Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I understand what you're getting at here but I just think we have to balance the squad effectively. Watkins is likely going to be our main man for the next 4 or 5 years still. 

Unless we do something remarkable this season or if Ollie’s numbers drop off, I think he’ll be after a move next summer, last chance for a big move for him I’d think 

42 minutes ago, ender4 said:

If you ignore the ins and outs of youth players and players who don't play...   

We have lost Luiz and Diaby

We have gained Onana and Maatsen and possibly Philogene.

I think that makes our first team weaker so far. Hopefully Monchi pulls something out of the bag in the next two weeks!

I think it is more accurate to say that these transfers make us stronger in some regards and leave us weaker in others. We are stronger defensively and in the air, with Onana rather than Douglas Luiz, but lack his ball playing skills. Maatsen is of similar quality to Digne and Moreno, but is much younger and will improve still. If we had played Diaby on the right wing we would feel his loss more, but we played him centrally and others like Tielemans, McGinn, Buendia and Rogers are just as effective there. Philogene will be great back up to Bailey and will continue to improve. Honestly, I think increasing the strength and defensive qualities of our midfield is more beneficial than the losses from departures. We are different to last year, but not worse overall in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

All you'd be doing by replacing Duran with another young striker with potential is showing that you'd not learned any lessons and finding yourself in the same spot in 6 months time. 

You’re saying this like it’s a bad thing? If it wasn’t for Duran wanting to leave (or an attitude problem, whatever it is) we’d absolutely be keeping him as the backup striker this season. I’d even argue that’s exactly the kind of backup player we’d want to have!

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You’re saying this like it’s a bad thing? If it wasn’t for Duran wanting to leave (or an attitude problem, whatever it is) we’d absolutely be keeping him as the backup striker this season. I’d even argue that’s exactly the kind of backup player we’d want to have!

Duran’s ability is something worth keeping him around for if we don’t find a buyer this window. I don’t believe in bomb squads either - and I trust Unai will know how to manage him if he stays. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Unless we do something remarkable this season or if Ollie’s numbers drop off, I think he’ll be after a move next summer, last chance for a big move for him I’d think 

How much bigger than playing for a Champion's League team, competing at the top end of the toughest division in the world, can you get? He's not going to go to Real Madrid or Man City, so where else is a bigger move? No other club can guarantee silverware of equal quality more than us. Of course other big clubs might win stuff that we don't, but I think you are selling us short, suggesting that our best players will want to leave us like in the past with Delph and Barry. Just my opinion though.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, striker said:

Villa have a lot of games to play this season so Watkins will need a rest in cup and league games to be fresh for CL. Fullkrug would have been given plenty of game time as would any other striker particularly if Duran is sold.

you think we have the draw and can feed watkins + an experienced international out and out number 9 striker as back up?

i don't

and like i said, next to no PL teams do, even newcastle you could say do it because wilson is permanently crocked so doesnt make noise over not starting

the likes of fullkrug, david, tammy etc i just don't see it happening

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes, it is a bad thing - it's disruptive and not good for club or player. 

Our supposed interest in Beier makes a lot of sense as he can play 9, on both flanks or as AM/SS. Has a great engine and is rapid.

Dortmund has entered the chat thou so might be difficult.

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, Herman22 said:

Probably been mentioned before but I’ve always like Gomez. I’d take him if Carlos is off. 

Made of glass and not very good, no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Probably been mentioned before but I’ve always like Gomez. I’d take him if Carlos is off. 

Wouldn't really solve our aerial weakness at CB and I don't think he's great at RB

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yes, it is a bad thing - it's disruptive and not good for club or player. 

I think I'm missing what exactly is disruptive in having a prospect as backup that would be bad for both club and player?

1 hour ago, striker said:

Villa have a lot of games to play this season so Watkins will need a rest in cup and league games to be fresh for CL. Fullkrug would have been given plenty of game time as would any other striker particularly if Duran is sold.

