Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Better defensively, but he isn't very good defensively anyway, he is supspect. If we want a good defensive left back we should sign Hermoso. We also have the option of Pau or Ming filling in there if we need a defensive option. Maatsen is similar to Digne defensively, but he has time on his side to get better. 

Maatsen is a better passer than both Moreno and Digne, a better mover than Digne, and a better defender than Moreno, which is why he will end up first choice.

Mings doesn't play left back anymore since that is what caused his first injury troubles. Given he's now recovering from another injury caused by making a tackle when he was at a left back location on the pitch,  I think it's safe to assume he will never play left back for us. 

Pau hasn't looked good playing left back either, so that would be a concern if we were forced down that route. I don't see that happening except in an emergency anyway.

• Like 1

But a back up on 125k a week, who is suspect defensively, and while a good crosser offers little else going forward doesn't make sense to me. If he was on the 60k Moreno is on I would pick all day. But 125k of wages gets us a really good player.

But the problem there is 125m is kind of the price of a player for where we are now. If we were still the mid-lower table team that we were when Digne joined then 125m would be vastly over priced for where we would be, and he should go. As it is, the kind of players we are looking at to improve a CL team would cost that kind of money wage-wise. I know what you're saying about him being a back-up but I'm not too sure that's all he'd be. He'll play plenty of games for us, and wouldn't be surprised to see him nailing down a regular LB slot over Maatsen.

3 minutes ago, peterw said:

But the problem there is 125m is kind of the price of a player for where we are now. If we were still the mid-lower table team that we were when Digne joined then 125m would be vastly over priced for where we would be, and he should go. As it is, the kind of players we are looking at to improve a CL team would cost that kind of money wage-wise. I know what you're saying about him being a back-up but I'm not too sure that's all he'd be. He'll play plenty of games for us, and wouldn't be surprised to see him nailing down a regular LB slot over Maatsen.

I know Digne wages are excessive, but 125m a week is taking the joke a bit too far

Edited by MrBlack
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’d love us to sign Tommy Conway from Bristol City as back up striker 

Why? His numbers don’t look great even at that low level to come to a European place level team.

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

What do you think needs to happen? Thoughts on the window so far? 

I think what needs to happen is that supporters Trust the people at the club who turned us from relegation potential to CL qualifiers in 18 months. 
And if anyone on here thinks they are better than Unai, Monchi and Co, then you need help!

People still seem to forget that our first choice 11 last season were title challengers, who almost went top at Christmas - it was just a home draw against Sheffield United that stopped us.

So our first team are quite good!
What fell apart is the squad depth. Which we have addressed.

Personally, I think that Maatsen and Onana improve the first 11 with speed, height and power. We'll miss Dougie, but be better off with the power of Onana, and others will replace the creativity.
Diaby was not in our best starting 11.
And we will benefit massively from the return of Buendia, Ramsey and Mings, as well as the progress players like Rogers will continue to make this season. 

We also need to remember that some of our 'untouchables' have returned this week - Martinez, Konsa, Watkins. These are players we can not replace on current budgets - and will improve the team immeasurably compared to pre-season so far.

• Like 3

I like the look of both Zych and Gauci, but both need time, and games. They need to go on loan, we should keep Olsen and sign another experienced keeper (that is better than Olsen).

For the champions league squad the best option is to keep Zych as our 3rd choice keeper because he is classed as a homegrown or underage player so is effectively a free selection. Our squad is currently over the permitted limits so getting an extra squad slot back would allow us to register an additional outfield player who would obviously play and contribute far more than a 3rd choice GK ever would.

• Like 2

With Dobbin going on loan, and Felix seemingly not interested in coming here, who else might we be lining up in that position? I imagine if we wanted Felix we won't just go with noone instead. 

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

With Dobbin going on loan, and Felix seemingly not interested in coming here, who else might we be lining up in that position? I imagine if we wanted Felix we won't just go with noone instead. 

Who's this Noone you mention? 🤔

Always rated him! 

• Haha 2

Flicking through recent pages, I don't know who needs to read this but you know it is possible to think Monchi and Emery are geniuses, that the past 2 years has been an amazing journey, that last season was our best in a generation,  feel incredibly optimistic and at the same time express the opinion on this forum that we are a player or two short in key positions! Otherwise why bother having any discussion.

I am confident the club are working on things but as a fan surely it is OK to express opinions about what I think about potential sales and potential purchases!

Edited by Captain_Townsend

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Feeney off now on loan too

Looks like we might be sorting out all the young players going out on loan this week now the teams back from America. Should give us a better idea of the squad moving forwards

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Who's this Noone you mention? 🤔

Always rated him! 

Too late, Chelsea have already bid £60m for him…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Not the same position but Alex Baena would be nice. 

30 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Beier

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â