Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Gomez would actually have to play to do that.

Gomez is more likely to be Hause's "DJ'ing down with the beats" brother, than actually be able to play a full season of football.

I love Gomez. My favorite band from Southport. Saw them live in NZ not long ago

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yet Donk is still here, hence the bloated squad. Yet to be seen if Maatsen is an upgrade on Digne, who has been a consistent performer for us and we now have 3 senior left backs. 
We have Iling Junior and Dobbin in the squad yet people keep saying we can’t buy anyone until we move a player on. We moved Diaby on but haven’t got another in.

There is time left of course but I’d be surprised if this is how Monchi and Emery wanted things to look 10 days before the start of the season.

But there’s the best part of a month left before the window closes so we’re only just halfway through with other clubs doing very little. I think they have things under control.

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

i really don't get the signing of barkley and illing Jr

Our two starting left backs last season are both 31. Iling-Junior can play on the wing and as a full-back. He can cover Maatsen and overlap too. 

44 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Our midfielders on the bench last season at times were Tim, dendonker and chambers. The barkley signing at 5 million made complete sense. 

So long as he doesn't start much, it's fine. If we end up I'm a situation where he needs to, I despair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Enzo needs to be around our first team, he needs to integrate and assimilate in to the Villa Way.....He is good enough, to work with, and trust in doing that.

💯 

From zero DMs to DM city 😆

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Our two starting left backs last season are both 31. Iling-Junior can play on the wing and as a full-back. He can cover Maatsen and overlap too. 

I understand he's played wing back. Not a single game at FB according to transfermarkt. Majority LM from memory without looking again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I hope it's a bulldog as opposed to a Rabbit.

Rabbit/hare might be better, more speed, energy and no breathing problems (like Youri occasionally seems to have and Ross, inc the profuse sweating).

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Our midfielders on the bench last season at times were Tim, dendonker and chambers. The barkley signing at 5 million made complete sense. 

Yes I think Emery used Chambers about 5 to 10 times but would have liked to have played him in parts of about 20 games. Just didn't trust his output. Barkley would be more than competent to come in for that numbers of matches. 

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Kind of makes sense to convert Iling-Jr to a LB (Unai likes attacking ones) and the Maatsen alternative/backup and have better and more skilled players at LM.

He seems more suited to that role and his defensive stats are not bad iirc. Still young and full of potential and development.

Sell one of Moreno and Digne then phase one of them out while Sam develops and then takes over, but Maatsen will likely be the undisputed LB for a long while.

Or we could even sell the pair if there is enough genuine interest.

I think Barkley showing signs of just come back from holiday and well off the pace. He should be fine later on

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Yes I think Emery used Chambers about 5 to 10 times but would have liked to have played him in parts of about 20 games. Just didn't trust his output. Barkley would be more than competent to come in for that numbers of matches. 

I mean, I think that’s what most/many of us would prefer but I also doubt whether Ross would’ve joined and agreed to play such a bit part. If Luton get promoted again, we’d likely have at least one interested party if we wanted to offload him in future.

He will probably surprise quite a few once he gets in his groove and play a fair bit, just hasn’t shown much in preseason and looks like his old sweaty and tired self.

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think Barkley showing signs of just come back from holiday and well off the pace. He should be fine later on

Yeah, it’s the case for most. We won’t see anything near their best for a little while.

Rust to work off.

Edited by Jas10

People aren’t viewing this as a squad game.

What we’ve done this window is bring in (generally) potentially quality, younger players which reinforce the squad as you’ve highlighted above. Barkley is an experienced campaigner who had a brilliant season at Luton and cost relative pittance.

In the first team itself, we’ve sold Luiz and brought in Onana (personally, I think that’s a net gain for us) and sold Diaby and brought in Philogene (which, personally, I think is a net loss). There isn’t much change to our strongest eleven - though Maatsen may well push Digne/Moreno.

As a squad, we’ve lost Zaniolo, Lenglet, Chambers and Iroegbunam and replaced them with Iling Jr, Barrenechea, Barkley, Nedeljkovic (earlier signing). We then have Mings and Buendia to come back at some point.

I’m not seeing the part that makes us somewhat weaker. Squad upheaval is always a bit risky and it rarely leads to immediate success but, to me at least, we’ve improved the squad as a whole if not the starting eleven in particular. That will stand us in good stead for a (possibly) more game-heavy season…

…and now I think we’re looking to bring in 1 or 2 faces to improve the first team; which is always more difficult as they have to be very good players which clubs don’t want to sell.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 4

The question of whether we’re weaker would be relevant in terms of creativity (chance creation and passing quality) and set piece ability/delivery. We will have to see who steps up in that sense (don’t think we can accurately make that call right now) and will likely see at least another signing to help us on that side. 

In terms of being stronger, we have more and better quality depth and we have added physicality and defensive steel to the midfield. Let’s see if we do that in defence too. We may be able to afford some/more rotation and lessen the risk of fatigue and injury - especially to the extent that we witnessed last season.

Window does not close til the 30th, there is plenty of time and a lot going on that we aren’t privy too. Social media is not going to give us all the answers and revelations, mostly a lot of BS to have to wade or filter through to get to anything worthwhile or truthful.

Edited by Jas10

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

i really don't get the signing of barkley and illing Jr

Do you remember towards the end of last season when we were using Chambers, Bailey and Cash in midfield? That's your reason.

• Like 2

Right now, we have a stronger squad than last season that needs pruning in fact. But, right now, we cannot put out a first eleven that is as strong as our first eleven was between August and December of last season. That's how I see it and why I would have taken the money for Duran.

The season soon starts and we know Emery likes to drill his system.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

I love Gomez. My favorite band from Southport. Saw them live in NZ not long ago

I remember ‘’whippin’ Piccadilly’’ which I think was their biggest hit?

We do need to move on a left back and Dendonker. I am still hopeful of signing Felix. We're good to go then if we expect Mings back in late September. I'd still like more CB cover tbh 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â