My gut feel is that we'd rather sign someone who can play with Ollie rather than someone who is more of an either / or.  So a "10" who can play either as a "9" or in a wider role.  Or possibly a "9" who can play as a "10".  I think that's why we've signed people like Rogers (and Diaby last season) as they can play across the line.  This still allows us to rest Watkins but it means we can offer more than just "when Ollie's not playing you can start".  Quite a few of our signings under Emery / Monchi have the ability to cover more than one position - which just gives us more options as a team / squad.  It also means that we don't need to have a 15-18 goal a season striker on the bench in case Ollie gets injured - as long as we have a front three / four who can cover those goals between them.  I do think that Rogers gives us more height, muscle and strength in that scenario as opposed to Diaby / Zaniolo.  But I think it's why a Felix or a Beier seems a bit more likely - in that they can play in a different role with Watkins and also provide cover if he gets injured (allbeit in a different way than maybe a straight swap).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think I'm missing what exactly is disruptive in having a prospect as backup that would be bad for both club and player?

Have you just woken up from a coma?

The entire Duran saga ffs 🤣

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Have you just woken up from a coma?

The entire Duran saga ffs 🤣

You seem to be talking about a very specific player now, rather than generally having a prospect as backup rather than an experienced striker... which seemed to be what you were talking about in the first post of yours which I quoted.

Maybe I had misunderstood that starting point!

Hope we get Diaby's replacement in pretty soon to take part in the remaining pre-season fixtures. 

Completely undecided whether that sale was a good one or not. At the minute it isn't looking so but I guess there's plenty of time left. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You seem to be talking about a very specific player now, rather than generally having a prospect as backup rather than an experienced striker... which seemed to be what you were talking about in the first post of yours which I quoted.

Maybe I had misunderstood that starting point!

You may have missed my post explaining my position but the point I made was that a prospect striker will not get the minutes they need to develop properly with Watkins here and their development will be stunted as ar result. They'll not be happy not getting game time and they won't improve at a decent rate.

Duran has handled himself poorly but his concerns were valid and any decent prospect striker is unlikely to feel any happier with the situation. 

My solution is to avoid the problem altogether by signing a player that doesn't need development minutes and isn't going to demand a first-team spot, i.e. a veteran. 

Edited by lexicon

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You may have missed my post explaining my position but the point I made was that a prospect striker will not get the minutes they need to develop properly with Watkins here and their development will be stunted as ar result. They'll not be happy not getting game time and they won't improve at a decent rate.

Duran has handled himself poorly but his concerns were valid and any decent prospect striker is unlikely to feel any happier with the situation. 

My solution is to avoid the problem altogether by signing a player that doesn't need development minutes and isn't going to demand a first-team spot, i.e. a veteran. 

Right... so we're back on track :D

I think the Duran situation (again, aside from how he's publicly done whatever) is exactly as we should operate with regards to a backup striker.  Identify a good prospect, bring them in.  Give them time to study how our setup works/current striker operates etc (which any "veteran" would also need to do anyway) and then allow them limited minutes to be involved on the pitch.  Duran may not have got as many minutes as he'd have liked this season, but he probably played the equivalent of maybe 7 or 8 full games and ended up scoring some crucial goals.  His stock has risen, we'll get far more money for him when selling than as we paid for him and then we find the "next" striker to bring in to fill his void.

Doing it with a veteran is tougher because a] a prospect will move "up" clubs to try and better themselves and will be seen as more of a risk (generally) so the transfer fee is lower; b] you've got to identify a "veteran" who would actively want to not participate in as many matches, but would also be of sufficient calibre to provide a threat off the bench; c] the pool of this latter type of player is far, far smaller than the former type of player and d] it's a worse decision financially.

I'm not even sure who would fit the criteria of being a good, experienced backup to Watkins who is better than/as good as Duran seems to be.  Again, ignoring the fuss over him moving.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â