Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think it would be dangerous to decide which of those two would be kept based on pre-season. Only one of those is going out on loan if any, and they fill very different roles in the system anyway, not to mention their physical attributes, mental attributes, language barrier, age, experience, form in the previous season. 

Oh I agree but Enzo has impressed more from the little of what we’ve seen, neither will go out on loan. We have numbers and options in midfield now. Not letting anyone go other than Dendoncker there.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2024 at 21:59, Jas10 said:

Just gonna throw some CB names out there for more knowledgeable people to discuss n debate on:

Schlotterbeck

Silva

Those two are my favorites by far, but for some reason both of them played badly in their minutes in the Eurocup.

Just now, Daulmakan said:

Those two are my favorites by far, but for some reason both of them played badly in their minutes in the Eurocup.

Probably (amongst) most difficult and expensive to get too 😆

Saw an article from a questionable source that seemed to be suggesting we could swap Carlos for Bade or Nianzou of Sevilla?

It’s hard to think of dominant and attainable/affordable CBs that we could attract.

No further mention of Bijol…

5 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Apart from Chiesa… anyone worth a look out of this lot?

IMG-0128.jpg

Given how long we were in negotiations with Juventus, and that McKennie was originally on our list then wasn't, I have to believe that they made us aware of all these when we were talking about Enzo and Iling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Not especially happy with the window overall so far because we've let a couple of good players go from our squad and seemingly replaced them with some bloating. 

There's a lot of unknowns in the squad now but if the lads we've brought in prove themselves to be good enough then it's gone well. If they aren't showing enough for Emery to trust them in a league game I'd rather they were loaned out until they're ready. Iling-Junior, Dobbin and Barrenechea especially. 

The biggest issue for me is the window was all fun and exciting until it got to August and you're looking around and seeing how few people have gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the following are out in a month: Carlos, Digne/Moreno, Olsen, Kesler, Hause, Dendonker, Archer, Duran, Richards. 

Maybe shift some out on loan like Barrenechea, Dobbin, Zych, Bogarde and a few others like Sousa, Patterson or Young. 

We need a big squad to attack on four fronts this season. But the squad needs packing with players you can trust to rotate into the side, like a Jaden or Ross or Amadou. The rest I'm not sure on. 

If anything its the other way round and im not sure on barkley and more comfortable with Enzo, Enzo has not showed hes ready for plenty first team action either but Ross has been terrible, Philogene is definitely not ready for any champions league action hes showed nothing, been impressed with Kosta,Onana and Maatsen only. 

34 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

You’re entitled to your opinion and of course in a perfect world we’d want to win every game even in pre season but there are many reasons to be positive.

- Maatsen and Onana are significant upgrades. Onana is a different profile to Dougie but his physical presence alone helps us deal significantly with our biggest weakness last season on set pieces.
- it’s a squad game and Barkley and Enzo coupled with Ramsey, Buendia and Philogene give us significantly better depth compared to last season. 
- Performances have been disjointed due to the missing international players and the time the new players need to adjust to Emery ball. 
- Emery will have used the US tour  to assess exactly which players can contribute this year and which need to be loaned out or potentially moved on. 
- There should be more signings to come but we need to be prepared that these may only happen after we sell players due mainly to the registration issues. Now that everyone is getting back from their tours the market should start to heat up. 

I suspect we’ll have a much clearer view after Dortmund but would guess that arrivals may be late in the window meaning a bit of a choppy start to the season but hopefully we hit our stride fully after the first international break. 

i really don't get the signing of barkley and illing Jr

• Like 1

Barkley is there as a cheap huge upgrade on Donks. Barkley’s numbers last season for Luton were insane so even if he’s just average he will at least allow a rotation option to avoid having to play other midfielders all the time.

Illing junior is curious I agree. The only logic I can see is that he is a unique profile in the squad - a left winger that will hug the line as opposed to Ramsey and Rogers who will come into more central areas. I guess they see huge potential due to the raw qualities he has. 

• Like 2

Seal up the 2024 transfer window like this Monchi/Emery Please 🙏

INS

Fermin Lopez 🇪🇸   
Joao Felix 🇵🇹  
Jean Clair-Todibo 🇫🇷 

OUTS

Alex Moreno 🇪🇸 
Jhon Duran  🇨🇴 
Diego Carlos 🇧🇷  
Leander Dendocker 🇧🇪 
Lewis Dobbin (loan) 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿  

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

If anything its the other way round and im not sure on barkley and more comfortable with Enzo, Enzo has not showed hes ready for plenty first team action either but Ross has been terrible, Philogene is definitely not ready for any champions league action hes showed nothing, been impressed with Kosta,Onana and Maatsen only. 

