Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

We needed a DM controller, playmaker.

Onana is a good player but i don't think he is this.

Zubimendi would have been perfect and has a 50m release clause.

Are you suggesting Onana was a bad/wrong purchase?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

The only thing we really need right now is 2 back up CBs (assuming Carlos is off) and a back up goalie  

everything else is just desired 

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Goalkeeper I couldn't care less about, Emi is the number 1 and if he's out we will suffer regardless of who's in nets. We have Gauci and Olsen, I don't think we'll be signing anyone else here.

I don't think we need backups either. We have a huge squad. It's quality that's lacking in certain areas.

IMO, we need a starting defender because whether we play Cash or Carlos I don't think either is good enough. So it would be New-Konsa-Torres-Maatsen, or Konsa-New-Torres-Maatsen. Three of the back 4 we think are probably good enough. If Carlos goes, then we need a new starting defender AND a backup defender (ideally someone young with potential who can become a starter in future, but failing that it might have to be someone like Lenglet again).

And then I would say we need a second striker who can start that replaces Diaby and Luiz's output. I am not convinced what we have currently is enough and none of the attacking players we have signed are starting level quality. That's where Felix will help, or someone similar if we can't sign him. If Duran and Archer both go then I'd say we need another backup striker like Beier.

So two new players to start if we don't sell anyone else in those positions, and four players if we sell Duran, Archer and Carlos. We obviously don't need to replace the likes of Donk and Moreno/Digne because we are already covered in those positions. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. Goalkeeper I couldn't care less about, Emi is the number 1 and if he's out we will suffer regardless of who's in nets. We have Gauci and Olsen, I don't think we'll be signing anyone else here.

I don't think we need backups either. We have a huge squad. It's quality that's lacking in certain areas.

IMO, we need a starting defender because whether we play Cash or Carlos I don't think either is good enough. So it would be New-Konsa-Torres-Maatsen, or Konsa-New-Torres-Maatsen. Three of the back 4 we think are probably good enough. If Carlos goes, then we need a new starting defender AND a backup defender (ideally someone young with potential who can become a starter in future, but failing that it might have to be someone like Lenglet again).

And then I would say we need a second striker who can start that replaces Diaby and Luiz's output. I am not convinced what we have currently is enough and none of the attacking players we have signed are starting level quality. That's where Felix will help, or someone similar if we can't sign him. If Duran and Archer both go then I'd say we need another backup striker like Beier.

So two new players to start if we don't sell anyone else in those positions, and four players if we sell Duran, Archer and Carlos. We obviously don't need to replace the likes of Donk and Moreno/Digne because we are already covered in those positions. 

I totally agree.

While you are seemed to be very worried, I’m a bit more calm about the timing because these things take time but everything you’ve said above I agree with with what we need still.  We definitely need a top class defender and forward as a minimum imo.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Surprise? We paid 85 million for them.

They better be guaranteed hits for them fees

That was more aimed at people already writing them off. I’m very excited to see them both in action more. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

That was more aimed at people already writing them off. I’m very excited to see them both in action more. 

No one has patience. Took Pau awhile to get up to speed but eventually became vital to our style of play. I can see Onana evolving in a similar way.

12 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Wasn't our last PL match a 5-0 dismantling with Dougie in place? And remember May? Schooled by Olympiakos -- with Dougie right in the heart of things. And recall how we squeezed out a vital draw against Liverpool on 13 May, where Tielemans was actually the key?

Dougie is a great player I loved, but he was no sacred talisman, and generally, had seemed sort of lost and distracted for weeks last season. He also seemed like someone who wanted to move on. We don't want that in our club. It ain't good for the mood.

Can we please stop talking about him and focus on the players we have and could be signing?

Cheers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Can we please stop talking about him and focus on the players we have and could be signing?

I'm sure the talking will die a natural Villa Talk death, don't you? Not really an either/or discussion, as I see it, more about emphasis. Douglas Luiz's transfer understandably prompts plenty of detailed speculation about what he did and didn't contribute to help us think about "players we have and could be signing".

