Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Guehi is not worth it for us. Pau is arguably a less good defender but is really important to how we play with the ball, even more so without Luiz. Konsa is better than guehi on basically every metric. And he’s way too expensive to be a squad player 

• Confused 1

Just now, JPJCB said:

Guehi is not worth it for us. Pau is arguably a less good defender but is really important to how we play with the ball, even more so without Luiz. Konsa is better than guehi on basically every metric. And he’s way too expensive to be a squad player 

Konsa has played RB for us last season mainly, why do people expect Emery to move him back.  We haven’t really got any change in a starting RB coming in so currently I’m assuming Konsa continues there so we still have Carlos starting at CB which needs to be upgraded.

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yes he would be mate, he's far too good to be a sub, he'd play with Torres in the middle and Konsa would be at right back where he played for a lot of last season.

I'm not saying he'd be a sub, but similarly I don't think Emery would switch Konsa to full back full time. He likes different options for different opponents, so the rcb that comes in would need to be someone who might not play every game. As a result it's too much to spend on someone like Guehi. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I'm not saying he'd be a sub, but similarly I don't think Emery would switch Konsa to full back full time. He likes different options for different opponents, so the rcb that comes in would need to be someone who might not play every game. As a result it's too much to spend on someone like Guehi. 

Why? You are reducing Emery’s options if you don’t buy a quality alternative as you’d then never be able to play Konsa at RB because you’d severely weaken your CB duo.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Konsa has played RB for us last season mainly, why do people expect Emery to move him back.  We haven’t really got any change in a starting RB coming in so currently I’m assuming Konsa continues there so we still have Carlos starting at CB which needs to be upgraded.

Sure he might play right back- he does a job there. But I’d be surprised if that’s where Emery sees konsa’s long term position being given he is better at CB. Remember as well that earlier in the season Emery liked to see Kamara drop into RCB with konsa in the centre and Torres at LCB. It’s not beyond the realm of reason that he does something like that again once kamara returns or even with onana given his physicality.

Either way it doesn’t make economic sense to make guehi our record transfer when we can have a more balanced first eleven using the money elsewhere 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why? You are reducing Emery’s options if you don’t buy a quality alternative as you’d then never be able to play Konsa at RB because you’d severely weaken your CB duo.

Or you could buy a quality right back abd negate the need to move Konsa at all

1 minute ago, JPJCB said:

Sure he might play right back- he does a job there. But I’d be surprised if that’s where Emery sees konsa’s long term position being given he is better at CB. Remember as well that earlier in the season Emery liked to see Kamara drop into RCB with konsa in the centre and Torres at LCB. It’s not beyond the realm of reason that he does something like that again once kamara returns or even with onana given his physicality.

Either way it doesn’t make economic sense to make guehi our record transfer when we can have a more balanced first eleven using the money elsewhere 

Like where? Our most vulnerable place left is in defence, we conceded far too many goals last season.  The one area we are unbalanced is defence so I’d argue having Maatsen, Pau, Guehi and Konsa along with the rest of the team makes us balanced more so than spending elsewhere.

That would be the best option as we all want Konsa in the middle but Emery plays an attacking left back and a defensive right back so whether we like it or not Konsa is likely to continue playing right back.

And Guehi replacing Carlos in the lineup is a hell of an upgrade.

• Like 1

I agree, I was just arguing the point that buying Guehi could be a great move and him, Konsa and Pau would play or we could buy a top RB and Konsa moves back to the middle. I don’t care which as long as we buy either a top RCB or top RB, then Konsa takes the other position.

Just now, Leeroy said:

That would be the best option as we all want Konsa in the middle but Emery plays an attacking left back and a defensive right back so whether we like it or not Konsa is likely to continue playing right back.

And Guehi replacing Carlos in the lineup is a hell of an upgrade.

I dont disagree on that being an upgrade, but I'd be amazed if you can't sign a defensive right back who suits our system for far less than the £60 million you'd need to spend on Guehi.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Like where? Our most vulnerable place left is in defence, we conceded far too many goals last season.  The one area we are unbalanced is defence so I’d argue having Maatsen, Pau, Guehi and Konsa along with the rest of the team makes us balanced more so than spending elsewhere.

I personally think we have bigger problems in CM (no Luiz replacement) and RB (which it looks like you actually agree with?) than CB, at least for the first eleven. 

Edited by JPJCB

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

I dont disagree on that being an upgrade, but I'd be amazed if you can't sign a defensive right back who suits our system for far less than the £60 million you'd need to spend on Guehi.

Maybe but we’ve just spent £37.5m on a LB so we may not get much change on a RB from the £60m to be honest if we want an almost no risk purchase would be.

2 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I personally think we have bigger problems in CM (no Luiz replacement) and RB (which it looks like you actually agree with?) than CB, at least for the first eleven. 

I doubt we are going to buy another CM at all.  Tielemans and Onana will be that middle, with Barkley and Barrenechea as back up, with Kamara to come in NY.  I can’t see us buying another CM at all.

• Like 2

Bit shocked we are or have been discussing spending £60m+ on a CB… that’s crazy money. At that price, the player would need to be world class or with the clear potential to be imo. 