Tielemans last season began bad. Torres took a while until he was one of the most important players. Diaby was up and down whole season. I don’t think we can judge by the preseason. Even good players from last season didn’t have good games.

The thing with Enzo is that he’s atleast good defensively, so with him and Onana I think we can be hard to score against. That can give us some breath to build up in our games. 

Something needs to be factored as well, players such Jaden, Iling, Archer…etc all are willing to impress to give themselves a chance, this can put some pressure on them, which make some terrible decisions. 

Actually you could sense that even from Onana, who’s place is almost secured for now. 
I can’t say I’m not worried, but the worry more than preseason is our form regressing since Dec, that showed we needed to improve. Things might’ve been easier with Luiz staying, but still it had to be fixed. 
For now our first 11 are better than last season no doubt, I think most of us rate Ramsey more than Diaby. Without Kamara I think Onana is more reliable than Luiz as a DM. Maatsen should be better than the others (but they’re still there). Then you’ve got a stronger bench. Theoretically we’re no doubt better. But how will we balance it? Still lot of work to be done.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sounds like something a Tayls clone would say to cover the scent of a Tayls clone 🤔😎😂

👀

Nope, I’m super positive now. A changed man. I’ve been convinced by the happy cheerful posters, such as @Kiwivillan

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Barkley is nothing more then a backup. If he starts regularly we're in trouble. Still alot to play out , but issue for me is that we haven't strengthen the areas we needed and players sold. CB big issue for me wasn't impressed with Emery saying we're covered there Mings a big question mark, Carlos is just to clumsy. Diaby replacement still hasn't come , Duran we don't know what's going on and is Archer the backup to Watkins. Central midfield playmaker is another area we need.

Is this side better for the players sold ? I say no .Maybe more depth , but we lost 2 quality players and maybe Onana is the only one who looks real quality.

Edited by ozvilla28

5 hours ago, TomC said:

Given how long we were in negotiations with Juventus, and that McKennie was originally on our list then wasn't, I have to believe that they made us aware of all these when we were talking about Enzo and Iling.

Potentially yes - although wasn’t Motta only just being appointed when the Luiz deal was happening? So timeline might not match up. However, you’re right in that it’s very unlikely we make a move for any of these. 

I'm guessing the Felix decision is stalling our transfer window. Emery is a fan and may be prepared to wait it out to get him.

Regardless of incomings we need to move Dendoncker and make a decision on Digne/Moreno.

What happens with Carlos and Duran is anyone's guess.

59 minutes ago, Villa Gaffa said:

I'm guessing the Felix decision is stalling our transfer window. Emery is a fan and may be prepared to wait it out to get him.

Regardless of incomings we need to move Dendoncker and make a decision on Digne/Moreno.

What happens with Carlos and Duran is anyone's guess.

I could be wrong but I think signing Felix was probably dependant on Duran leaving. That's looking unlikely now as West Ham move seems off and nobody else seems interested. 

5 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Barkley is there as a cheap huge upgrade on Donks. Barkley’s numbers last season for Luton were insane so even if he’s just average he will at least allow a rotation option to avoid having to play other midfielders all the time.

Illing junior is curious I agree. The only logic I can see is that he is a unique profile in the squad - a left winger that will hug the line as opposed to Ramsey and Rogers who will come into more central areas. I guess they see huge potential due to the raw qualities he has. 

Yet Donk is still here, hence the bloated squad. Yet to be seen if Maatsen is an upgrade on Digne, who has been a consistent performer for us and we now have 3 senior left backs. 
We have Iling Junior and Dobbin in the squad yet people keep saying we can’t buy anyone until we move a player on. We moved Diaby on but haven’t got another in.

There is time left of course but I’d be surprised if this is how Monchi and Emery wanted things to look 10 days before the start of the season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Oh I agree but Enzo has impressed more from the little of what we’ve seen, neither will go out on loan. We have numbers and options in midfield now. Not letting anyone go other than Dendoncker there.

Enzo needs to be around our first team, he needs to integrate and assimilate in to the Villa Way.....He is good enough, to work with, and trust in doing that.

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Smoke today, fire tomorrow cos it's wednesday, reckon Monchi pulls something out of his hat

I hope it's a bulldog as opposed to a Rabbit.

7 hours ago, skarroki said:

I think it would be dangerous to decide which of those two would be kept based on pre-season. Only one of those is going out on loan if any, and they fill very different roles in the system anyway, not to mention their physical attributes, mental attributes, language barrier, age, experience, form in the previous season. 

The fact that we have both and both can play is a big plus for me. It shows that we've got so much more depth in midfield now. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â