• Like 1

How I see it is that the performances in the US were trash!

But that was down to the fact we are trying to bed in a number of new players, have lost a few too, and have had to pad out the squad with a lot of youngsters, and players that probably won't be here come the close of the transfer window.

Barkley, Tielemens, and Barrenechea are all deep lying playmakers. Onana has more about him than just ball winning. Onana and Barrenechea have far superior defensive abilities compared Luiz. However the positioning and movement of the whole team are way off right now.

Defense is certainly an issue. Even with Konsa and Martinez back. Carlos just hasn't worked out, I still believe he is a good player, but not the right fit. We need to sell him and bring in a commanding stopper with pace.

Right back is an issue for me. Nedeljovic is a better player than Cash. I like Cash, but don't trust him. However Nedeljovic will need time. So if we could sell Cash and replace with better I'd be happy. 

Left cb should also be addressed, Mings is back in October, but he won't be fully match fit and sharp till Christmas. Bogarde may be able to cover him, looks a premier league player in the making, but he is small (for a cb).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tayls said:

Yea… but based on what I have seen so far, we have possibly two starters out of six. And as I say, I don’t believe the starting 11 is stronger than what it was last season so far. 

You're trying to review a concert based on a 2 pm soundcheck with several different types of connecting audio cables and out-of-tune instruments. Needs time. Even a Gibson ES-335 sounds like shit if it's out of tune and everyone's still playing in different keys -- doesn't matter how great the songwriting is until things are synced and practised.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Cheers.

Why should we not. We havent replaced him with a better player and with him and Diaby gone our starting 11 is weaker than last season at the moment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

They better be guaranteed hits for them fees

Sorry @Zatman but you and i know there is no such thing as guaranteed in football or life for that matter

Spoiler

(except death and taxes😝)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OLDVILLAN said:

Sorry @Zatman but you and i know there is no such thing as guaranteed in football or life for that matter

Reveal hidden contents

(except death and taxes😝)

Absolutely i was going say that. But the only surprise from 85 million worth of players would be if they were shit and not if they were good 😝

I hope they wont be obviously

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Going off friendly results we're more likely to be in a relegation battle than chasing top 4 this season.

"Ludmilla! Just stay where you are!!!!!" 😉 😁 We need to not panic, I feel -- and I don't think Unai will. We're right where we're supposed to be.

Oh and i get all the doom and gloom about the pre-season but trying to bed in players is tough.

The biggest problem that i have noticed during the American tour is a lack of a solid leader on the pitch.

Monchi has been very clever with money etc and the duran situation was all of wet spams making.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Going off friendly results we're more likely to be in a relegation battle than chasing top 4 this season.

Hopefully we see some new quality faces soon.

Villa, United and Chelsea in a relegation battle. Sky be loving that

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'm sure the talking will die a natural Villa Talk death, don't you? Not really an either/or discussion, as I see it, more about emphasis. Douglas Luiz's transfer understandably prompts plenty of detailed speculation about what he did and didn't contribute to help us think about "players we have and could be signing".

Tired of all the arguments and debates about whether he was even any good (which he was). I just think we should look forwards rather than backwards and accept he’s no longer a part of us. Most of the discussion around him has been done to death really.

We can discuss what we lack and how we need to strengthen without even mentioning imo but fine, it’s not my place to tell anyone what to do. Just a suggestion.

Oh well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why should we not. We havent replaced him with a better player and with him and Diaby gone our starting 11 is weaker than last season at the moment

Again, just think it’s been done to death but fine… carry on. Just sick of all the arguing and unnecessary/repetitive criticism personally.

We’ve also discussed whether we’re trying a different approach. I don’t think we’re looking for that creativity or delivery from midfield (which we have added physicality and defensive ability and options to) so much or quite to the same level and more relying on our forwards to bring it, and possibly a new number 10.

Harder to beat or score against would be a good priority to have… would be nice to see some reinforcement of the defence for that too.

Edited by Jas10

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â