’s coming back already! 😱

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Honestly don’t see him as just CB cover, he’ll be pushing for the first team. Especially if Carlos goes and Mings won’t be match fit for months. Can play CB either in a three or in the matches Konsa moves to RB. 

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What's happened to Torres? Do you know our league record when he played last season? Manure want Branthwaite, Everton want £70m it's not happening

Man Utd have just spent £60m+ on Jorro plus they are in the process of signing de ligt. They’re not getting Branthwaite. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â