We don’t need to spend anything like that (Can we? Would we?)… there are options out there that are very good and can become much better at a fraction of the price.

I really don’t think we’re in a place to be spending that kind of money on a defender anyway… but if we did, it would need to be a game changer or guarantee and better than what we have. Someone either or on the way to becoming world/top class for us.

What did we spend on Pau and Carlos? Around 30m and 25m? I’m sure we could get someone really good for that price (even less), or even stretch to something like 40 for someone outstanding but over 60??? 😧

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Serious question - if we bought Guehi for £60m would he be first choice? Or would you play Konsa and Pau?

And that's why we won't be paying £60m for Guehi.... We're not there (yet) as a club

We can't spend that money on a Carlos replacement, that's a star first teamer money 

It’s crazy money and a ludicrous suggestion. 
Stupid English tax.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Bit shocked we are or have been discussing spending £60m+ on a CB… that’s crazy money. At that price, the player would need to be world class or with the clear potential to be imo. 

We don’t need to spend anything like that (Can we? Would we?)… there are options out there that are very good and can become much better at a fraction of the price.

I really don’t think we’re in a place to be spending that kind of money on a defender anyway… but if we did, it would need to be a game changer or guarantee and better than what we have. Someone either or on the way to becoming world/top class for us.

What did we spend on Pau and Carlos? Around 30m and 25m? I’m sure we could get someone really good for that price (even less), or even stretch to something like 40 for someone outstanding but over 60??? 😧

So if we brought Guehi and then Felix on a loan to buy, then that’s it, would you be happy?

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So if we brought Guehi and then Felix on a loan to buy, then that’s it, would you be happy?

Sorry, I don’t get the origin or reasoning for the question? In response to my post, I mean.

I think it would be mad and unrealistic for us to spend north of 60m on a CB.

I would be happy if we signed a quality CB and 10 (I don’t think we need much more rn but I always welcome signings, especially when they are Unai targets) but the finances also need to be right - and that’s how we operate.

And forwards/attackers are generally (within sense/reason, I know there are (stupid?) exceptions) more expensive than defenders - especially those with high quality and/or potential.

We can’t be reckless with our spending and I don’t believe we will at all. Even if I entertained the idea at all, surely we can get better for that price? I think we could get better for a lot less too though…

I’ve always assumed that our scouting team prioritises value and potential, but that’s not to say we won’t make an exception for a big signing or something that could help or even transform us - such as Onana.

I think we’re unlikely to spend (much) more than what we did on Maatsen for any defender though. And the question/debate is do we want to sign another option (such as a younger player with high potential) or a starter to take over from a starting CB and make us stronger?

Does anyone have an idea of our budget and what we can doors to spend before facing any kind of repercussions or punishment? The PSR discussion is going to rear its ugly head agin…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think Konsa playing at RB was less about Unai not considering him as our starting CB and more about him preferring him over Matty in certain games.

A trusted , solid starting RB sees Konsa back at CB imo.

Whether he considers Ned that yet I'm not sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sorry, I don’t get the origin or reasoning for the question? In response to my post, I mean.

I think it would be mad and unrealistic for us to spend north of 60m on a CB.

I would be happy if we signed a quality CB and 10 (I don’t think we need much more rn but I always welcome signings, especially when they are Unai targets) but the finances also need to be right - and that’s how we operate.

And forwards/attackers are generally (within sense/reason, I know there are (stupid?) exceptions) more expensive than defenders - especially those with high quality and/or potential.

We can’t be reckless with our spending and I don’t believe we will at all. Even if I entertained the idea at all, surely we can get better for that price? I think we could get better for a lot less too though…

I’ve always assumed that our scouting team prioritises value and potential, but that’s not to say we won’t make an exception for a big signing or something that could help or even transform us - such as Onana.

I think we’re unlikely to spend (much) more than what we did on Maatsen for any defender though. And the question/debate is do we want to sign another option (such as a younger player with high potential) or a starter to take over from a starting CB and make us stronger?

Does anyone have an idea of our budget and what we can doors to spend before facing any kind of repercussions or punishment? The PSR discussion is going to rear its ugly head agin…

See I’m not saying buy Guehi but I think we need to bring in either a top notch CB or RB depending where Emery wants to play Konsa.  

Guehi was the discussion by others. I’m not bothered by the name but if it was us linked with a 24 year old Guehi, England International, top quality CB who would be a very low risk purchase and would hit the ground running in arguably our weakest area (conceding goals) and we would have to spend our budget on it…. OR.  we risk paying less for somebody who hasn’t played in the PL, might take time to adapt and all the other risk factors but we’d have £20m to spend elsewhere because this player would only cost £40m….then I’d say get Guehi because of the low risk, easy to settle, hit the ground running in our problem area. It’s a no brainer for me.  

We aren’t in for Guehi so it doesn’t matter but we need to sort out that RCB/RB with quality and there doesn’t seem many options out there and we did just spend £37.5m on a LB so it’s not unreasonable to spend big on a position. If you had told us at the end of the season we’d spend £37.5m on a LB we would’ve all laughed both by the price and the fact we already have two left backs so….

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â